PDA

View Full Version : Results from Uni

yabighoor
June 8th, 2004, 18:22
I've just gotten my results from uni and i got a 2.1 wahoo!!!! :D

Chiara
June 8th, 2004, 18:25
ooh congrats! I'll never forget the day I got my results and saw I'd got a 2:1...I almost passed out from shock!

much boozes for you tonight? :)

dobharrison
June 8th, 2004, 18:30
Congratulations! 50 years of toil and misery being now!

Just kidding, I'm so glad I left uni and started actually having money.

Nikbot
June 8th, 2004, 18:46
2.1 would be a terrible, failing grade here. I gather your system is different.

Congrats.

Chiara
June 8th, 2004, 18:57
2.1 would be a terrible, failing grade here. I gather your system is different.

Congrats.

2:1 is the 2nd best classification of degree you can get in the UK. It goes:

1st (>70%)

2:1 (60-69%)
2:2 (50-59%)

3rd (40-49%)

Pass (35-40%)

FAIL! (<35%)

Nikbot
June 8th, 2004, 19:06
Gotcha. I was actually thinking of our grades for individual subjects

1 - total, utter failure in everything, including misspelling your own name on the exam paper

2 - regular fail

3 - conceded pass, but you can't get many of these before they start failing you, plus I don't think all subjects have them

4 - pass

5 - credit

6 - distinction

7 - high distinction

For complete degrees, we basically just have 1st-class honours, IIa honours and IIb honours, but the rules vary between departments

Cornelius
June 8th, 2004, 19:07
There's also a 1.1 (double first). It's rather difficult to get though...

yabighoor
June 8th, 2004, 19:07
Cheers all.

And Chi, thanks for sticking up for the British system!!

Chiara
June 8th, 2004, 19:40

dude! i thought thems was just myth! urban legend!

Actually I've never ever heard of that. Maybe they only give them out at superbrain universities and not plebian ones like mine (Reading).

yabighoor
June 8th, 2004, 19:43

BullS**t

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 21:00
Gotcha. I was actually thinking of our grades for individual subjects

1 - total, utter failure in everything, including misspelling your own name on the exam paper

2 - regular fail

3 - conceded pass, but you can't get many of these before they start failing you, plus I don't think all subjects have them

4 - pass

5 - credit

6 - distinction

7 - high distinction

For complete degrees, we basically just have 1st-class honours, IIa honours and IIb honours, but the rules vary between departments

weird.. WA is different.

below 50 = fail
50-59 = pass
60-69 = credit
70-79 = distinction
80+ = High distinction

and yeah.. honours is different.. although, I got screwed on mine..

69.75 so basically I was 0.25% away from upper second-class honours.. wankers.. ;( not ... happy... jan..

professor_chimpenstein
June 8th, 2004, 21:10
I got 59.75 as my average and ended up with a 2:1 - I believe they round up to the nearest percent.

At least they did for me!

This was about 2 years ago tho' so not as to try and steal any of Yabighoors congrats.

Congrats Yabighoor!

Cornelius
June 8th, 2004, 21:41

BullS**t

*smiles*

It does exist, believe it or not... ...a friend of mine got one about ten years or so ago.

Ciara - congrats on your grade!

Kyler
June 8th, 2004, 23:02
One of my best friends did a one-year university exchange from Canada to the UK at U of East Anglia and he said the university system there is a joke; too easy, not academically rigorous, and a piece of cake to pass. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I have no judgement myself, I was just shocked to hear my friend say this because I would think the British uni system would be among the best in the world.

Kyler

yabighoor
June 8th, 2004, 23:22
I think the British system is quite different from the american (canadian), a lot of self study is involved an d it really depend on what year your friend chose to study over here. I 'll bet it wasn't 3rd or 4th year. First and second year are a total doddle though.

:wink:

Chiara
June 9th, 2004, 02:59
One of my best friends did a one-year university exchange from Canada to the UK at U of East Anglia and he said the university system there is a joke; too easy, not academically rigorous, and a piece of cake to pass. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I have no judgement myself, I was just shocked to hear my friend say this because I would think the British uni system would be among the best in the world.

