PDA

View Full Version : Rate your predecessor!

VinceXII
June 9th, 2004, 13:30
We should all have had the time to meet and get to know our preds pretty well by now. Let me know how you rate your predecessor. Mine seems to be only mildly helpful...I'm going with "Meh" on this one.

Mere
June 9th, 2004, 14:11
Um... Actually I think the majority are still waiting to know:

A) who their predecessor is

and

B) what city/town/village they'll be placed in

I know I am... I feel like a little kid waiting to open presents every time I go to my mailbox. *Sigh.* At least I know what date the my plane is leaving! :wink:

~Mere

Nikbot
June 9th, 2004, 14:32
We should all have had the time to meet and get to know our preds pretty well by now.

Lol, maybe we should have, but I still don't even know where I'm going. For all I know, I'm being passed around all the BOEs in Japan because they all think I look too scary and deranged to let near their children.

morikyd
June 9th, 2004, 14:34
yeah, I only just got an E-mail from my pred and she said she wasn't actually supposed to be contacting me yet. Minimal info thus far, but she gets major points for writing ahead of time...I have to hold off for a bit before I vote.

kellicopter
June 9th, 2004, 16:58
i love my pred.

she is very helpful and mails me back within a day whenever i think of another dumb question to ask her.
she has given me the low down on everything and is leaving me all the stuff for free...
i feel very lucky :D :D

kell

Cornelius
June 9th, 2004, 17:20
Kell is officially the luckiest person in JET2004.

As for myself, I'm one of the many people who have yet to be told my exact placement. It's my belief that I will find this out shortly, and soon after that hear from my pred.

Until then, I sit. And wait.

yabighoor
June 9th, 2004, 17:40
I'll have to hold out to vote as well because I stillhave to find out where I'm placed. Wish they'd let me know though :?

dobharrison
June 9th, 2004, 17:48
Are you really on the JET Programme, Kell? What's all this nice pred business??? And why aren't I seeing any of it!?!?!

Grrrrr

Beq
June 9th, 2004, 17:56
My pred started off really well, emailed me two days after I found out where I was going, then once more, but ignoreed most of what I'd asked in her in my in-between emails. I realise that she's busy, moving house at the mo, and can't email from work, but geez. i haven't heard from her since, and my emails are sounding alittle more desperate with each passing day - I just want to know what grades I'll be teaching, for starters!!!!

morikyd
June 9th, 2004, 18:20
I understand Beq! You aren't alone!
I just got my initial E-mail from her three days ago, responded immediately and I am already chomping at the bit to hear more. Maybe I shouldn't have asked quite so many questions right off the bat. Maybe I overwhelmed her. We could have worked out a yes or no question a day system to establish a steady, if painfully slow flow of information.

Day One
Q: Do we have a stove?

A: No

Day Two
Q: Do we teach elementary students

A: yes

Day Three
Q: How many omiyage should I bring?

A: Thats not a yes or no question...

ect, ect, ect

Chiara
June 9th, 2004, 18:41
I just got an email from mine, James.

Loads of great info on the school and the classes I'll be teaching, what the students are like, that kind of thing. He's done a great job in selling my school to me - I'm so happy as it sounds really good! He gave me lowdowns on all the JTEs and they all seem decent.

Unfortunately, typical bloke, hasn't told me much about the amount of storage space I'll have for all my shoes, and has only offered to sell me his stuff. Boo. But he does have a car, which I may just take off his hands... Will hang off voting until I hear how much he wants for everything ;)

kellicopter
June 9th, 2004, 23:28
corn and dob

im starting to realize it has nothing to do with luck..i think it is coz im south african..hehe :D

yes yes. the more i think about it that is it..the africans are always on top of the food chain :wink: :wink:

kell

dobharrison
June 9th, 2004, 23:35
the africans are always on top of the food chain :wink: :wink:

Oh my God!!! Does this mean you'll be eating us!?!

starnia
June 9th, 2004, 23:45
I just got an email from a person in my town...but not my pred...just a person who saw my name on the list.

So, I can't say for sure how my pred is, except that they haven't read the frickin' list yet ....AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

So, maybe I can vote....Mwah hah ha...

