PDA

View Full Version : ehime high schools

June 6th, 2004, 09:11
nobody else got the email from the ehime BOE about placement in a prefectural high school??

i don't know whether this is good or bad--i've heard some high schools are agricultural boonies, but most are at least in quasi-town if not urban environments.

anybody have info on high schools in ehime prefecture? are any of them academic? does that mean they'll be better behaved?

achikochi
June 7th, 2004, 09:00
hiya, newquagmire!

You might find the Ehime Prefecture BOE a little 'slow' to send you info on where you will end up in Ehime - but there are a couple of Pref ALTs living in Matsuyama, a few down south near Uwajima, a few up North near Imabari, and a some close to Matsuyama, like Hojo - which is 30 mins away. So for the most part, they're in the 'bigger' towns of Ehime. Mostly you'll be based in one high school, and then occassionally visit an agricultural 'boonie'. I think there's about 2 or 3 Pref ALTs who are kinda like one-shot ALTs as they visit about 5 high schools...
Being an ALT at the high schools is quite a good experience... bring lots of stuff for your self intro (maps, pictures of home, country, family - anything 'unusual and interesting' as the kids have heard self intros from every ALT since Jnr High), and equip yourself with a dictionary, thesaurus, and a practical grammar reference book, such as 'English Grammar in Use' (by Murphy), which incidently, you can buy in Kinakuniya bookstore in Matsuyama if you don't want to weigh down your luggage!
Enjoy your last few weeks at home, see you in EHIME!!!

June 7th, 2004, 19:06
hiya, newquagmire!

You might find the Ehime Prefecture BOE a little 'slow' to send you info on where you will end up in Ehime - but there are a couple of Pref ALTs living in Matsuyama, a few down south near Uwajima, a few up North near Imabari, and a some close to Matsuyama, like Hojo - which is 30 mins away. So for the most part, they're in the 'bigger' towns of Ehime. Mostly you'll be based in one high school, and then occassionally visit an agricultural 'boonie'. I think there's about 2 or 3 Pref ALTs who are kinda like one-shot ALTs as they visit about 5 high schools...
Being an ALT at the high schools is quite a good experience... bring lots of stuff for your self intro (maps, pictures of home, country, family - anything 'unusual and interesting' as the kids have heard self intros from every ALT since Jnr High), and equip yourself with a dictionary, thesaurus, and a practical grammar reference book, such as 'English Grammar in Use' (by Murphy), which incidently, you can buy in Kinakuniya bookstore in Matsuyama if you don't want to weigh down your luggage!
Enjoy your last few weeks at home, see you in EHIME!!!

thanks for the tips, achikochi. yes, the email mentioned something about two more unconfirmed ALTs coming in?? are these towns the small type where everybody will know who the gaijin is? i guess i'm just a little worried about the lifestyle...

achikochi
June 8th, 2004, 08:58
Hey there!
Generally speaking, the towns the Pref ALTs are sent to are quite big, and very used to foreigners. Having said that, Ehime is one of the more conservative prefectures in Japan, still quite inaka-minded (country), and thus, no matter where you go, you will probably feel people staring at you... believe me, you get used to it, and in the end, don't even notice. I live in inaka (small village) and the kids are used to gaijin here. I tend to escape on weekends, but even when I am at home, no one bothers me, most of my neighbors are grannies who are half blind anyway!! Keep us posted on where you end up! Relax, enjoy your 2 months back home, hope to see you here at orientation!

June 10th, 2004, 03:05
Hey there!
Generally speaking, the towns the Pref ALTs are sent to are quite big, and very used to foreigners. Having said that, Ehime is one of the more conservative prefectures in Japan, still quite inaka-minded (country), and thus, no matter where you go, you will probably feel people staring at you... believe me, you get used to it, and in the end, don't even notice. I live in inaka (small village) and the kids are used to gaijin here. I tend to escape on weekends, but even when I am at home, no one bothers me, most of my neighbors are grannies who are half blind anyway!! Keep us posted on where you end up! Relax, enjoy your 2 months back home, hope to see you here at orientation!

achi,

i have a feeling i won't be getting quite as many stares since i don't look like the typical gaijin.

but, where do you escape to? a friend told me there's a couple bridges leading to nagasaki/osaka from ehime-ken, but where else can i go? i'm interested in seeing seoul, shanghai, taipei, and other places before i leave--how hard is it to make flight plans?

NQ

achikochi
June 10th, 2004, 09:42
Hiya, NQ...

Escaping... hmm... well, I'm a bit of a beach bum, so I like to head to Kochi, but, Matsuyama airport now has direct flights to China and Korea, although the numbers of flights are limited... better than having to fly via Kansai in Osaka though. You can book flights easily - HIS travel have a branch in Matsuyama near teh city station (Shi-eki), also NO1 Travel online has always been great for good, cheap deals and if you ring them direct they have English speaking staff...
There are ferries to Hiroshima, Osaka, Kobe, Kyuushuu etc... The bridge connects to Kobe, Okayama etc. There are overnight buses (a nightmare, much better on the ferry) to various cities on Honshuu... if you get the 21day hayawari ticket for domestic flights, sometimes you can score Tokyo return for 20 000 yen... There are also special S kippu tickets for trains that are heavily discounted... it's just a matter of planning your escape really. I think someone will cover travel during matsuyama orientation, but there's always the Ehime JET email group support you can post on...
ok, enough rambling from me...
hope this info helps a little...

June 11th, 2004, 08:15
ooo, beach. how far is kochi? i guess this is a stupid question since it will depend on where in ehime-ken one is placed. are the hayawari tickets akin to a restricted advanced purchase type? i noticed you're an Oz. i'm also interested in hitting up sydney... :D

it's just hard for me to think of specific questions since i have no idea where i'm going. i take it you know the eight HS ALTs that are leaving? were they happy with their time there? is there a lot of sitting around like other ALTs complain about? how much nenkyu? living arrangements adequate?

it's all so nebulous to me.

July 5th, 2004, 07:15
any news yet from the BOE???