Kyler

I wouldn't actually call UEA a university, soo....

It's a completely different method of assessment so not really comparable. Americans seem to think that lower pass marks = easier studies, but the exams are structured differently so it's a lot harder to obtain higher marks. A lot of the work is self motivated, therefore it's very easy to slack off without anyone noticing for quite a while. I think that's a real failing in the system as a lot of people slip through the cracks. As for easy to pass, I'm not so sure about that - I had to do a hell of a lot of hard work to get my degree, it was very rigorous and challenging. People in my year who slacked off didn't pass or did really badly in the end. I think it really depends on the course and the university.

lorenzokenzo
June 9th, 2004, 03:41
Next month i graduate from one of the best universities for biology in the UK with an affiliated world leading biotech research park. Its also has the best environmental science school in the country, along with an extremely good school of history, an excellent law school and some of the best PGCE training in england. In addition it has an olympic sized swimming pool, a brand new school of medicine and is situated in one of the most beautiful and relaxed counties in the uk.

Although relatively modern and originally a poly-technic, the University of East Anglia has established itself amongst the traditional institutions as a dynamic, cutting edge establishment. This is reflected in the UCAS points required for admission.

I'm not in a position to comment on foreign exchange programs at the UEA but i do feel the need to jump to its defence in the light of previous comments.

Shotokai
June 9th, 2004, 04:03
I always heard that UK Degrees were harder then USA ones and therefore hold more value.
and as for UEA, "YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A POLLY" come to a real Uni like Cardiff University rated 24/24 in inspections at the school of biosciences and a leading research organisation.

morikyd
June 9th, 2004, 04:57
For American schools really depends on what uni/college you are at and what you are studying as to how difficult the degree is to achieve. If you are coming from Julliard with a theatre degree its entirely different than from say Ball State...Then again, even though Notre Dame is a prestigious school, their theatre program isnt really all that hot. Lots of factors go into ranking and assessing a degree in the US. And of course an individual may be awesome in their field even if they did come from a less prestigious school.
Do these final marks sort of standardize the education at different British Universities? Do you put your grade on your resumes? How does it work? What does it all mean?

Faustus
June 9th, 2004, 10:10
It can also depend on what your university's core requirements are in the US, as well. For instance, if you go to West Point or the Naval Academy, everyone has to take things like electrical engineering, chemistry, calculus- enough that even if you're a history major, you'll get a Bachelor of Science, not a BA. By contrast, I know of some places that don't have breadth requirements at all (which basically means that unless your major requires you to take something particularly difficult, you can go your whole college career without taking any course you might find especially challenging).

Some places also have Honors programs, which can make a degree more difficult (to get my Honors degree I had to take a certain number of "Honors level" courses, which basically means more reading, longer papers, tougher grading. I also had to have a certain grade point average). So that can make it tougher, as well- really, the best way to determine how good a student someone was is to look at their course choices and class ranking, so you can compare them against other students in their school, and it's somewhat standardized.

Also, speaking of Brit universities, I've got deferred admission to the University of York's MA program in Comparative Politics. Anyone here go to York for a degree and have some feedback? I've heard good things about it, but I'm always up for more info.

Shotokai
June 12th, 2004, 01:16
yes, I will be slapping my (just awarded) 2(1) on my CV. it is the only way employers have of telling how well you've done. that and referees. it is important to get at least a 2(1) nowadays as so many people are in uni it pushes the other grades down in value, a 2(2) aint worth what it used to be. my former boss got a 3rd and he was earning over 60Grand before he retired. granted he worked up to it, but a 3rd back then was much more valuable then it is now. now it isn't worth the paper it's printed on really. but people do say that your degree only counts for your first job and then it's mainly experience that employers look for. so having a good degree on your CV would hugely increase you chances of getting that first job.

sorry for ranting on. I GOT A 2(1)!!! I WAS SURE I'D GET A 2(2). YEAH ME!

