PDA

View Full Version : Taking a computer to Japan

yorkie
June 7th, 2004, 23:56
Does anybody know what bits and pieces I will need to get to go with my laptop when I get to Japan? I'm taking an apple i-book, and just want to check what I will need to make it work over there; what I will need to set up internet on it etc. I am from England, and am going to Yamaguchi Prefecture.

Thanks everyone. :)

Chiara
June 8th, 2004, 00:48
You shouldn't need anything special to get your laptop up and running in Japan. As long as it has a power adaptor that says 100-240V on it you will be fine! All you'll need is a travel plug convertor, which should only cost a few pounds. Not sure how phonelines compare for internet, but if you're planning on getting broadband then I would imagine you'll need to get a modem installed across there anyway?

Dulcinea
June 8th, 2004, 01:54
On the same note, how much software should I bring with me? I was thinking about bringing all my backup discs and manuals with me (I'm pretty clueless without them.). Is it really a waste of space?

I know it's been covered on BD, but when I take my laptop on as a carry-on, should I let them X-ray it as I go through security? How about my digital camera?

With all the stuff going in my carry-on (clothes for the conference, laptop, omiyage, empty backpack, books/cd player for the plane ...) I'm wondering how it's all going to fit.

mchriste
June 8th, 2004, 03:11
I would put omiyage in my suitcase, why would you need it it tokyo you can easily give it out on your first day of "work"