PDA

View Full Version : How much rent are you paying?

Dave
June 4th, 2004, 20:26
Just curious!

Jay
June 5th, 2004, 01:10
I hope I fond out soon! I sure hope it's less then 40,000 Yen.

Hannah
June 5th, 2004, 05:00
Mine is gonna be 44,000 yen It should be 77,000 yen but it is subsidised by the BoE. I thought that seemed quite cheap! (Compared to Oxfordshire prices anyway!) How come some folk aren't paying at all? That doesn't seem fair!

Han X

Ageha
June 5th, 2004, 05:02
10,000! Okay, so it's not a free apartment, but $90 plus many important ammeneties is nothing to complain about. ;p

Dave
June 5th, 2004, 05:27
mine's 20,000/month, for the record.
I know what you mean about some people getting rent free accomodation Hannah- but I daren't complain as it looks like other people are paying a heck of a lot more than me! :D

gan8sha
June 5th, 2004, 07:06
I'm at 27500, but that seems really cheap to me for a house. I live in Madison, WI and rent here is expensive!!! So, I will be very happy to have relatively cheap rent fot a while (although I do wish I was in that no rent category :wink: )

-Amy

cottamg
June 5th, 2004, 10:31
I think I'll be paying around 10,000yen a month for a house. but I'm hidden away in the mountains... :)

*starts chanting the JET mantra*

ESID oooooohhhhhmmmmmm ESID oooohhhmmmm :)

Chiara
June 5th, 2004, 17:26
i think, from my BOE education pack, that they subsidise anything over 1man. so um, £50 per month rent? Hell yeah!

kellicopter
June 5th, 2004, 18:43
im paying 10 000Y and i live in a biggish town , there is a department store, one or two pubs ,a few restaraunts so not complete countryside
which seems very cheap....bills are excluded

kell

llumynia
June 8th, 2004, 13:46
only paying $260... how do you people end up in that "nothing" category, where are you stationed?!?

But seriously I'm happy with $260, esp considering I'm paying $700 here for rent now... I'm gonna feel like royalty with that extra money every month!

Soma
June 8th, 2004, 13:52
Nothing! No Key money, and mostly furnished. Sweet deal. I am also in a medium size city (300 000) which is cool. I am living with the 5 other JETs assigned to Fukushima City, so I suspect that perhaps the living quarters are owned by the school or they have some other beneficient arrangement set up. It seems all I have to do is negotiate with my pred for the purchase of the phone license, and ring up the Sky Perfect people as a Satellite tuner is already there. Too easy.

d
June 8th, 2004, 16:11
i'm a 2nd year JET going green at how many of you aren't paying rent...i shell out 53,000 a month, and that's not including nearly another 10,000 of bills...and i'm in a small suburb, (15,000), with not even a karaoke booth to its name...admittedly, my place is aMAZing, (my bath runs itself at any time i program, keeps itself at a set temperature and calls me when it's ready...i s@*t you not!!!), and i chose it over other cheaper places, but the words 'free' and 'subsidised' didn't even come up in conversation with my supervisor!!!

i'm in Oita, daaahn saaahf, but i only know one other person in the entire KEN who gets a free apartment, and if you saw it you'd know why, (they're actually tearing it down this month!!!). still, i was paying this much to share a damp house with 4 other students in Oxford, so i'm not even unhappy with my situation...enjoy your subsidised places or your outrageously extortionate town-centre one-roomers, and just be grateful that, for the STOOPID amount of money we get paid, you can afford it!!!

d...

solacegirl
June 8th, 2004, 19:24
I'm in Mie town in OiOiOita and my 50,000 yen rent is covered partially by the BOE, leaving me only having to shell out 29000 Yen a month....am I GLAD to be getting out of the rip-off London rent! Shizzle!

luke
June 8th, 2004, 21:27
Free rent :) which compared to the hundred or so (a week) you pay in london is sweet.

