PDA

View Full Version : scooters and scooter licences

Dave
June 4th, 2004, 20:08
Hi everyone!

If you're like me and don't have a driving licence, but you're worried about getting around in Japan, I have some news for you :D
Apparently there's somewhere near Tokyo where you can learn to ride a scooter and get the licence (all in English) in one day. It costs around £80 for the test and licence, and apparently scooters are pretty cheap to come by in Japan.
Hope this is of use to someone...
:)

dobharrison
June 4th, 2004, 20:11
That is very interesting. I wonder if we'll have time to go!

yabighoor
June 4th, 2004, 20:23
Wonderful, is it just in Tokyo? 3 hours on shinkansen from main town in my prefecture so could be a bit of a trek!!

dobharrison
June 4th, 2004, 20:25
I think they have them throughout Japan, but not all of them offer the training and test in English. You should be near one of them, though.

Dave
June 4th, 2004, 20:28
Wonderful, is it just in Tokyo? 3 hours on shinkansen from main town in my prefecture so could be a bit of a trek!!

I'm not sure to be honest, but even if it is a trek it still might be worth doing. (especially if you're in Inakaville like me!)

Jonathan
June 4th, 2004, 20:57
Ooh,

I'll be on the lookout for one of those. A scooter will be a prize asset for us inaka jets! Keep me posted guys if you find out anything else on these test centres. Ta! :P

Jonathan

xx

Eazer
June 6th, 2004, 01:40
do you know if you have to have insurance for driving a scooter like for driving a car?

solacegirl
June 6th, 2004, 07:46
I quite fancy a Vespa as I'll be inaka-bound too and I reckon it'll be cheaper than public transport. Do you have to pay shakken for Scooters?

Soph

cottamg
June 6th, 2004, 10:51
ooooooooooh yeah... I want a scooter!!!!! :)

heh.. I can see it now... maybe I should get a black leather jacket to go with it.? :)

KenBells
June 6th, 2004, 22:59
Maybe this info will be useful for potential scooter owners:

No shaken required
Tax is about 1000 yen per year (about 40000+ for a car)
Compulsory insurance costs me 8000 yen per year

I highly recommend scootering if you can handle yourself confidently on the roads. You need to ride very defensively to stay alive, but its probably no more dangerous than riding a bicycle anyway.

I got my bike through a huge county-wide network, you can search using various criteria to find the cheapest, nastiest little buzzbox in your area.

www.goobike.com

Oh, and you can probably use an IDP legally for a scooter. When you go to change your IDP to a Japanese licence you are allowed to ride a scooter with it without any testing or extra paperwork, at least that's the case where I am at.

whyfiite
June 7th, 2004, 00:40
Do you happen to have the phone number handy and can display it here on the board? Maybe someone who speaks/reads good Japanese can call on behalf of all of us here to find out if there are other "branches" in other prefectures that can accommodate those who are interested in using this mode of transportation vs a ten speed bike.
Thanks for the fantastic idea------it is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

KenBells
June 7th, 2004, 09:56
Do you happen to have the phone number handy and can display it here on the board? Maybe someone who speaks/reads good Japanese can call on behalf of all of us here to find out if there are other "branches" in other prefectures that can accommodate those who are interested in using this mode of transportation vs a ten speed bike.
Thanks for the fantastic idea------it is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Phone number? Depends on which shop you want, and that depends on which shop has the bike you want and where you are etc.

WHen you get here ask a local to help you find a bike through that web site. I can't read kanji but I managed to get what I wanted anyway. Its a Japan-wide network, they will have shops in your area don't worry.

I'd be happy to search for you, just tell me where you are and what you want.