Shoto

yabighoor
June 13th, 2004, 03:03
Shotokai, well done. Now we're both in the 2.1 club! Wahoo!!

adammoogle
June 13th, 2004, 05:25
ok, i've studied in both the UK and the US and heres my two pennies worth...

the uk system starts off easy, at least it did for me, its a qualifying year just to get you up to speed on your choice of subject and up to uni level. piece of piss.

second year things get a little tougher, more essays, larger word counts, and usually quite a breadth of subjects can be studied...you can breaze through if you want but if your hoping for a 1st you'd better put some effort in... :x

3rd and final year, bugger! :twisted: now your specializing in your chosen field, things are studied in depth and you expected to be able to understand difficult concepts and form pretty sophisticated arguements and come up with original ideas and thoughts. You will also probably have a dissertation to do...and the best of these are of publishable quality, not for the faint hearted...keep enjoying your afternoons in the pub and scrape a 2:2 or plonk yourself down in the library night and day and hope for the best...

now the actual amount of teaching time in the uk is pretty small (although the sciences do get alot with practical stuff included) anything from 4 to 10 hours on average...and like people have said before, your expected to be bright enough to do alot of the study yourself, read the books, understand the concepts and apply them to whatever your doing...

from my experience in the US I had over 20 hours teaching time, continual assessment in the form of little quizies in class, and about 3 exams done throughout the year in each class. I think the largest essay I had to do was about 5000 words (compare this to the 50,000 word essay they made us do in the uk :roll: ) I also had for the first time in my life multiple choice exams! and one class (on ancient rome i think) atually let you have you notes with you for the exam! (teachers reasoning was 'I'm not expected to teach without notes so you shouldn't be expected to do without them either' :? ) the classes I took varied alot in difficulty but they were all senior level and I ended up with a GPA of 4.0. in the UK i was 2% off a 1st, which is as good as being 9% away...giving me a 2:1.

in my experience the US system is much easier to do well in, theres less importance put on coming up with original ideas (your basically expected to regurgatate the teachers notes back to them) tests are often and small, as are essays, and the teacher will basically give you all the info you need to pass...

...but then again esid :wink: :P

good luck to everyone still waiting for there results! :)

unknown
June 14th, 2004, 03:39
Hey congrats for the 2:1...thats great news...but one thing i gotta ask..how did you get your results so fast?? Do you know if this is just your uni thing??

I'm still waiting...and I have a feeling it aint pretty :?

aly22_B
June 15th, 2004, 23:11
hello......well I got my results this morning....first class honours....I am still in shock!!!!

yabighoor
June 15th, 2004, 23:28
My goodness! 8O Well done for getting a first. That's amazing.

aly22_B
June 15th, 2004, 23:48
hey thx.........i want to celebrate...but stuck at work till 6!...........there were two things I really wanted this year...a first and JET........am so please to get both!..........life feels wonderful!!!!!

Dave
June 16th, 2004, 02:12
Wahoo!
you may now all address me as DaveB, MA Hons :D
I got myself a lovely little 2.1 :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

adammoogle
June 16th, 2004, 02:56
congrats dave...but not a first... :wink: ...what will your poor mother say!

Kat
June 16th, 2004, 04:00
Sehr gut dave!

but MA? not a BA? My, my, you are clever!

But congrats!

Dave
June 16th, 2004, 04:52
Sehr gut dave!

but MA? not a BA? My, my, you are clever!

But congrats!

Hehehe and I forgot the 'Hons' bit :D

:P

Kat
June 16th, 2004, 05:42
easy, don't get all cocky!! :wink:

Dave
June 16th, 2004, 05:49
sorry Kat :oops:
when do you get your results back then? My fingers are crossed and my thumbs are pressed for you! :D

Kat
June 16th, 2004, 19:01
Hehe, bless the Germans eh and their funny ways. No results for ages Dave, my uni is s-l-o-w....
keep pressing your thumbs mind, think i might need it!

But congrats again, chuffed eh? All those years of work (or lack of?!) and money for a bit of paper, nice!