Lia
June 9th, 2004, 22:58
i'm gona be paying 2060 yen a month!!
i pay more than that a day living here in London so I am a very happy chappy! :) :D :)

Chiara
June 9th, 2004, 23:22
Apparently I have a pretty nice appartment, and it should be 6man per month, but I get a 10man subsidy every few months which makes it about 3.5man per month. That's £100 per month less than I pay at the moment for one room in my flat in edinburgh. admittedly my room at the moment will probably be bigger than my whole appartment in Japan, but still...

JenrYOKO
June 10th, 2004, 17:14
Wow... I was the one who answered before >60,000! I pay 80,000/month, but I live in the center of Yokohama! (Can see the Landmark Tower from my apartment - Chinatown is less than 20 minutes away!)

dobharrison
June 10th, 2004, 17:43
Wow... I was the one who answered before >60,000! I pay 80,000/month, but I live in the center of Yokohama! (Can see the Landmark Tower from my apartment - Chinatown is less than 20 minutes away!)

That seems a pretty good price for that kind of location! Last year, I was paying 80,000 to live in Yamato 'Yakuza' City.

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 18:49
Dob! - surely that was worth it just for token gangsta's paradise value

dobharrison
June 10th, 2004, 18:52
It was, Chimp. And the Filipino hookers just gave the place a certain charm, you know?

edinburger
June 10th, 2004, 20:43
hmmm - my rent is not subsidised and is 38,000 per month. I also have 150,000 key money to pay, which I think is rather steep and I'm not sure how much of that I shall ever see again. Also, apparently my appartment is one big room with the sleeping/living area separated from the kitchen area. But hey - I get given a bike and a microwave :D

wasabi_lover
June 11th, 2004, 10:22
For all of you folks who are doing all of this comparing jobs and contracts thing you are forgetting the most cardinal rule of this game. YOU ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS in the programs eyes. Yes we all work for the same general body but every JET position is very different than the next one. So before you get into the i get paid more than you and i have more nenkyu than you thing, know that some people will live in wonderful two story houses in big cities with no rent and forty days of paid holiday a year and others will live in rice paddies for 80,000 a month with two days of paid leave, and everything in between baby!!!!!!!!

Kanadajin
June 11th, 2004, 10:31
As you will be SO SICK OF HEARING.....

ESID Every situation is different....

yes I've been here 3 years and sometimes it still irks me about how the ALT in the same town has a "better" deal than I do, but

Shou ga nai....(nothing can be done)

However, in my first year, 3 out of the 4 city alt's for junior high schools were paying about 40 000 50 000 yen for smallish apartments in a town of 50 000 people (no macdonalds kinda town). The last alt from our BOE lived in a teacher's apartment and paid 5000 yen a month....so we requested our BOE to provide us with a subsidy, and it came into effect for the last 3 months of our contract....took a long time but it did work brough t down the rent 15000 yen or so...

So if your rent is really disproportionate to what u think it should be (sorry can't spell and have to run to class...) you can talk to your supervisor when you get here!

good luck everyone!

tvanhorne
June 11th, 2004, 16:06
Argh! I'm paying 4man 2sen! Last time I lived in Japan my apartment was FREE and my friend paid 7sen. :cry:

Oh well, I guess I'm getting many incentives ... like the original soy sauce. All the rest of you are just followers.

tvanhorne
June 11th, 2004, 16:19
OK and I guess I have to add this (not meaning to troll but just add a reality check):

The first time I came back from Japan I lived hand-to-mouth in Seattle for a year, then got a job at Microsoft. Now I'm going back to Japan and am taking a massive pay cut from my MS job.

I have saved the same amount per year that I did while in Japan last time.
Now I'm paying US750 in rent. While in Japan last I worked evenings and paid nothing in rent.

