PDA

View Full Version : Does Osaka miso soup have bonito [katsuwo] flakes in it?

raumkatze
June 3rd, 2004, 12:47
Does it? I want to know because I don't eat fish, and I want to know whether or not I should avoid miso soup while in Osaka.

katharine
June 3rd, 2004, 13:36
Miso soup (and most anything soupy in Japan) has fish stock as the basic ingredient. Will you avoid that too? If you do, avoid any soups. Avoid all food, lol.

Grasshopper
June 3rd, 2004, 15:29
Yeah, Fish stock is a staple ingredient in Japanese cooking. Soba, soups, even many boiled dishes. Even if you go to great lengths to avoid it, you are going to eat it at sometime because it is in EVERYTHING!

Xeno
June 3rd, 2004, 15:37
Why do you avoid fish raumkatze? You have allergy to fish? :?:

cottamg
June 3rd, 2004, 17:30
Does it? I want to know because I don't eat fish, and I want to know whether or not I should avoid miso soup while in Osaka.

Yay!!! I'm not going to be the only freak who doesn't eat fish in Japan!!!!

(although, I did know about the benito flakes being in everything... )

and before anyone asks, I'm not allergic, I just don't like the taste. oh well... I need to lose weight anyway... ;)

raumkatze
June 4th, 2004, 00:01
For ethical reasons, I try to avoid eating meat and fish if I can help it. I remember hearing in another thread that the miso soup of some regions does not contain bonito extract, and I was wonder whether Osaka's miso soup was one of those regions.

professor_chimpenstein
June 4th, 2004, 00:46
Im not a big fan of fish - but i guess it aint so bad in soup

And the way I m lookin at eating in Japan is if im hungry enough Ill eat anything.

Rumble rumble - wheres that Spam?

James

Nikbot
June 8th, 2004, 18:56
You might have to hang around with the Buddhist monks, Raumkatze. Outside of monasteries, I hear it's a real uphill battle to find any food without some kind of animal in it.

Fortunately for me, I'm an omnivore!