PDA

View Full Version : Aussie culture?

Nikbot
June 9th, 2004, 14:43
I was just thinking about the whole 'cultural exchange' thing and I realised one thing: most Australian cultural events revolve around sport, getting drunk, or both. I gather we won't be allowed to get junior high kids loaded up on VB, so our ability to promote our culture in an active, demonstrative manner is severely hampered.

Anyway, what do you lot think of as quintessentially Australian?

Beach/backyard cricket
BBQs with burnt sausages
Vegemite on toast for brekky
Melbourne Cup sweepstakes
Going to the races and not watching a single race
Watching football and rubbishing the ref/unmpire (any code)
Picking on your mates
Taking sickies

Anything else?

Pat
June 9th, 2004, 16:23
Don't forget Australia is a multi-cultural country, just like America, Canada and the GB. In Japan, 99% of the population are Japanese, that's why we are hired to "internationalising" Japan. At least train them not to stare at blue-eyed, blonde haired gaijin :wink:

downonrodeo
June 9th, 2004, 16:38
Going camping in the bush/ near the beach for a family holiday (and ending up homocidal with one another).

Fish n Chips at the beach (until the wind finally blows it all off the table and the seagulls come to finish it off).

Eating wedges and tomato sauce at the uni refec (while the ibis circle your table).

Nikbot
June 9th, 2004, 17:05
Ah, yes, ibii! I wonder if they have those bloody birds in Japan. I'll take some pictures of them in case the kids haven't seen the absurd beasts before.

It's also very Australian to have a kookaburra steal the sausage out of your bread while you're standeing there holding it.

Beq
June 9th, 2004, 17:47
I'm taking a coupld of tubes (yes, tubes, you think I can be trusted with glass jars? HA!) of vegemite with me. Almost everyone else in the entire world hates the taste of it, but it will be great to have (mmm, breakfast) and to give the kids a taste of back home!

professor_chimpenstein
June 9th, 2004, 21:11
Isnt a lot of Aussie culture the same as British and Irish culture? At least our history is the same what with the british colonising it n all.

(sorry - not being cocky - just realised it could of sounded like that. But honestly what did you study in your own history? was it the same crap i had to learn?)

James

Nikbot
June 9th, 2004, 23:04
But our culture involves winning sporting contests, Professor :wink:

abunaidave
June 9th, 2004, 23:14
chimp: I don't blame you for thinking that. I can't say you're totally wrong but don't want to say you're right. ^_^ As a side note... Australia as a country only has a history of... what? 103 years? Part of the commonwealth(initially as a colony) since 1788 or something?

Oh, and before anyone else mentions it, I would like to say England only won the Rugby Union because Wilkinson cheats. I don't know how he does it, remote controlled ball or something. But either way, it doesn't count. :P

And for the sake of good memories... I remember a kookaburra doing trying to do that to us, after he'd allready got a sausage off the BBQ while we were cooking it.

Its pretty much true that anything I can think of as quintessentially Aussie involves sports or alcohol. It seems like Aussie "culture" is the bastard child of pretty much every other culture. The one thing about Australia that I can't see any particular influence in is how relaxed/laid back we are. Maybe this can be attributed to the beer and sports though :D

How to bring this to Japan in the form of Omiyage, or explain it to the students... I'm not sure.

One thing I do know I'm going to try and do at least... assuming I can get ingredients (shipped over) I'm going to make the few Aussie foods I can think of: Damper (with golden syrup), Anzac Biscuits, Lamingtons... but also other food my family eats regularly. I'm a big fan of the whole get them to try some of our food thing. A BBQ would be good too... if there was going to be BBQ facilities somewhere.

I'm not too keen on the VB myself, but what I'd give (not including vast amounts of money, at least until after I've been paid) to bring over a case of XXXX, maybe some Australian Wines and some Bundaberg Rum. Get a good ol' fashioned Aussie pissup happening overseas.

Nikbot
June 10th, 2004, 00:52
Buying XXXX in Victoria is bad enough; it's seriously old and nasty by the time you get it. I wouldn't even consider getting it in Japan ... but then again I don't even drink it when I'm in Brisbane, living a few km from the brewery.

I might take along some overproof Inner Circle rum, just to make them cough and splutter (not the schoolkids, but any game Japanese person unwise enough to enter my apartment). I think my tipple of choice will be shochu on cracked ice with umeboshi. I was put onto this at Chocolate Buddha in Melbourne and I was sold. It's kind of like a martini, only more Japanese. Shochu is apparently dirt cheap, so that's a plus.

My mate in Kagoshima-ken said that his kids are fascinated and repulsed by eucalyptus oil.