Just some perspective. Japan's a cool and fun place. But don't forget what you can do when you go home.

mistress_pooky
June 12th, 2004, 02:46
I found out from my BOE that the rent will be around 43,000; however, my pred said that it's a little house. Hey, still cheaper than where I was planning on living prior to JET!

campa86
June 12th, 2004, 06:06
I learned that Im not paying rent :D Its a house with a free phone line :D Ok now everyone can start hating me now

cottamg
June 12th, 2004, 12:09
I learned that Im not paying rent :D Its a house with a free phone line :D Ok now everyone can start hating me now

ok.. free rent.. not to bad

free phone line.. ok...

but a HOUSE?.. damn..all I can say is.. you better through excellent parties for when we all come to visit. :)

justhis1nce
June 12th, 2004, 12:59
I'm going to be paying between 30,000 - 35,000 / month for a 1 or 2DK, which seems cheap to me, especially since it's in Kobe. I think my rent-sense is skewed, though, because I grew up in a retardedly expensive area where renting a room usually costs at least $500. Ah, the joys of living in Berkeley...

Dulcinea
June 12th, 2004, 14:12
I just got a letter saying mine would be around 178,000 per month!?!

WTF!!!

That can't be right! I just emailed my BOE to check. Isn't this way much?!?!

Xeno
June 12th, 2004, 22:50
Dulcinea, does it mean you are going to rent a single house? Sounds like so... 8O Maybe you have to find a few people to share...otherwise you won't be able to lead a decent life in Japan...sorry to hear that...I hope that's just a mistake. :(

JenrYOKO
June 12th, 2004, 23:09
Dulcinea - I'm sure that's a mistake. Perhaps that's your startup cost? Or perhaps they put the , in the wrong place and it's 17,800. For 178,000 you could stay in a hotel and have your meals cooked and room cleaned every day.

Dulcinea
June 13th, 2004, 13:38
My contract said that they would pay all key money and I'd live in an apartment. I HOPE it is just an extra zero. I hadn't thought of that possibility. My pred also said that they would give me a car with gas to use (Toyota Vitz), though it wasn't mentioned in the contract. I emailed them, but they haven't gotten back to me. :o

Edited to add: My pred only pays about 150 for rent, but I'm getting moved to a new apartment.

Shinikenshi
June 13th, 2004, 14:55
I'm going to be paying between 30,000 - 35,000 / month for a 1 or 2DK, which seems cheap to me, especially since it's in Kobe. I think my rent-sense is skewed, though, because I grew up in a retardedly expensive area where renting a room usually costs at least $500. Ah, the joys of living in Berkeley...

$500 for a single room at Berzerkeley? That sounds rather cheap since I've known people paying more than that for at least a shared room.

I think California is just too expensive in general, unless you're in Riverside or somewhere out in San Bernandino county.

I miss cheap 10000 yen a month rent up at the Kokusai Kaikan (Int'l Dorms) up in Aoba-ku in Sendai. Good times. :D

Chris

Elmo_Chic
June 13th, 2004, 15:31
My rent will be 40000yen per month in a 3DK sharing with others. I will be staying in Nagoya. No idea how this rent compares to others but i feel it is a good deal. I believe it is more then i am paying here in Aus but that is to be expected.

Dynamis
June 14th, 2004, 22:45
I'll be living in a "Teacher's Apartment". Its exactly what it says on the tin, and at 10,000Y per month, im certainly not complaining. They say that the apartment is big enough for a family, with 2 - 3 rooms besides kitchen and bathroom, etc. So looking pretty nice. There might also be other JETs in the same block which will be handy.

r_a_y
June 15th, 2004, 01:06
I'll be living in a teachers dormitory. My own bedroom and kitchen, but shared bathroom and laundry facilities with the other teachers who live there (and yeah, i'll be the only JET there. man i hope at least someone there speaks english).

Rent is free (and i heard internet is free too), but i have to pay for electricity and gas.

So it's good and bad. At least it's not all bad, so i'll take what i can get.

adammoogle
June 15th, 2004, 02:36
wow 8O people wern't kidding when they said esid were they!?!?!

I'll be paying 30,000 yen rent a month (which is subsidized, the boe pays the other 30,000). its an apartment in the town centre with phone line, washer, shower, western bed, kitchen dining room area, mat room (whatever the hell that is!) and thats about it. oh air con, kerosene heater, and balcony. i'm opposite the high school (which i won't be teaching at rendomly enough) and overlook the basball ground. oh and theres a view of the lovely mt daisen apparently. i would have liked a house though, and a free car... :P

JenrYOKO
June 15th, 2004, 14:41
A "mat room" means it is a room with a tatami (woven) floor. Make sure you ask someone how to take care of the tatami properly!