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 01:40
the africans are always on top of the food chain :wink: :wink:

Oh my God!!! Does this mean you'll be eating us!?!

of course she'll be eating us.. but only to see what we taste like. :)

in honour of kel, I dedicate my latest avatar. :)

as for pred. I still don't know.. but the ppl in my area sound cool!

so, hurray for the Hyogo JETs .. esp. those in Yabu-shi .. (inaka)

VinceXII
June 10th, 2004, 02:27
I suppose I should pay more attention. I thought most people had been in contact with their pred by now. I guess it's just the vocal minority that has confirmation or specific locations. Maybe this poll is going to have to wait a few weeks before it can be answered...

stinky_hippie
June 10th, 2004, 03:42
is there anything I should eat so that I will taste better?

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 04:04
is there anything I should eat so that I will taste better?

licorice.. and strawberry liqueur.. :) and chocolate.. lots of chocolate.. :)

chocolate makes all things taste better.. :)

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 04:11
oh.. and small yellow birds.. did I mention the small yellow birds?

;)

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 05:35
I heard that the Japanese hate liquorice? is that right?

If so im sooo tempted to buy some of that liquorice root - its even worse than the actual sweet.

There you go sir - some authentic Chester Liquorice

MrSnrub
June 10th, 2004, 08:06
My language exchange buddy certainly hated licorice. Maybe we can use it as a punishment.

As for preds maybe the final judgement will be when we get there and all is revealed....

miffymiao
June 10th, 2004, 08:17
I would rate my wonderful Pred as really close to Divine, since he's quick and generous with responses and offered to give me his car and mountain bike for free and other seemingly lavish items at a reasonable price. Maybe because he's from friendly WA state as well? ^_-q*

By the way, Cottamg, where did you get your intriguing yellow bird-eating Avatar?

Cornelius
June 10th, 2004, 08:29
Yup, I too would like to know.

Damn, it's hypnotic.

Yakaji
June 10th, 2004, 08:42
I just heard from my predecessor Monday evening, which is nice since that's the first time I've been available to talk myself. He confirmed (essentially) that I did get my first choice of placement, in Takayama-shi, Gifu-ken. He's been very helpful, answering my questions promptly thus far and providing lots of useful information. I look forward to learning more from him!

nitrate
June 10th, 2004, 09:26
My pred is definately of the 'angel' variety. Have had good contact via email and she phoned the other day and we spent the best part of an hour chewing the cud. She is charging me for loads of stuff, but only cos she had to set up from scratch when she got there. It does feel like she is being reasonable with the money (she doesn't actually want paying til dec!)

The Prefectural Advisor make them fill out a 20 page form with all the info about employers, schools, classes, lessons, appt info, car info, for sale info (+photos) and a list of what gifts to bring for each person!

In my welcome pack i also got a 5 page welcome from the CIR, a newsletter, a 2 page letter from my pred and a commererative offering from okinawa in the form of a cd rom!

I have no complaints!

A :D

Jay
June 10th, 2004, 09:36
I haven't heard anything yet. I am looking forward to hearing from predecessor as well as my school. I hope I get information soon seeing as I have already read the information package from CLAIR. I need more material!

Kanadajin
June 10th, 2004, 09:54
Hey everyone! I remember waiting for my info packets and such three short years ago, and emailing my predecessor was the best thing!

However, if you haven't been contacted by your predecessor please remember the following:
1) some schools (especially highschools) are slow to process information, so your predecessor may be dying to pass along all the info they've prepared, but their school hasn't told them a peep about who you are or where you come from, much less your email address.
2)some schools won't allow the alt to contact before a certain date due to budget figures pending...they're not sure yet if they have been approved to provide the expenditures for a new jet yet and dont' want the current alt contacting a jet who may be placed in a different area...

I actually am part of #1....I work in a prefectural high school, so we get new jets to fill opening positions, so they say, we need 11 new highschool jets in Shimane ken....but then we don't know who is assigned to what school until really late! So....my supervisor is at a meeting today in the capital city of Matsue to find this out....I really pressured her to try to get an email address for me so I can contact the new jet! Very frustrating when you are trying to be a good predecessor, but can't!

The local boards of education, ie., Junior highschool alt's who work in a city board of education, usually find out their replacements first, in our city, Masuda city, we are getting 1 alt a guy from Arizona it appears....not sure if they are emailing or not yet....

