PDA

View Full Version : living quarters

morikyd
June 8th, 2004, 08:41
I just found out that I will probably be living in a two story, two bedroom townhouse with a huge driveway and a graveyard in the backyard.
Sounds like the beginning of an excellently cheesy horror movie. Totally niave girl moves halfway across the world...struggles to speak the language...so vulnerable...so alone....and when the creepy demon ghosts of death arise from their moldy, decrepit, disgusting graves no one will understand her final terrified, shreiks for help.
So, who wants to visit?

Jay
June 8th, 2004, 11:04
I have heard of this house! Living in the middle of a cemetery is said to be good luck. I'll come and visit. :lol:

JenrYOKO
June 8th, 2004, 12:49
You'll have fellow JETs clamoring to have the Halloween Party there :-)

downonrodeo
June 8th, 2004, 13:01
That's the spirit!

llumynia
June 8th, 2004, 13:44
that sounds like a story you can tell to your grandkids someday.

and I was up late one night, looking out at the moonlight as it cas an eerie glow over the graves in my backyard...

morikyd
June 8th, 2004, 17:21
Hehe. I am really pleased.
My house...well, heck, I get a house...yes, anyways, my house has character. Lots of it.

Good luck, huh? I have never heard that before. Is this a Japanese view or are you just trying to make me feel better?

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 18:10
I'm up for a road trip.. :)

Who needs a lift? :)

(I'll be stuck in the country, so I'll probably be getting a car... oh.. and I might have a house as well... so halloween party at morikyd's and then christmas or new year's at mine :)

professor_chimpenstein
June 8th, 2004, 21:20
Im in for the lift!

Was the graveyard there first or the house?if its the house built on an ancient burial ground thats sposed to be good luck? - I suppose folklore clearly states that if you dig up the bodies, burn em and piss on their ashes you will be blessed with good luck until the day you die!

Good luck my arse!

Ive seen Amyterville (wrong spelling) and since when has luck ever been tied in with graves. :x

It always starts out with ahh look! my house has such character, but then comes the screaming and the running and the green people :o :P :roll: murmuring "brains" as they chase you down a dead end before ripping you limb from limb and fighting over your intestines. :evil:

Shit - i think iv scared myself now 8O - scratch that lift!

James

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 21:34
hahah... anyone seen eddie murphy - delirious?

the part where he's talking about Poltergeist? classic. :)

Still Halloween at the cemetery house sounds great.. (although, I honestly don't know what the hell to do for Halloween.. it's not that big a holiday here.. )

now.. New Years.. I know exactly what to do for New Years, so Party @ Gareth's house (?) :) (in Yabu-shi, Hyogo-ken)

G

IowaJET
June 8th, 2004, 21:43
Are graveyards considered as spooky in Japan?

dobharrison
June 8th, 2004, 21:56
As resident Goth, I am very jealous!

Jay
June 8th, 2004, 22:51
Well, I heard from another JET that the Japanese told him living by a graveyard is good luck. Of course he thought that may have been to cheer him up, but I think it really is supposed to be good luck. :)

Xeno
June 8th, 2004, 23:49
Yup, as Jay said, I guess living by a graveyard would be good in Japan. Actually I heard that lots of houses and apartments in big cities are beside graveyards coz there are only few small spaces for them. Also, my J-friend said that spirits around graveyards are more likely to be good genii than evil demons. :wink:

morikyd
June 9th, 2004, 02:42
Hmm. Good stuff Jay and Xeno.

I think having a Halloween party would be great fun. Shiojiri-shi also has the largest Halloween festival in Japan apparently. So, assuming that we wouldnt disturb any neighbors, I'm all about it.

And as for you Prof. Chimp....You are so right! I will probably be dead before we ever get to Halloween. The ghosts won't let you know. They will send you invatations, written out in my blood, but you will all just think I am taking it all a bit far. You will be lured, unsuspecting to the lair of the undead. Mwahahaha.

I'll go to your party Cottamg :D

I wish I had pictures of the place. I swear, any info I get just makes me greedy for more!

Bron
June 9th, 2004, 12:37
Halloween isn't an Aussie custom, so I'll be up for some "cultural exchange" (ie. dressing up and getting plastered), as this is a major part of the JET program right? ; ) so it actually fits under our job description!

