PDA

View Full Version : things to do before you go

adammoogle
June 5th, 2004, 08:05
less than 2 months and we'll all be on the other side of the world, 8O yikes!

but theres still so much to do at home before we leave!!!

i mean, theres wimbledon to go to, many trips to the pub for euro 2004, the dentist to see, my car to sell...

and then theres people to see before you go, leaving parties, home cooking to take advantage of...

just wondering what fun/crazy/stupid things you've all got to do before you bid a tearful farewell to friends and family (and you all know your gunna blub...i'm taking an extra absorbant pack of kleenex to the airport :cry:)

Jay
June 5th, 2004, 08:25
I need to transfer ownership of my vehicle, sell off some old things for money, say goodbye to family and that is about it. Other then that I'm ready! I wish it was July

Chiara
June 5th, 2004, 09:42
Finish up at work, trip to see all my London friends and a uni reunion in July, buy lots of underwear, do all the things in Edinburgh that i've been saying that i was going to do since i moved here 2 years ago (climb arthur's seat, go to the zoo, drink in the Port O' Leith without getting my ass kicked)...

Jay
June 5th, 2004, 22:10
:lol: Oh yeah, I need to work on my Japanese as well. What is your level of Japanese Paul?

yabighoor
June 5th, 2004, 23:27
Go to the dentist!!!

And save money, I think that I'll have about 200 quid going over if i carry on at this rate. Visa living here I come!!!

monkeyfeet
June 6th, 2004, 00:52
hmm, let's see....

- eat as much mexican food as i possibly can. i'll definitely miss it when i can't.
- drive my truck as much as i can before i hafta *sniff* sell her.
- play as much hockey as i can before i hafta leave all my gear in the u.s. (this is hard in tucson.)
- enjoy the dry heat (lack of humidity is a wonderful thing, really.)
- take lotsa pictures
- go see the new harry potter movie in 2 hrs!!!! woohooo!!! :D

and of course, the obligatory moving, packing, dentisting, and attempting to learn japanese.

campa86
June 6th, 2004, 07:00
Things I plan to do before I leave:

First off say Good Bye to my old Girlfriend.

Give away my pet hamster Tony. Coolest Rodent in the world

Sadly trust my Nephew with my car he just turned 16, I wont see my car again.

Drink as much Guinness as possable. Vitamin G is the only way to go.

Watch My Great Lakers win it all. Shaq Rules.

Go Downtown (L.A.) and eat as much Menudo as possable. ( IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS, JUST ASK)

TAKE IT EASY

-CAMPA

Beq
June 6th, 2004, 09:57
Oh look, you can change your font colour. Cool.

I want to know what Menudo is. What tha?

I need to pay a few things off before I go, Board of Teacher reg for three years, child securitycard, my credit card debt (better go to Japan with an empty debt so I can run up a huge one there!) and defer my ed qld registration.

Buy enough shoes to last me until I can get to country that actually have women with feet over 25cms, unlike Japan. (bah! size 7! midgets)

Save, save, save. And then save some more. And while I'm at it, save. :lol:

gan8sha
June 6th, 2004, 11:19
Save Money.
Eat lots of gyros, mexican, german and other food that will be hard to find in Japan.
Take lots of pics.
Have a big party for myself.
Pay my parking tickets (maybe).
Spend a lot of time drinking with my friends.
Buy some new shoes.
Work on my horrible Japanese.
Pack.
Get ready to go.....I'm leavin' on a jet plane...

http://www.24framefilms.com/images/jet1-425.jpg

Lisa
June 6th, 2004, 13:33
Things 2 do...
1/ Visit all my friends that I have been meaning to visit for ages but have been to busy/slack to do.

2/ See family; My sister is coming over to see me off, (she's in aussie) but the dates got mixed up and she arrives the day I leave...I leave from a different city so I won't see her at all!!(it's too late and expensive for her to change flights) :(

3/ Save more $$, buy more things to take with me and hope that I have everything I need.

4/ I've just gotten my wisdom teeth out :cry: so once the swelling goes down, be thankful that thats over and will never have to be done again.

5/Ask lots of questions at my JET seminar (18th June)and hopefully everything will be sorted.

campa86
June 7th, 2004, 03:50
Menudo:

Spanish for " TOSS IT IN THE POT" old joke meaning that its a soup that has a lot of stuff in it.

Pretty much its the left overs of a cow like tripe and the cows foot.