So if you are someone going to Shimane prefecture, Masuda city, send me a message! I'd love to find my predecessor. In addition to the guy from ARizona going into the jr. high position here, there is a female from the UK who is taking over my husband's position at the commercial highschool.....but haven't found my replacement yet!

So hold tight and don't assume it's your predecessor sucking the big one necessarily....there are a lot of paperwork and red tape to get through on this end, you'll understand when you get here yourself!!!

Here's to contacting and happy relations with your predecessor....yay!
Kanadajin

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 13:03
By the way, Cottamg, where did you get your intriguing yellow bird-eating Avatar?

aaahh.. you'll need to read the 'placement related avatar' thread..

and it's from an anime. jungle wa itsumo guru guru.. something?.. damn.. can't remember the full name... anyway, it is one of the most RANDOM anime's I have ever watched.. and that's saying something.

VinceXII
June 10th, 2004, 14:58
Yeah, Amul. I got that great welcome packet from the prefectural advisor, too. Wasn't that CDROM hilarious? Except the packet that I got from my pred didn't have much information or was very vague in spots. Also, no photos...at all.

But, classes were apparently cancelled today thanks to a typhoon, so he had time to send me a pretty informative and long email. It made me happy. (I've had my share of snow days and even some heat days here in Nebraska, but I'm looking forward to typhoon days!)

-V12

dobharrison
June 10th, 2004, 17:41
I heard that the Japanese hate liquorice? is that right?

That is correct. Every single Japanese person hates the taste of liquorice! I remember giving it to my students once as a joke, as I knew they couldn't say no! Watching them try to chew it slowly, grimacing, was such fun. Now they know how I feel trying their crazy food! Ha ha ha!!!!

On the flip side, however, no Westerner likes natto (fermented soy bean paste), so they can easily get their own back - watch out!

Muffskkg
June 15th, 2004, 13:45
i love my pred.

she is very helpful and mails me back within a day whenever i think of another dumb question to ask her.
she has given me the low down on everything and is leaving me all the stuff for free...
i feel very lucky :D :D

kell

Mine too, she's also taking me out partying on the beach the first weekend I'm in town, she is frickin AWESOME, I feel very lucky to have her. She usually writes twice a day and is making sure everything is set up for me by our supervisor before I get there. She's even trying to get me a new apartment b/c the one she's in now is old and crappy. VERY thankful for Rachelle.

justhis1nce
June 15th, 2004, 14:57
I don't have a predecessor! I got an email this morning from Kobe which told me my address (which I guess will come in handy when I mail stuff in July) and the stuff the BOE would supply. Good thing I'm working this summer; I need money to clothe my naked apartment!

mistress_pooky
June 15th, 2004, 15:01
my pred has been a dear. I've gotten a few emails from her and she's called me. She's also writing up an "instruction manual" about stuff I should know about and has given me some good deals on the car and stuff she bought for the house.

mchriste
June 15th, 2004, 21:37
My predesecessor isn't charging me for any of the stuff in the apartment or her bike, don't need a car because I'm in the center of town and 5 mins away from everything. She sends me dteailed answers to all questions I have asked and is even willing to ask the school for things that I might like. The only things I will have to purchase will be a futon(hers is 4 years old so she's throwing it out) and a phone line. But I don't see that as being bad at all.

cottamg
June 22nd, 2004, 14:21
yay!!!

I'm finally in contact with my pred! hooray for internet stalking! :)

She's fantastic! a divine being no less! She even gave me the run down on my fellow teachers, their names, what they teach, and even where they sit in relation to me! How cool is that.

:)

Don't give up hope ppl.... you will hear from them!

mara
June 23rd, 2004, 09:34
My pred has been wonderful. He has given me the low down on all of the teachers, and replys to my many many questions the next day. He really is awsome!!!!! Apparently he had a terrible experience with his pred and was determined to do a beeter job when it was his turn. Most of the things in my apartment will be provided my the school ( fride, washer,dryer,heater, AC, Kotatsu, futon, desk, etc) and he's selling me everything else that I need (bed, iron, ironing board, fans, all the kitchen supplies, and lots of oter stuff) for about 250 USD. I am very pleased.

Kanadajin
June 23rd, 2004, 21:41
:) ha ha

I just got in touch with my male, UK incoming and I am so pumped. Seemed like a sweet guy on the phone and I really loved my town and school for all 3 years I've been here so I'm determined to make his transition to living in Japan as seamless as possible from my end!