IowaJET
June 15th, 2004, 23:22
Useful tatami cleaning tips:
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/cleaning.html

adammoogle
June 16th, 2004, 01:21
i don't want a mat anymore, i don't like ticks!!!! :cry:

mchriste
June 16th, 2004, 04:24
The contract from the BOE says I'll be paying 50,000 a month but I predesecessor told me it was subsidized for a total of 20,000 a month, don't know if they changed it or noth this year. The only thing I need to get is phone line a futon, my predesecessor plus the BOE are providing everything else without charge.

Dion
June 17th, 2004, 08:59
I should be paying between 250-300, my prefecture is taking up the tab on half my rent, or I could live in an apartment for teachers for 76 a month.

kiwi_mudpuppy
June 17th, 2004, 11:28
50,000 yen per month, but it is subsidised so I only pay bouty half of this......... That's fantastic. I get a futon, air con, t.v, and washing machine provided as well. No way a person could be disapointed with that.

Cheers all

llumynia
June 17th, 2004, 12:06
as for things provided, i'm trying to figure out the best way to tell my BOE that a twin bed just won't fit my husband and i. i mean, they furnish a lot of the stuff there and subsidize the rent... I feel like i'll come off obnoxious... hi, thanks for the bed but i need you to get me a bigger one...

but still, $260 a month is like a dream

mistress_pooky
June 17th, 2004, 14:12
just found out from my pred that about $200 of her rent was paid for, so I'm hoping they do the same for me!

BTW, thanks for the tatami cleaning tips. I was wondering about that since most of my house's floors are tatami.

cottamg
June 17th, 2004, 23:54
55,000 each month, which includes TV, phone, and internet connection and it comes with things like a TV, Washer, table, phone, etc. It is also about 3 minutes from school :)

It also has A/C and a kotatsu (a small heated table). My predecessor is selling me a fair bit of her stuff:

..............etc

All for £250 :)

Holy cow!!! you scored!!!!!! nice one!

adammoogle
June 18th, 2004, 03:20
tbh your pred's gotta be tighter than a camels arse in a sand storm if there not gunna give u stuff like cutlery and futons and what not, i mean their not gunna take em home, infact, i wouldn't be surpised if the boe didn't provide them in the first place...their charging you for a trash can ffs! stop fleesing us poor newbies you bunch of scrooges! :P

JenrYOKO
June 18th, 2004, 18:54
Not all BOEs provide ANYTHING for their JETs. Kanagawa JETs get NOTHING from their schools/BOE, and I know random other JETs around Japan are totally on their own too. I plan to charge my successor (cheaply, but still charge) for the stuff in the apartment because I either bought it from my predecessor or bought it myself, new. I'm sure some JETs are being jerks when they charge a price, and it's fair to ask questions about quality and to negotiate, but don't assume they are selling you something they got for free!

cottamg
June 18th, 2004, 19:53
yay!! my pred just contacted me.. did I mention I'm getting a house! :) oooooooh yeah.. and it's fully equiped.. spa .. sauna.. weights room... :)
well.. it has furniture,etc anyway.. :)

CherryCat
June 19th, 2004, 06:45
Although my estimated 60,000 a month rent is not bad for a place in the city (not sure if its subsidised), I'm probably going to have to pay around 250,000 Yen in key money. £1250. I hadn't budgeted for that. Fvck.

thedudeabides
June 19th, 2004, 08:50
i'm feeling a bit shafted because i was informed initially that i would be getting a sweet 3-bedroom apt. for $233 (CAD), no key money, and then a few days later informed that this deal was no longer available and that the prefecture (i will be in hondo city) is no longer subsidising the 40% i was initially told. now apparently i have the option to have my predecessor's place for 45000 yen, 135000 key money (fuck!) or to live in staff housing for 10600. obviously i would love to pay that little in rent, but i'm terrified of the idea of being in such close proximity to co-workers (unless, of course, they were lovely JETs.) are any of you going to be living in staff housing? what have you heard about it? are you afraid as i am? (my husband is coming along too- who knows, i suppose staff housing might be a good deal...)???

dobharrison
June 19th, 2004, 09:07
I may be offered the choice of staff housing (depending on where exactly I get placed) but, to be honest, the possible lack of privacy bothers me too. So I will probably pay the extra and get a private apartment, even though it would mean 6 months rent key money/deposit in advance.

