PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Shipping!

Faustus
June 4th, 2004, 06:13
Hey all,

I stopped by my local post office to mail some stuff today, and while there I asked about shipping to Japan. My helpful postal worker photocopied several pages of shipping info for me, and I thought the other US JETs hanging around here might find the information useful.

Economy Mail (i.e. surface mail) rates begin at $23.25 for a package under 5 lbs and go up to $62.85 for a package that's 44 lbs. That's actually less than I expected, and if you're mailing winter clothes and stuff, it's not bad at all, IMHO.

There are also special rates for doing bulk mailings of books and/or sheet music. To qualify for this, though, you've got to send 50 lbs or more, either in one package or as a combined total of several packages, which will run you around $60. If you're a big reader, though, it might be an option- or if you're part of a couple sending a lot of books. You might also be able to get together with a few JETs in your ken to do something with this, but I'd think that would be better arranged from Japan with the family.

Dulcinea
June 4th, 2004, 06:26
I also sropped and go tthe same info, however it is important to add that when you ship stuff via surfaced mail there are box size restrictions.

Length: 60 inches
Length+girth: 108 inches
Girth means measuring ALL THE WAY around the box.

Beq
June 4th, 2004, 07:24
For us Aussies thinking of sending stuff in a parcel, we're not nearly so lucky as the Americans. For one thing, Aus Post doesn't do sea mail to Japan. We can only send parcels economy air or airmail. It's quite expensive, but is still a lot cheaper than excess baggage prices. The heaviest a parcel can be is 20kgs, and no more than 1m x 1m big. The below link is to the Aus post page about mail to Japan, and you can get to the postage assessment calculator from there too.

http://www1.auspost.com.au/international/index.asp?action=intlookup&sub=1

Supposing I sent myself a 20kg box of clothes. books and whatnot, it would cost $135.00. Ouch. But most airlines would charge you alot more for the same, plus you'd have to deal with it between the airport and your new home!

Dynamis
June 4th, 2004, 08:08
You can both count yourselves lucky. 20kg from Britain costs about £120 = about $240 US !!!

Dynamis
June 4th, 2004, 18:09
I'll have to check, but it takes 20 - 30 days to arrive, so...