And in a nice turn of events, my at times overeager supervisor is being WAY cool about stuff and we are actually working as a team to prepare for the new ALT so it looks like we'll set aside our similar working personalities (we both don't like to delegate tasks we like things done perfectly ie. our own way!!) will end up coming together rather than facing off as in the past. Helps me tie things up emotionally here in Japan too that way!

Yay nice newcomers and here's to predecessors who are helpful like me! I plan on letting the new ALT choose whatever he wants from my old apartment, cause he's getting a new one for no charge because I've been here for 3 years and I'm nice. The only thing I'd like to sell is my car, and I'm offering it to him first, but should it not be the investment he wants to make, then I've already advertised it in 2 local papers. What's not to like, white plate, 5 people can fit, Honda Civic, new snow tires for ski trips who hoo!!! And a steal (love used cars here) at 170 000 yen (I promised the last owner to knock off so much off what I bought it for.) Only catch is shakken is due this October, meaning new brakes and such like that to keep an older car on the road will be needed, but still saves you the headaches of no trains in inaka....and carpooling is cheaper!!!

So don't feel pressured into buying stuff from your predecessor, if it is that new, ask them for a picture of it and ask around here in the chatroom if people here think it's a good deal. I know some JETs got screwed by their predecessors and pass down the pain, so the story about the JET who was being nice because he was screwed over is refreshing to hear! Yay nice predecessors yet again!!!

Good luck to everybody and have a great great day!!!

:) happy kanadajin contacts her predecessor finally!!!!! :wink:

professor_chimpenstein
June 23rd, 2004, 22:07
My pred has been very nice and has now sent me pictures of my apartment and stuff tavailable to buy so I definitely have no complaints about her!

Just cant wait to get there now!

James

VinceXII
June 24th, 2004, 04:39
Great post Kanadajin. Thanks!

And, chimp, who touched the hammer?

Lisa
June 25th, 2004, 20:57
I haven't heard from my pred as such but 4/5 people in the area have gotten in touch with me through email and even a welcome letter with my contract, i thought this was really thoughtful!! :) They have all offered their advice and all seem to be friendly and very helpful.

My contracting agency still haven't decided where to put me, it's down too 2 postions (my pred could be male or female), but it sounds as though they may be leaning towards me replacing the female alt.
Either way i'm pretty happy but i'll hold off voting till i hear from my official pred.

Nikbot
June 29th, 2004, 02:35
My pred seems like a solid geezer. He's not at all pushy about offloading his gear and has been really nice and has nothing but lovely things to say about Osaka, our apartment building and the other JETs.

We haven't got around to talking prices for his gear yet, but I don't suspect that he'll try to rip me off. I want to see pictures and itemised lists anyway, just so I know exactly what I'm getting. The SKY TV thing might cost a bit, but could be worth it. He's offering to sell a phone line, but I think I'll rent one instead. I can't really afford to buy one straight away (without pounding Mr Visa) and renting will be cheaper unless I stay the max time, anyway, or so I'm told.

professor_chimpenstein
June 29th, 2004, 04:31
you have sky?

Nice 1 neighbour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Im buying the phone line and all of me preds stuff for £425

Just thought it might help you decide when you get a price offered.

Noice 1 geeza!

James

weens
July 1st, 2004, 13:33
my pred seems ok, she has emailed me back straight away (except for today) but she is charging me 30,000yen for her stuff (even though i'm moving into a new apartment) and i have to pay for all the set-up costs myself.

I am going to leave my successor everything for nothing, i think its wrong how preds charge sucessors, of course i understand they paid for some of the goods themselves, but they have to realise if they buy a table, they cant ship it home and they will have to leave it in japan, so if you dont wanna buy it, don't!!

i dont feel like i am getting screwed but i think everything should just be left as is...

cottamg
July 1st, 2004, 20:01
my pred seems ok, she has emailed me back straight away (except for today) but she is charging me 30,000yen for her stuff (even though i'm moving into a new apartment) and i have to pay for all the set-up costs myself.

I am going to leave my successor everything for nothing, i think its wrong how preds charge sucessors, of course i understand they paid for some of the goods themselves, but they have to realise if they buy a table, they cant ship it home and they will have to leave it in japan, so if you dont wanna buy it, don't!!

i dont feel like i am getting screwed but i think everything should just be left as is...