To some it might sound strange but this is the greatest food ever and its one of the best cures fro a hangover.

dobharrison
June 7th, 2004, 18:45
Is anybody else thinking of organising a big party with their friends? Would this be a bit too much? Would it be too much to expect money from each of them!?!

Beq
June 7th, 2004, 19:24
I'm having a big party with my friends in Brisbane before I go. Can anyone say "going-away presents!?"

Yes!

dobharrison
June 7th, 2004, 19:25
Can anyone say "going-away presents!?"

I wouldn't be much of an English teacher otherwise.

Sorry, annoying British sarcasm. :D

Samiantha
July 1st, 2004, 23:11
1) buy lots of underwear and shoes
2) figure out how i can fit said shoes into 20kg limit
3) give up on shoes, concentrate on Japanese
4) have small panic attack
5) give up on Japanese, reconsider shoes
6) sod it all- go down the pub!

and 7) realise that thanks to dobharrison there will still be sarcastic ppl like me in the world! :lol:

mchriste
July 2nd, 2004, 00:19
one thing you may want to remember to bring, at least for those you don't use the metric system, is a thermometer. If your sick and you haven't given much thought to the farienheight equivilent of celisius, your not going to want to do that when your temps 39 and your like "is that high?"

My mom, luckily, remembered so I have one going with me.

Oh in japan when the doc takes your temperature its the underarm not the mouth method

starnia
July 18th, 2004, 11:53
Currently I am on the ast leg of my 7,500 mile road trip accross America and back...a goal of mine before I left!

Also, I am eating as much Mexican food as possible, seeing family, selling my car (after putting all those miles on :) shopping for clothes my size, and double checking my packing list and buying my favorite American products and shipping them to myself.

Xeno
July 19th, 2004, 21:51
Currently I am on the ast leg of my 7,500 mile road trip accross America and back...a goal of mine before I left!

Also, I am eating as much Mexican food as possible, seeing family, selling my car (after putting all those miles on :) shopping for clothes my size, and double checking my packing list and buying my favorite American products and shipping them to myself.

I guess you can eat Mexican food at the restaurants in Japan. They just seem to be richer food there somehow. :roll:

phill
July 19th, 2004, 22:39
just relax, the application process, getting ready, the waiting for stuff in the mail, web surfing for info on my city. sitting up at night hoping that everything works out...these last few days i am just going to relax and enjoy my self...Its been a crazy ride since dec...and it hasn't even started...congrats everyone!

richardp
July 19th, 2004, 22:59
just relax, the application process, getting ready, the waiting for stuff in the mail, web surfing for info on my city. sitting up at night hoping that everything works out...these last few days i am just going to relax and enjoy my self...Its been a crazy ride since dec...and it hasn't even started...congrats everyone!

Couldn't have said it better :) I'm trying to relax before the week before I go where things are bound to get hectic.

r_a_y
July 19th, 2004, 23:03
i've pretty well finished my preparations, which i realize now was a big mistake. i am completely unable to relax and have been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off for the last two days. and so now i have 12 days to work myself into a fever pitch before i hit tokyo and explode!

or maybe i just need to find some way to calm down.

calm..... calm......

Elmo_Chic
July 21st, 2004, 09:43
I have reached one goal that i wanted to before leaving.

I got my licence yesterday - first attempt! This is pretty excting stuff for me as i have had my learners for a number of years. Leaving it a bit late to do - one month before i leave but who cares! I can drive now! YAY me.
I don't think i will be driving in Japan, no need to living in Nagoya but i will see if i can get my international drivers licence anyway. Not sure if i can?

JayDubya
July 21st, 2004, 20:43
Congratulations!

Im not sure about Oz, but i think in UK you have to have had your license for 3 months or something til you can get an international driving permit.

Elmo_Chic
July 22nd, 2004, 11:57
Thanks
I am not sure either. I don't mind either way if i can get my international licence or not! Just happy to have gotten this one. :D

Nikbot
July 22nd, 2004, 13:28
I got my international permit today at the RACQ office in Spring Hill. It cost $25.50. I don't know how long you have to have your licence before you can get the permit, but if you're going to get one, bring a passport photo. I would have had to pay for the photo if I wasn't a member.

I don't plan on getting a car in Nippon, but I may want to rent one for a road trip or something.

phill
July 22nd, 2004, 17:16
i went to get my international drivers license, it was easy and all trhey do is look at u abd then ure license. it really campy looking but its legit. on a side note the girl that helped me out had a sister who went to Japan to teach english and has been there for 10 years working in variousjobs. Amazing, 10 years...
see everyone in tokyo!!!