PDA

View Full Version : Keymoney / rent

professor_chimpenstein
June 4th, 2004, 16:30
I just recieved another email from The osaka shi (city) BOE

It explained to me some good and some slightly not so good things about my accomodation.

Aparrently we do not have to pay any key money (good)

The rent is between 55000 and 75000 Yen per month (not so good)

Air conditioner, Washing machine, Fridge, TV and VCR.
One table and two chairs, a small wardrobe are provided.

How does this sound? and is 55000 - 75000 very expensive?

James

katharine
June 4th, 2004, 16:33
Compared to my 20,500 a month for a house it is. :wink:

But seriously, in the cities it gets ridiculously expensive.

Dynamis
June 4th, 2004, 16:36
Yes, I've heard up to 70000 Yen as rent in cities is quite common. Sounds like its not being subsidized (or its really nice)

MAtt

professor_chimpenstein
June 4th, 2004, 17:03
Yeah i guess it is kinda expensive but llokin at it its only £343 a month which aint bad compared with British prices.

Dave
June 4th, 2004, 20:16
I'll be paying 20,000 Yen (about £120/month) for my apartment :D
That's dirt cheap compared to what I'm used to paying in the UK :)

Hannah
June 5th, 2004, 05:14
I will be paying 44000 yen / month. It should be 71000 yen but it is subsidised by the BoE.

Sounds quite cheap to me, but I don't know what the flat is like!

Han X

cottamg
June 5th, 2004, 10:22
I just recieved another email from The osaka shi (city) BOE

It explained to me some good and some slightly not so good things about my accomodation.

Aparrently we do not have to pay any key money (good)

The rent is between 55000 and 75000 Yen per month (not so good)

Air conditioner, Washing machine, Fridge, TV and VCR.
One table and two chairs, a small wardrobe are provided.

How does this sound? and is 55000 - 75000 very expensive?

James

Nope.. that sounds about right... I did a lot of research on rent. (before I found out I was going country and probably going to get a house.. (but I'll save that for another thread... ESID)...

that rent amount is about average... those going to Tokyo.. (and that will be living IN tokyo will probably be paying closer to 100,000 yen / month.

Jay
June 5th, 2004, 11:17
Does anyone have an idea of what the average rent is in the Tohoku region before subsidization, compared to the average rent of Tokyo, Nara, Osaka etc. I'm curious.

katharine
June 5th, 2004, 14:05
I think it depends what type of town/city you are in. Even in one small region you could have a big big difference. In the cities the rent goes up way more than more rural areas. My rural placement is giving me a rent that is a third of what I pay here in Seattle every month. :wink:

justhis1nce
June 5th, 2004, 15:22
For comparison with Osaka, the Kobe letter said people without dependents will pay 30,000-35,000 (no key money). If I remember correctly, we get curtains (woo!), a refrigerator, an "electric fan" which I'm hoping translates into "air conditioner," lights (whatever that means), bedding (futon, pillow, etc), and a phone line (which is pretty cool because they're expensive and the BOE pays installation fees).

Jay
June 5th, 2004, 22:05
I see. Thanks for the info. I will be in Aomori city. The city has a population of about 300,000, but I hear the living costs are much cheaper in the north. I guess I will find out soon.

yabighoor
June 5th, 2004, 23:38
I see. Thanks for the info. I will be in Aomori city. The city has a population of about 300,000, but I hear the living costs are much cheaper in the north. I guess I will find out soon.

I'll be somewhere in Tohoku as well, Iwate, they havn't told me where yet.

Anyone know the difference between a prefectural and municipal jet?

JenrYOKO
June 6th, 2004, 08:53
I think the OP's situation is really cheap for a city. I'm in the middle of Yokohama city and I had to pay the key money and everything, plus my rent is 80,000/month! And, I had to buy furniture from my predecessor (nothing was provided). BUT, I own everything myself, so I don't have any headaches with my BOE telling me what to do with my place, and if I decide to stay after JET, I already have my home prepared!

And the difference between prefectural and municipal is just the person who hired you. Prefectural JETs are GENERALLY in high schools, Municipal are GENERALLY in jhs/elementary. That's because (at least in Kanagawa) the prefecture administers the high schools whereas the cities administer the lower levels.

Faustus
June 6th, 2004, 15:13
For comparison with Osaka, the Kobe letter said people without dependents will pay 30,000-35,000 (no key money). If I remember correctly, we get curtains (woo!), a refrigerator, an "electric fan" which I'm hoping translates into "air conditioner," lights (whatever that means), bedding (futon, pillow, etc), and a phone line (which is pretty cool because they're expensive and the BOE pays installation fees).

Wow, that's really sweet, actually. Especially the phone line- and if you decide not to buy anything your pred's trying to sell, you won't be left with an empty house and nowhere to sleep your first night, which is nice. I wouldn't cry if they gave me a similar deal over in Miki (not that there's any reason to expect there to be, but allow me wistful hope until I get a letter telling me I'll be arriving to an empty shell of a house until I fork over the big bucks).

This is actually one of the biggest reasons I want to hear from my pred ASAP- if I am going to have to buy stuff, furnish my own place or whatever, it'd be helpful to hear about it soon, so I can let whoever I need to know know early enough to sell whatever I'm not buying. And if there's some huge initial outlay for wherever I'm going, it'd be good to hear about it sooner rather than later. Argh... frustrations.... :?

llumynia
June 8th, 2004, 13:42

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 17:21
my apartment is bitty according to my pred, but it's only $260 a month and is less than a minute from the train station (sweet) Rural pays off!

hell yeah rural pays off.. I'm getting cheap rent, AND I'm in the mountains, so I might be able to learn how to ski!!!

morikyd
June 8th, 2004, 17:29
So far, so awesome!
I am in a little city 15 min walk from a train station. I get a two story town house (living room, two bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom) and I only have to pay around 70 dollars a month for rent. I feel that I have won a lottery. Even if its run down (it was described as old) I will have the extra cash to fix it up to where I like it, I figure.
There is a graveyard in the backyard...hopefully the rent isnt low because of vengeful spirits that will attempt to extract the gaijin from their sacred grounds....No, I think I am just lucky. I hope...

professor_chimpenstein
June 8th, 2004, 21:23
ok ok - congrats to all you people who dont have to pay rent - youve made me feel much better about living in Osaka. :?

Although apparently i do get a little bit more in my wages to balance out the high rent. At least thats what my boe said. :D

Cant really complain anyway - it was my first choice

James