I'm thinking there are going to be times when I will NEED to get away from my co-workers for a bit and be on my own!

But I'm quite a private person, so each to their own.

Dulcinea
June 19th, 2004, 11:18
Finally! My situation is resolved! The 178,000 I was going to be paying in rent was a typo. (YEAH!) I only have to pay 17,800 in rent (U$S 161) and no key money. I still get the the free car (http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Vitz/)with $60 FREE GAS!

Yeah! I alreay love my BOE.

Faustus
June 20th, 2004, 00:22
I'm thinking there are going to be times when I will NEED to get away from my co-workers for a bit and be on my own!

Yeah, storing/disposing of those dismembered bodies can be a real bitch when your coworkers are living all around. :twisted:

After all, you know what they always say when a mass murderer shows up- "Well, he always was the 'quiet type'- kept to himself, you know?" Heh.

Kool_Shoes
June 21st, 2004, 07:37
well. i going to be paying 55,000 yen a month and no key money.. I am in the city so i dont have a problem with that. but my predecessor will not be moving out till the end of Aug so I still don't know where ill be staying for the month of July. Good thing is that she said her apt is the biggest one in the complex.

Nikbot
June 21st, 2004, 15:21
The email I just received from the Osaka-shi JET liaisons said that we'll be paying 60-85k/month 8O What else would one expect from the 2nd most expensive city in the world? It's 2-3 times what I was paying at my old place in Australia, though. The BOE pays key money (woo!) and furnishes our apartments with the following:

a refrigerator,
a kitchen table with 2 chairs,
a wardrobe,
a washing machine,
a heater/air conditioner,
a colour TV/VCR combo.

We pay 6000 yen a year for maintenance of these things, which is a decent deal, I guess.

Dave
June 21st, 2004, 19:18
woah that's a lot of notes though... Suddenly I feel very lucky!

RSG
June 21st, 2004, 20:38
Just recevied a letter from my BOE. I will be living rent-free (woo hoo!) and they are also providing a TV, fridge, washing machine, air conditionor and a car! I am still in shock! Oh and they will provide me with 40 litres of petrol a month - crazy huh?!

(pls don't hate me!)

Nikbot
June 22nd, 2004, 15:26
Inaka, RSG?

If not, I hate you. I wish cancer on you ... cancer of the head!

Dave
June 22nd, 2004, 22:30
Just recevied a letter from my BOE. I will be living rent-free (woo hoo!) and they are also providing a TV, fridge, washing machine, air conditionor and a car! I am still in shock! Oh and they will provide me with 40 litres of petrol a month

Ah you see, you've obviously not read your contract very carefully.
What it actually says is...
"you will be living tent-free amongst TVs (transvestities) under a bridge (NOT fridge), washing machines and other dirty things, with free hair conditioner and a bar (of soap). The Petrol is to douse yourself with should it all get too much. :D

Hope this sets you right... :wink:

GWave120
June 26th, 2004, 14:46
I'll be paying 3.9 man/month for an apartment in Nagamaha-shi, Shiga. BOE picks up 4 man/month for me, along with key money and the deposit. Definitely not complaining.

yabighoor
June 26th, 2004, 22:32
My rent is 12,000 yen a month!! How cool is that. Granted it's teachers housing but apparently it's really nice. It can't be any worse than my student pad in Edinburgh

stinky_hippie
July 1st, 2004, 06:16
30,000 yen, in Kobe. And, if I'm lucky, a view of the ocean with great sunsets! yeah buddy!

