PDA

View Full Version : Holiday allowances

Soma
June 6th, 2004, 12:29
Well people will be starting to get their contracts around about now I assume, so on top of Japanese national holidays, and the New Year period (29th Dec to 3 Jan), what allowance for paid holidays have been stipulated in everyones contract?

I have 20 days, which is about what I would get working in NZ, so no complaints there, but I wonder what that is like compared to others?

IowaJET
June 6th, 2004, 13:22
In the US, I don't get any paid days off until I've worked with the company three years, except three sick days a year. Anything I want off is unpaid. So twenty days seems like riches to me.

yorkie
June 12th, 2004, 01:50
I've got 15...does that sound ok? I soooo want to travel, so I hope I can squeeze places like Korea and Thailand into my hols. Anybody got any less than 15?

morikyd
June 12th, 2004, 02:14
Some people only get 12. And remember, this is on top of all of the national holidays we get off. Definately a sweet deal, at least in my experience.

RSG
June 16th, 2004, 02:06
I haven't received my contract through yet, but I know that Kumamoto JETs only work 20 working days each month, which means we get a further 8-9 days paid holiday a year on top of the usual allowance and national holidays :)

colleenyb
June 16th, 2004, 02:44
Does anyone know how many national holidays there are in Japan?

Sinbad
June 17th, 2004, 17:54
At first I was dissapointed, becasue I found out that I only got 12 days holiday. But on futher investigation it turns out we (Fukui-ken) also get 6 weeks off in the summer where we don't have to be at school :D ....plus an extra 4 "travel" days... plus 5 days off at xmas plus all other school holidays off.....so basically LOADS of TIME OFF woo hoo!

yabighoor
June 17th, 2004, 17:58
I know, I get 20 days hols but surely that dosn't include school holidays like summer holiday etc. :)

Sinbad
June 17th, 2004, 19:28
Apparently alot of JETS DO have to come into school during the holidays, even though there is nothing to do apart from twiddle your thumbs....just one of those stupid Japanese things where you have to been seen to be present, despite your presence having no use what so ever.

It depends on your placement.

Dave
June 17th, 2004, 19:36
yeah apparently I would be well advised to take a good few books as I'll be hanging around the BOE doing nothing for a month.

JenrYOKO
June 17th, 2004, 19:52
I'm a current JET in Kanagawa, and we get 12 paid holidays, plus the national holidays of course. We have to go in during the summer and spring breaks, but we also get kenshu (study leave) which we can take as an excuse to stay home/go to a museum/take Japanese/etc and... study something. During the nearly 6 weeks of summer "non-work workdays," I have only actually gone to work a maximum of 4 days.

professor_chimpenstein
June 17th, 2004, 21:37
Im in for 20 at osaka-shi

Nuff said

JAmes

mango-shake
June 21st, 2004, 10:54
Just wrote a big general post on the other vacation time thread, but as far as what I get personally: I have to come in to the BOE even when school is not in session (sucks) and my contract doesn't have study leave in it (sucks), but instead of only getting 20 days of vacation per contract year, I get 20 days of vacation per calendar year and unused days carry over to the next year. So that means any of my unused 20 vacation days from 2003 (I got here in July 2003), roll over to this year, etc. etc. And that is ALL good!!! Oh, and I also get 5 extra days in summer (they're supposed to be for obon, but I can use them anytime up until the end of September). I think most JETs get those... in my ken anyways.

Nikbot
June 21st, 2004, 12:06
Im in for 20 at osaka-shi

Booyah! I guess that means I am, too. I haven't received a contract yet. 20 days is about at the top of the heap wrt hols, innit?

Xeno
June 21st, 2004, 12:42
I guess there are about 20 national holidays in Japan. :D http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

mango-shake
June 21st, 2004, 14:09
There are 15:

January 1
New Year (shogatsu):
This is the most important national holiday in Japan.

Second monday of January
Coming of Age (seiji no hi):
The coming of age of 20 year old men and women is celebrated.

February 11
National Foundation Day (kenkoku kinenbi):
According to the earliest Japanese history books, on this day in the year 660 BC the first Japanese emperor was crowned.

March 21
Spring Eqinox Day (shunbun no hi):
Graves are visited during the week (ohigan) of the Equinox Day. The day itself is a national holiday.

April 29
Green Day (midori no hi):
Emperor Showa's birthday.

May 3
Constitution Day (kenpo kinenbi):
National holiday remembering the new constitution that was put into effect after the war.

May 4
"Between Day" (kokumin no kyujitsu):
Recently created national holiday to make the Golden Week a continuous holiday.

May 5
Children's Day (kodomo no hi):
Also called boy's festival. Read more on the Golden Week page.

Third monday of July
Ocean Day (umi no hi):
A recently introduced national holiday to celebrate the ocean. The day marks the return of Emperor Meiji from a boat trip to Hokkaido in 1876.

Third monday of September
Respect for the Aged Day (keiro no hi):
Respect for the elderly and longlivity is celebrated on this national holiday.

September 23
Autum Equinox Day (shubun no hi):
Graves are visited during the week (ohigan) of the Equinox Day. The day itself is a national holiday.

Second monday of October
Health and Sports Day (taiiku no hi):
On that day 1964, the Olympic games of Tokyo were opened.

November 3
Culture Day (bunka no hi):
A day for promotion of culture and the love for freedom and peace. On the culture day, schools and the government award certain persons for their special, cultural activities.

November 23
Labour Thanksgiving Day (kinro kansha no hi):
A national holiday for honoring labour.

December 23
Emperor's Birthday (tenno no tanjobi):
The birthday of the current emperor is always a national holiday. If the emperor changes, the national holiday changes to the birthday date of the new emperor.

Faustus
June 21st, 2004, 15:17
I'm another one who's got 12 days of vacation time, but rumor has it that JETs in my town don't have to be at school when it isn't in session. If that's true, then I've got a great gig- it's not actually written into my contract, though, so I'm a bit wary of jumping up and down just yet. Sort of, "I'll believe it when I'm actually in China during spring break" sort of thing.

It'd make it a hell of a lot easier to get home for the Christmas/Chanukah holidays, though, as school gets out around 24 December- I could leave a couple days early and get a good vacation without using up too much time. But we'll see- I feel a bit naff worrying about vacation time already when I'm not even in Japan yet, but planning ahead and all.... :wink:

RSG
June 22nd, 2004, 00:38
I have received my contract, however it does not state how many days holiday I get so have no idea.

I've been placed in Ashikita town, Kumamoto-prefecture - does anyone else have any idea?

Does everyone else have it stated on their contract then?

Dave
June 22nd, 2004, 22:23
not stated on mine RSG...and believe it or not my salary isn't either!!??

weens
July 1st, 2004, 16:42
i have 20 days off per year plus i get study leave and we dont have to be in the office during holidays at all, im in saitama-ken...
i love my ken!