PDA

View Full Version : Gunma-ken

besu
June 2nd, 2004, 09:04
No one had started a thread for Gunma people so I thought I would. I have found a couple of other Gunma residents or soon-to-be residents, and thought we could all get together and exchange info here. So, here is a bit of info about me.

I have been placed in Takasaki-shi and I requested Maebashi-shi which is right next door so I am very happy with my placement. I was in Maebashi for a little 3 week exchange in high school and really enjoyed my time there. I am still in contact with my host father and the exchange coordinator and they are a fount of information. My name is Beth (hence besu). I am from Kansas and just graduated from KU (the Uni of Kansas). I am 27 and will be bringing my four-year-old daughter with me. I will be coming over in Group B.

For incoming JETs/current JETs = Who are you? Where are you going?/Where do you live? With what group are you coming?/How long have you been there? Tell us a bit about yourself.

Bryan
June 7th, 2004, 10:35
Hi Beth and everyone,

I have also been placed in Takasaki-shi, which I am quite happy with as well because I requested Gunma-ken since my Japanese fiance and her family live in Ota, about 1 hour 15 minutes east of Takasaki.
Anyway, a little about me. I am 31 years old, have been working at a used bookstore here in Tacoma Washington for the past three years, and have degrees in print journalism and political science from the Univ. of Southern California (grad '95). I spent some time in the journalism field after college, but gave up on it for the time being in the fall of 2000.
Takasaki looks like my kind of city... not too big, not too small, has lots of green hills around it (much like Washington here) and so far I have been impressed by the brochures and information I've learned from Takasaki from their website.
Lastly, I have been placed in a junior high school (I'm not sure if it's just one or more than one) and will be doing up to 30 days a year in elementary schools. I am also very happy with this because if I come home to teach English, I think I want to teach junior high kids.
Okay, hope to hear from others!

-Bryan

felixthebrat
June 9th, 2004, 10:03
Hello! My name is Kiriko Pratt and I was placed in Maebashi City. Just got the welcome packet from Gunma, and it looks pretty sweet! I'm a 25 year old from Humboldt County, California and I just finished up with a journalism degree. I'm looking forward to settling into my aparto and going out for a bite to eat! Maybe a spot of clubbing as well! 8)

phill
June 10th, 2004, 08:36
hey everyone!

my name is phill, I just got the newbbies packet from Gunma-ken.
I am siked, and I am happy with my placement...heck I am happy that I am going to be in Japan. I'll be living in Isesaki, and in the mean time I am hoping to hear from my contracting organization.
I have my Sociology degree from Stony Brook Uni and I am 24 years old.
I'll be leaving with the A group from NY and i look foward to meeting everyone in Tokyo!

later

Phill

phill
June 11th, 2004, 10:10
Hey,

i still haven't recieved my contract or anything from my predesesor.
has anyone been contacted yet. if so can you do me a favor and ask if they know anyone in Isesaki?
domo arigato!

Phill

mistress_pooky
June 12th, 2004, 03:00
Hey all! I know I've talked to a couple of you already but not *all* of you (yet!). My name is Candace and my placement is in Yoshioka-machi, which is a little town just north of Maebashi. I am a recent graduate of the College of St. Catherine, which is a private women's college in the heart of St. Paul, Minnesota. I graduated with a degree in Political Sci and a minor in Econ. Last year I studied in japan and knew I had to go back one day. I was in the Chiba/Tokyo area and wanted to get away from the concrete this time around. So far I've found out from my pred that my place is a little japanese house with cows for neighbors, and that I will be teaching at two elementary schools and a junior high. Everyone seems so friendly, which has been very helpful in easing my nerves. I will be leaving with group A out of chicago, so I'll be seeing seeing a lot of you very soon! We'll have to plan an outing of some sort. 8)

pepperphd
June 15th, 2004, 00:30
Konnichiwa, all ye girls/boys-next-door-to-be,

I'll be joining you in Gunma-ken, in the little (pop: 7,000) town of Onishi. Having grown up a urban/suburban California boy, I'm preparing for the rural culture shock. *laugh* I'm also very much looking forward to the experience, and to (hopefully) meeting many of you in the process.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I'm hoping to use my time in Japan not just to teach but to explore both Japan and other nearby countries in East and Southeast Asia -- I could always use a travel buddy, so if you're interested feel free to drop me a line!

go, go, Gunma!
Daniel

felixthebrat
June 19th, 2004, 07:27
What are the hot spots, or must-see places in Gunma? My vote's for one of the hot springs! :D

besu
June 19th, 2004, 15:21
I second the hot springs idea! I have really been looking forward to visiting one. Excellent idea Felix =)

pepperphd
June 23rd, 2004, 11:24
My vote's for two (or three, or four) of the hot springs! :lol:

lilla_hallon
June 29th, 2004, 16:12
Hey Newbies :) Just wanted to say hello and welcome. I am Raygan, I live in Annaka, which is the neighboring city to Takasaki. I am the 'regional coordinator' for the region, which means I organize some random drinking events and stuff for Takasaki, Annaka, and even all the way out to Onishi. By the way, Daniel, your predecessor is a really good friend of mine, and you have a SWEET deal on your house. Is great. Looking forward to your first party :D

anyway, I am 26 from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Have been in Gunma on JET for 2 years. Will be starting summer holidays in the next few weeks, meaning I will be sitting in the office on the computer all day since I wont have classes. If you have any questions/concerns just mail me. so you know, I teach at a JHS 4 days a week and switch among 8 Elementary on Mondays. I teach about 18-24 classes a week.

I am not going away until the end of August, so really excited to meet you all. Everyone I know it seems, is leaving this year... so I will be around if anyone feels like hanging out, drinking... (i know I sound pathetic, but I am not! I swear 8) )

Anyway, good luck guys. Dont stress. Enjoy Tokyo orientation... for those of you leaving from Vancouver, enjoy the free booze at the send off!

besu
June 29th, 2004, 23:53
Thanks, I can't wait to move in although at this point I am worried about money. But hopefully my first paycheck will assuage me. I will definitely have a party there. My first may be in the first three weeks, before my daughter joins me. See you in Gunma, please keep in touch!

besu

fenyx66
August 18th, 2004, 01:39
I was an alternate that was just upgraded to Meiwa-michi in Gunma. I have a house and I will be working in the JHS and 2 or 3 of the elementary schools. I am looking forward to it. I don't fly into Tokyo until August 25. I feel left out of everything being a latecomer, didn't get to go to the orientations and such. All I know is I have a house and some really cool coworkers. See you guys there.

fenyx66
April 14th, 2005, 14:34
Thread Revival Activation

besu
April 14th, 2005, 15:00
wow, didn't know I was still down as watching this topic

well done fenyx

who's staying?

fenyx66
April 14th, 2005, 16:05
i am staying next year. and I know of two others who are in towns next to me who are staying, but alas, they are not on the forums.