PDA

View Full Version : New UK Graduates - Proof of degree?

JayDubya
June 1st, 2004, 23:19
Tidings all...

I've just noticed something.

My letter from JET states that I need to take a photocopy of degree certificate or a letter from the uni confirming the success of my degree to the pre-departure orientation (7th July).

However, final course marks aren't collated at the uni until the 9th of July, so not even the uni will know my result until then!

As I understand it, my uni is quite an early finisher in terms of semesters. I was wondering if anyone else graduating this year has got this problem?

Cornelius
June 1st, 2004, 23:26
Tidings all...

I've just noticed something.

My letter from JET states that I need to take a photocopy of degree certificate or a letter from the uni confirming the success of my degree to the pre-departure orientation (7th July).

However, final course marks aren't collated at the uni until the 9th of July, so not even the uni will know my result until then!

As I understand it, my uni is quite an early finisher in terms of semesters. I was wondering if anyone else graduating this year has got this problem?

I don't have this problem, thankfully (although I did have fun with a missing certificate).

Have you notified the JET office of this date mismatch? If you haven't, I would do so immediately.

C.

JayDubya
June 1st, 2004, 23:35
Hi

Yeh i told the JET office about it just now. Here's the reply they gave me:

So long as it is on headed paper and signed and states what degree you have achieved, that will be fine. If the results are out on Friday 9th July, and the letter could be issued on that date, then posted, we should receive it by Tuesday 13th July.

I will make a note on the system saying we shall receive it then, but if you
encounter any problems please do contact us again.

It's still a bit of a tight deadline though. Nice of them to say that they should recieve it by the 13th!

All these little obstacles keep on popping up!! Aaargh! :evil:

JayDubya
June 1st, 2004, 23:58
Yeh that's what I thought they meant. It seems like there loads of things in this process that can go wrong or not be in the right place at the right time.

I think there is a slight urgency for this document though, JET say that it is not possible to issue a visa without it - which takes time to process.

Ah well, never mind. Tell you what though, that first beer in Japan is gonna be fantastic.. as will the 15 that will quickly follow it!

Dynamis
June 2nd, 2004, 22:14
I think they meant that they "should" receive it, as in "if royal mail don't cock it up", not "we must have it by...". I don't think there's any urgency on receiving it, as long as they get it before you go :)

Have to disagree with you there. The proof of graduation thingie is a visa requirement, which is why they want it at orientation with the visa application form.

If you explain the situation, I doubt you'll be the first/only one, so they should be ok with it. They can probably process the visa and then await proof before issueing or something.

Shotokai
June 2nd, 2004, 23:06
what exactly do they need if you can't get the certificate until late july?
is it just a signed letter on headed paper saying how I've been awarded a degree? just want to know so i can sort it out, as i doubt i'll get the certificate before july. but i can get the letter.
and then i can take it with me to london. they did say if you have it take it then as it will speed up the process.
tom

JayDubya
June 3rd, 2004, 00:39
Shotokai:

what exactly do they need if you can't get the certificate until late july?

Yeh they told me just a letter, headed and signed is ok. They need to know that you have a degree as it is a pre-requisite.

Paul:

Uhm... They don't want it at orientation. Where did you see this?

In my little pack that invited me to pre-departure orientation there was an additional letter that stated as I probably wouldn't have my degree certificate by then, I should take one of these letters from the uni as well as the visa from and passport.