Petesmp
July 1st, 2004, 08:46
If your rent seems too high or low I would double check with your BOE. They made a type on mine and forgot a zero here and had too many zeros there. It made a big difference.

Dave
July 19th, 2004, 23:08
ah bless my pred. - she's going to leave me 'kitchen stuff'. :D I also don't have to pay any key money as the flat is rented by the BOE so that's another bonus I found out yesterday :D

Shotokai
July 21st, 2004, 00:04
ah bring on the teachers housing, £80/month rent, no key money and fully furnished!

I'm paying £500 for pred's stuff and the flat has, a kitchen, dining room/sitting room, bedroom with double bed (no futon for me), bathroom and seperate toilet AND a study! add to this two small balconies and 4 other jets living in the same block, suddenly the programme doesn't seem to scary!

see you all soon
Shoto

nicklad
July 21st, 2004, 03:13
I was really worried about massive key money and rent but thankfully I pay no key money and just 16,000 rent a month!!!
The apartment is supposed to be fairly small though quite new.
I am going to pay my predecessor £500 for all the stuff in the apartment TV, stereo, stove, microwave, fridge etc) though I am going to pay in installments and only once I am over there.

Nikbot
July 21st, 2004, 08:59
I'm paying about 6 man/month, but I get a 3 man subsidy, so I'm only really paying 3 man. No key money.

robg
July 22nd, 2004, 14:45
i have been most shafted. i'm living in lil nara-ken paying anywhere from 50,000-60,000 yen unsubsidised with key money being anywhere from 2500-3500, after paying $400 for some furnature and appliances from the pred. it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if i have to bargin or something. for an attempt at saving money, this is costing me a bundle...

Beq
August 11th, 2004, 09:39
My 2DK in Saganoichi, 20mins train ride out of Oita city is going to cost me 46,000 a moth, and the key money is like 210,000? Which bites. $500 a month for a place smaller than my living room in Australia, but what you gonna do? I have to wait until after payday (9 days and counting) to be able to afford it and move in, and the I still have to find things like a fridge, bed, hot plate, light fixtures - and pay for food and transport until the end of September too. Shyte.

meowcarrot
August 12th, 2004, 03:13
My 2DK in Kisarazu-city (Chiba) is going to be 42000 yen plus 2000 yen general service fee. Key + commission + first month is 214100 yen. I'm 8 minutes walk from the station, and my kitties are accepted.

kitties -> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~sbouton/cat3.JPG

indigovapour
August 12th, 2004, 03:36
2LDK, one Japanese living room, one Western: both 6 mats in size.
10 Minutes from Station in Takaoka-Shi, small city (175,000 people).
Building is 13 years old. I'm on the second floor.

58,000 Y - 25,000 Y subsidy = 33,000 Y per month. (£165, approx $300).

Key money = 1 month's rent.
Estate Agent's finders fee = 1 month's rent (they had to find a new flat for me, no JET has lived here before).
And another month's rent for the deposit, hopefully I'll get all that back though.

Shinikenshi
August 12th, 2004, 15:36
I don't really know much details about the place I'll be staying at, but its supposed to be 20 minutes away from the main metropolitan area of Okayama city and its HEAVILY subsidized! I think I pay about 12000 yen for it. Which sounds really good and all. But maybe all I get is a small box of a room or something! :lol:

Oh, and no key money for me either. Which helps since I'm bringing much less than the recommended 200,000 yen.

Chris

fenyx66
August 18th, 2004, 13:16
I just heard from my predecessor that I am going to get a 3 tatami room house with a kitchen, bathroom and dining room for 10,000 yen a month. Thats awesome, My pred is also selling me all the stuff I need for a very reasonable price. Party at my place!!!

Dave
August 24th, 2004, 10:31
great.....so when`s the party? 8)

Holocaust
April 11th, 2005, 22:46
Too fucking much. But I have a swanky apartment / pussy puller pad. No tatamis nor none of that shit. Clean and high up (7th floor). No cockroaches crawling across the floor in the summer and I play my sounds as loud as I want. 3 years I have yet to meet my neighbour(s) though. Yeah, I like my pad.