I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere. But nonetheless, I don't think it's wrong for preds to charge successors at all.... if the successors are willing to buy the goods. If the successor is not willing to buy, then the pred has the option of selling it to someone else, or as you say they can leave it....

Gareth

llumynia
July 2nd, 2004, 07:03
My pred is just wonderful, that's all. Just fantastic.

weens
July 2nd, 2004, 16:08
I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere. But nonetheless, I don't think it's wrong for preds to charge successors at all.... if the successors are willing to buy the goods. If the successor is not willing to buy, then the pred has the option of selling it to someone else, or as you say they can leave it....

Gareth

Just because you have a fancy house in Hyogo!!! :D

dobharrison
July 12th, 2004, 18:45
My pred recently got in touch with me and he seems like a lovely guy.

Dynamis
July 13th, 2004, 02:05
Still waiting for a reply to my first mail. And he still hasnt told me how much he's charging for his stuff. "Discount prices" makes me fear the worst, however.

Bah, i can cope with unfurnished. Maybe ill charge him to have it all removed!

Matt

lorenzokenzo
July 18th, 2004, 18:34
My pred is a star!

yesterday i received a parcel from her and the English club with loads of small letters and drawings from my students to be.

she also made me a CD-rom with 85 video clips showing me the school, my town, my apartment and even my desk!

It was very strange to see my future co-workers and students waving to the camera and welcoming me to the town.

She's also leaving me all her stuff for free and giving me her samurai fighting fish and a large selection of plants.

Luckily she's gonna be about when i arrive, so i've agreed to take her out for a meal to thank her.

Dynamis
July 19th, 2004, 07:50
OK, my pred just (finally) sent me a mail with how much he wants for his stuff. It comes out at over 1000 dollars!!! needless to say, my ex-student wallet has point blank refused to spend that much for a pile of crap i could get at the 100 yen shop. So, here's the list, what's a good deal, and whats a pile of camel droppings?

As for the furniture, I'll go ahead and itemize things for you. As I mentioned earlier, when I got the apt, no one had been living there for 3 years, so I had to go out and get a whole new set of furniture, which was a tad pricey, but I will sell everything to you at 1/3 discount of what i paid, which i think in the end makes the overall package very reasonable...you will have the best apartment of them all. Here are the items, with the price I paid, and the discount price in US dollars.

1) 31 inch color TV and stand $200 > 134
2) Semidouble foam mattress bed plus frame $500> 330... the best bed in the world, conforms to your body shape!
3) Dining Room Set -$750> 500 very chic
Dinnertable and 2 chairs $200>134
Red Reclining Chair 150> 100
Couch 200>134 Red
Rug 40>27 matches the dining set
3 cool couchside lamps (lighing in apt is horrible)- 100>67 with colored lightbulbs and extra lightbulbs
Coffee Table 60> 40 Red and silver to match the rest of set

4) Microwave and coffeemaker 80> 54
5) Dehumidifier $100> 67 a must in these apartments, which will otherwise mold in the hot humidity
6) Bicycle 60> 40 bought it used, still in good condition
7) Nightstand 30> 20
8) Dish Cabinet 50>34 HUGE, also used
9) Electric Fan 30> 20 essential for summer, since the air con is shoddy

OK, after staring in disbelief at the huge numbers, and then adding them all up and staring again, I decided that I'll take the TV, the dehumidifier, the bike, the microwave, and maybe the fan. And he can do what he likes with the rest. Anything there, i just HAVE to have, that ive missed??[/quote]

Lisa
July 29th, 2004, 07:37
My pred is excellent, i'm getting everything for free in the apartment, even a BBQ!! She has been really helpful and encouraging and is leaving me a list of advice and teaching ideas at my apartment that will help me settle in. :) She also runs a volunteer agency "Go MAD" that i'm going to join. I think she is an angel!!

nicklad
July 30th, 2004, 19:33
Dynamis, I am sure the dinner set is a must for all those dinner parties that JET's are renowned for.
Sounds like he is trying to sell you the stuff that came with the apartment. Who buys a full dining room set??

My pred sounds cool. He is selling me his stuff for about £500 but it all sounds useful, air con, TV, video, stereo etc.
Plus I dont have to pay until I am over there and then I can pay in installments.