PDA

View Full Version : intro

miffymiao
June 9th, 2004, 13:53
Hi! I'm feeling like I'm the last person to do a Tohoku self-introduction >_<, but here it is:

I'm Mandy, and this weekend, I will graduate from the University of Washington (in Seattle, Washington) with B.A.s in Japanese Linguistics and Communications (Media Studies).

I have been placed as the CIR for Hachinohe City, which is in the east side of Aomori. I was glad to hear that it's an area in Aomori that doesn't snow as much. I'd requested to be placed somewhere in Kobe or Osaka, but I take consolation in being geographically closer to host families in Hakodate, Hokkaido.

Music: Some of my favorite bands/musicians are Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Duncan Sheik, Dave Matthews Band, Incubus, Coldplay; Japanese indie/folk/Okinawan rock, as well as the Tsugaru Shimsen-playing of the Yoshida Brothers (Is there anyone out there placed in Tsuruta, Aomori?) I wish I know how to play a shamisen, since there's no way I can ship my piano over for my amateur attempt at song-writing and singing.

Films: "Before Sunrise," "Reality Bites" "Great Expectations" (coincidentally all starring Ethan Hawke) "Love Letter" and "All About Lily Chou-chou," (anything by Iwai Shunji), all the works of art by Miyazaki Hayao.

Art: Yoshimoto Nara, Jimmy (Taiwan)

Book: Right now "Radio" by Murakami Haruki

I apologize for this getting so long...-__-; I look forward to meeting with you at the orientation!

Cornelius
June 9th, 2004, 17:17
Hiya miffymiao, glad to have you aboard.

Just to keep everything centered on the one forum thread - could you repost this onto the Introductions for Tohoku thread? That's where everyone from our little area of the world (Aomori, Iwate, Akita, Miyagi, Yamagata, Fukushima) has posted their introductions, and I'd like to keep them together.

C.

charliemac
June 10th, 2004, 00:28
Hi miffymiao,

Looks like we'll be neighbors... I'll be an ALT in Shimoda-machi to the west of Hachinohe (i think about 15 minutes by car). I suspect I'll be going to Hachinohe often for shopping at the very least. I look forward to meeting you there :)

katharine
June 10th, 2004, 05:49
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Mandy. :D