Now lets hope someone's not yanking your chain Morikyd, or you'll have a whole lot of disappointed JETS in white linen trick-or-treating you...
bahaha!

morikyd
June 9th, 2004, 14:11
I know Bron! I am suspicious too.

By backyard I meant across the street and to the left behind a brick wall...

Funny...I am not quite sure what to hope for in this case.

abunaidave
June 9th, 2004, 22:41
Cottamg: I'll be needing a lift. ^_^ I'll make it easy for you and meet you at Okinawa.

Morikyd: Nice house. I get a house too apparently, not sure about the graveyard. Do you have to pay extra for that?

Invitation here too for people that want to pop by my little island. If you drop by un-announced prepare to be shown the cold shoulder, although I may be appeased by tokens of (big-city) civilisation, like cheese. I'll no doubt forgive anything if you bring Pie. To find me, look for the white guy.

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 00:54
Cottamg: I'll be needing a lift. ^_^ I'll make it easy for you and meet you at Okinawa.

Morikyd: Nice house. I get a house too apparently, not sure about the graveyard. Do you have to pay extra for that?

Invitation here too for people that want to pop by my little island. If you drop by un-announced prepare to be shown the cold shoulder, although I may be appeased by tokens of (big-city) civilisation, like cheese. I'll no doubt forgive anything if you bring Pie. To find me, look for the white guy.

you mean you're WHITE?? damn! ;)

hmm.. we'll see about the Pie.. :) but I definately be planning on visiting Okinowa! (and me speak english good)

morikyd
June 10th, 2004, 02:59
You're on abunaidave. I will come bearing pie.
Probably a strawberry or peach one.

stinky_hippie
June 10th, 2004, 03:37
Hey Bron-

Halloween is the best holiday there is in the States. The key to Halloween, though, is not just dressing up in costumes and getting wasted. It's all about playing the part. My best Halloweens have been those where everyone is in character; no one really knows what the hell is going on. makes for some good times

Faustus
June 10th, 2004, 06:05
Well, I have found out that not only do I not have to pay rent (it's in my contract, which I just received in the mail today- woo!), but my housing situation is described as follows:

Concerning your accommodation, you will be living in an apartment house with a kitchen bathroom and three rooms. The rent will be paid by the Miki Board of Education. The accommodation is supplied with a washing machine, TV, VCR, gas stove, air conditioner, refrigerator, futon, table and chairs, furniture, vacuum cleaner, etc. You will need to bring towels, hair dryer, etc.

I might not have heard from my pred yet, but it looks like litttle Ms. Faustus is sitting pretty as far as her place goes. Not that I'm gloating (okay, okay, so I'm gloating), but that's pretty darn cool. So far, Miki's coming through on all counts!

I also concur that the US version of Halloween is damn good (although I'm a big Thanksgiving fan- any holiday that requires you to consume large quantities of turkey and mashed potatoes can't be all bad).

Faustus
June 10th, 2004, 07:33
Ah, don't worry- I'm sure your place will be cool. And if it's awful, you know there are four ALTs in Miki who have spare rooms!

dobharrison
June 10th, 2004, 17:36
Okay, my contract arrive yesterday. It still doesn't say where I'm going because that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

However, I now know that the BOE will subsidise half of my rent, which is nice. It also said I may get a choice of 2-3 apartments! Apparently, I may be sharing a house with my pred until I've decided which one I want! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to stay in teachers' housing, which has no deposit or key money. However, the BOE will loan me the money if I need it.

Beq
June 10th, 2004, 19:57
I want Faustus' place. I don't have a place yet. Looks like I'll be living with a family for awhile until they find somewhere for me. What, they have to build it?! A graveyard in your backyard sounds cool, but it would be the end of my love of scary movies - I scare myself far too much WITHOUT the ambience that'd provide!

abunaidave
June 10th, 2004, 20:55
I'll quote you on that Morikyd.

You're on abunaidave. I will come bearing pie.
Probably a strawberry or peach one.

See? I just did. :twisted:

Did I mention I will be living on Yoron, which is a 1h 50m flight or 20 hour ferry ride from Kagoshima City? Or a 30 minute flight/2 hour ferry ride north of Okinawa. It looks nice though :)