PDA

View Full Version : Survival Strategies

cottamg
June 3rd, 2004, 20:20
I really think some people are going to freak out when they first arrive. I know I probably will, so I've been looking for advice / info on what to do, etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this. One of the best bits of advice I've found.

http://www.jetaasc.org/php/article.php?content=survival

followed up on the author... his site is great..

check it out here. Lots of other advice to be found.

http://www.debito.org/index.html

Enjoy, and feel free to write about how you are going to cope.

dobharrison
June 3rd, 2004, 20:31
That was really interesting reading! Very handy stuff. Thanks!

cottamg
June 3rd, 2004, 21:01
Hmmm.. it probably fits under this heading as well, but as part of the survival strategies, what are people going to do about money?... savings / bank accounts, etc...

From what I can tell one of the best accounts is actually through the post office.. go figure..

http://www.geocities.com/thisjetstory/living/po.html

This site says:

"Post Offices offer all the services of conventional post offices like mail, package delivery services and money orders. In addition to this, you can also open a money savings account.

I found that this was the most convenient place to keep my monthly spending money because post office kiosks are more common and easily found in every town in Japan. Also, post office ATMs are open at more convenient hours."

sounds good to me... anyone else got any suggestions?

cottamg
June 3rd, 2004, 21:33
That was really interesting reading! Very handy stuff. Thanks!

Thank god.. I thought it would only be me posting in this thing. :)

oh well.... now I know a lot of ppl are curious about how much general day to day stuff costs in Japan.. and so with out further ado, I give you PriceCheckTokyo. Day to Day costs of everyday things in Tokyo.. updated regularly.

http://www.pricechecktokyo.com/

I'm guessing most other places will be CHEAPER than in Tokyo.. correct me if I'm wrong. :)

professor_chimpenstein
June 3rd, 2004, 21:58
oh crap i just found out cigarettes are only 270 - 280 Yen for 20.

Thats like 4 times cheaper than in the UK.

Its like they want me to smoke!

:cry: James

dobharrison
June 3rd, 2004, 22:44
When cigarettes are cheaper than fruit and vegetables, something's wrong somewhere.

I agree with the Post Office accounts. The cash machines are all in English and shout at you when you press the 'English' button! And they dispense coins as well as notes, so I think you could withdraw 1 yen if you want!

cottamg
June 3rd, 2004, 22:57
When cigarettes are cheaper than fruit and vegetables, something's wrong somewhere.

I agree with the Post Office accounts. The cash machines are all in English and shout at you when you press the 'English' button! And they dispense coins as well as notes, so I think you could withdraw 1 yen if you want!

I read an interesting statistic saying approx. 60% of japanese males smoke and ~26% of japanese females .. probably would be higher but small children don't smoke.. :) (or do they?.. *shudder*

and I have never been to Japan, so I can only go on what other ppl say.. but so far, pretty much everyone has said "use the Post Office".. "send your money home through the post office!" :)

dobharrison
June 3rd, 2004, 23:28
Can you say that you want 100 yen in 1 yen coins? When it starts dropping the coins, start jumping up and down and shouting "SUGOIIIII!!! I WON I WON!!!!" :lol: :lol:

Help...

Paul, is your avatar kneeling on the floor or jumping in the air?

cottamg
June 4th, 2004, 00:05
Kneeling down :)

Ok.. I'm offically disturbed now.. :)

adammoogle
June 4th, 2004, 01:52
Paul, is your avatar kneeling on the floor or jumping in the air?

i'm pretty sure she's dead and been manipulated by a complex series of strings...

(i'm also pretty sure she had a cameo in thunderbirds)

Dave
June 4th, 2004, 01:55
Okay I wasn't disturbed by Paul's avatar...but I am now!
cheers Adam!

professor_chimpenstein
June 4th, 2004, 03:27
Adam Moogle said

i'm pretty sure she's dead and been manipulated by a complex series of strings...

So thats how Michael flatley does it!

:lol:

cottamg
June 4th, 2004, 09:18
Adam Moogle said

So thats how Michael flatley does it!

:lol:

damn you ppl.. stop hijacking my thread! back on topic.... survival strategies, etc!!!!

IowaJET
June 4th, 2004, 11:07
Thank you for the link...this was a very interesting and helpful article.