PDA

View Full Version : Hokkaido peculiarities

Paper
May 9th, 2004, 12:03
From http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/kenminsei.htm:

Hokkaido – The women in Hokkaido are said to be the most liberated in Japan. They have the unusual habit of proposing marriage to their men and are also number one in Japan when it comes to initiating divorces. No one knows whether it’s the men or the women that are to blame, but Hokkaido also has the highest divorce rate in the country. The prefecture is also known for its love of new things. You see the words ‘shinhatsubai’ (new product) on a lot of packages in Japan, but nowhere so often as in Japan’s northernmost prefecture and Hokkaido is one of the most important test markets in the nation. Hokkaidoites are also known for their ‘Kansai allergy’ and are said to dislike people from Osaka, Kobe, and Kyoto.

I haven't heard of the ‘Kansai allergy’, but the rest of it is generally dead on.

cottamg
May 10th, 2004, 01:45
I'd love to visit Hokkaido.. but I'll be coming from Kansai area.. :)

anyway, some interesting reading stuff about Hokkaido, Japan, etc on this website.

http://www.debito.org/index.html

mistress_pooky
May 10th, 2004, 08:21
Like okinawa, Hokkaido is different from the rest of Japan. I never saw a dislike for kansai, though. The area was influenced from Russia, so it's not uncommon to see russian churches. I freaked when I saw a onion dome (forgot the right name for them) on an orthodox church.

Anyway, go visit!

patjs
September 27th, 2008, 17:03
STOP BUMPING THREADS FROM 4 YEARS AGO

kalliea
September 27th, 2008, 19:52
Why? Its funny.

maidenindigo
September 27th, 2008, 20:41
Funny "ha-ha", or funny "it smells like there's a decaying corpse in your basement"?

kalliea
September 27th, 2008, 21:26
Funny as in 'it annoys others but not me' kind of a way. I give it my blessing.

Claire D
September 30th, 2008, 13:54
wow.........fuck you too

13tales
October 1st, 2008, 15:41
I don't mind the 4 year old threads - there was definitely a higher standard of postings back then.