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 01:20
My mate in Kagoshima-ken said that his kids are fascinated and repulsed by eucalyptus oil.

hmm... well.. again to steal from another culture.. how are you guys at throwing a boomerang? :)

and don't forget to tell them about drop bears and how we ride to school on the back of our pet kangaroo's :)

theangelkiller
June 10th, 2004, 02:13
don't ya'll be playin' those digeree' things?
and aren't visiting anthropologists kind of an australian thing?

cottamg
June 10th, 2004, 02:19
don't ya'll be playin' those digeree' things?
and aren't visiting anthropologists kind of an australian thing?

hahaha... yes.. and the didgeridoo ...

hmm... perhaps I could take some gumnuts over and show them how to 'gumnut whistle'.... ooooh.. or we could just teach them how to "coooeeeeeee" :)

how sad.. come on ppl... we need idea's here.. hmm.. I suppose I could take pictures of my pet kangaroo to show them.. :)

Nikbot
June 10th, 2004, 12:18
I might have to take my guitar and teach them "Waltzing Matilda"

abunaidave
June 10th, 2004, 20:39
*Disclaimer: Nothing useful in this post*

hehehe. Everytime I hear drop bears I can't help but think of that Bundy ad now. :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking about the boomerang thing too, just need to find some cheap ones... Of course hunting boomerangs don't return so you don't even really need to know how to throw them. :D

Nice avatars too cottamg. You anime freak. Long live Guu!

maya
June 11th, 2004, 00:46
I think beers and barbies pretty much cover aussie culture :) oh and don't forget the flies

cottamg
June 11th, 2004, 01:43
Nice avatars too cottamg. You anime freak. Long live Guu!

heh.. cheers.. I like your avatar from Azumanga Diaoh... that's one of my favourite animes :)

I think beers and barbies pretty much cover aussie culture oh and don't forget the flies

is it ever possible to forget about the flies? :) maybe we should take some with us to remind us of home.. ...

ooooh.. we could teach them "the great aussie salute" :)

or a hat with corks in it. :)

kellicopter
June 11th, 2004, 03:26
hey

just to let all you aussies know , you are not alone, we too have vegimite in South Africa
which will be sorely missed in Japan

come to think of it all we do is braai(BBQ) , drink and play sport too...

kell

morikyd
June 11th, 2004, 16:44
Silly Australians! You have great stuff to work with...I mean, scan your list...a bunch of animals found only in your country, boomerangs, morbidly fascinating(that is to say sickSICK) vegemite, freakin digeredoos!!!
Plus you've always got Steve Irwin and your excellent accents to fall back on.

cottamg
June 11th, 2004, 17:20
Silly Australians! You have great stuff to work with...I mean, scan your list...a bunch of animals found only in your country, boomerangs, morbidly fascinating(that is to say sickSICK) vegemite, freakin digeredoos!!!
Plus you've always got Steve Irwin and your excellent accents to fall back on.

Steve Irwin's australian?.. when'd that happen?

although, that is another element of "aussie culture" I suppose.. :0

the good old attitude of "give it a go".. ie.. lets all wrestle crocodiles. :)

ooooh... that's another aussie claim to fame..

ex- prime minister is in the guiness book of records for fastest yard glass scull..

I'm sure you all know who it is right.

so... not just drinking.. but drinking FAST!!!!!

dobharrison
June 11th, 2004, 17:34
Oh, you colonials! Here in jolly England we spend our free time at the theatre before retreating for a few brandies in our spacious studies. Then we wake up early the next day for a bracing bit of fox hunting.

abunaidave
June 11th, 2004, 20:59
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that would be Bob Hawke. After a couple of seconds of research, I found its 2.5 pints in a yard glass, and he downed it in 11 seconds. He was what every Aussie should be. In the drinking department anyway.

Dob: You don't go fox hunting when its crappy weather though do you? So when do you go? :?:

dobharrison
June 11th, 2004, 22:22
Dob: You don't go fox hunting when its crappy weather though do you? So when do you go? :?:

A real Englishman should go fox hunting whatever the weather! We have servants to hold the umbrellas, you know. Although, they do have difficulty keeping up with the horses.

cottamg
June 12th, 2004, 02:20
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that would be Bob Hawke. After a couple of seconds of research, I found its 2.5 pints in a yard glass, and he downed it in 11 seconds. He was what every Aussie should be. In the drinking department anyway.

That is indeed correct.. he actually held the record for the half yard as well, but I believe someone beat that a little while ago.... but no one has managed to beat the full yard glass. :)

abunaidave
June 12th, 2004, 16:26
We have servants to hold the umbrellas, you know.

Servants! How quaint. Don't suppose these servants would originate from say... colonies? For example, Australia? :wink:

(I apologise for hi-jacking this thread. It's a new experience for me, and more enjoyable than I thought it would be.)

Nikbot
June 14th, 2004, 13:21
Ah, fox-hunting ... the unspeakable chasing the inedible