PDA

View Full Version : keitai redux

mista miyagi
October 29th, 2006, 12:14
i had mentioned this in a thread a little while back but I finally got it sorted and want some input.

I have an au cell phone (ezwen.ne email address too). My first bill was a shocking 28,700 yen and I wasn't able to pay it off before the phone was shut off due to non-payment of said bill. After getting back in the black I called kddi english customer service and asked why the bill was so high. The tooth-sucking operator informed me that it was due to packet downloads... ie web browsing, etc. I found this a little weird as I only fooled around with it a little bit. My total "browsing" time totaled to maybe 5 or 6 minutes and that was mostly due to hitting the wrong button, starting the application, realizing I couldn't read the Japanese and turning it off.

Do you think that this amount of browsing time could really total to 19000 yen? Seems excessive to me. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe I hit the wrong button at some point and remained logged in to the Internet overnight... What do you think?

My other issue is with email. When I got the phone (with my supervisor on my third day here) I specifically asked if receiving email cost money and was informed that while sending email cost something like 2 yes, receiving them was free, similar to receiving calls. The same tooth sucking operator told me that in fact I do have to pay for received emails. This makes it quite a problem as I receive 20 junk emails a day on average. Is this standard practice? I think vodaphone has an 800 yen per month/all you can text/email plan but what about the others? Anybody else with au have to pay for received emails?

I think I'm going to change my email address to something more complicated than firstname@emailaddress.ne.jp and I hope that will help but I don't know... I never entered my keitai email address anywhere and started getting junk email even before I had send any emails out... ie in the first 10 minutes of having my phone.

As a sidenote I actually liked being without the phone... but I realize I really need it for people to get in touch with me.

October 29th, 2006, 16:59
Shame Mr. Miyagi!

I am also with AU, but my bill is not that high because I got good info from the start. I knew that you pay for received emails, so I bought a packet deal which really helps (I think Jaqui has a similar deal). Then the AU lady warned me that if you press the PC browser instead of EZBrowser, you will be paying through your arse.
i dont know what happened that you recieve all the spam email? I have to date received one. I did not open it when I saw that it was all in Japanese without andy mention of AU in the title. So since then have received nada. Oh and! For 100yen extra a month (or something like that) you get three AU numbers that you can phone anytime for half price. And dont forget that it is free to receive text messages from AU users (text, not email)

chibitotoro
October 29th, 2006, 17:55
Same here Narniaru, except I get a shitload of junk mail, like mr. miyagi. It varies day to day though, depending on my mail activity. If I don't send or receive any emails for a short while, the junk mails die down. As soon as I send or receive one though, I'll get like 20 junk mails over the next 24 hours.

October 29th, 2006, 21:02
ok, this may be a load of crap, but try using letters not used in romaji in you email addy (mine uses a "c", and I haven't received a junk email yet). A shot in the dark, but at that price, anything's worth a try.

I accidently left my phone unlocked, and hit the ezweb browse button. So my first bill was skyhigh. Maybe that happened to you. They make ezweb so damned easy to access.

Cornelius
October 30th, 2006, 09:10
Check out your payment plan - there might be a few tweaks you can do to it. I am au (win) and there is a packet plan which costs a min of about 1,250 yen a month that allows for x packets to be used per month. If you exceed that number of packets, the cost increases until you max out how much you pay - just under 5,000 yen a month. That means I can be unlimited on my email and internet usage each month for about 5,000 yen.

Each AU shop should have a multi-language price list for their payment plans (in chinese, english, korean, etc). If its not lying about somewhere in the show area, it should be behind one of their desks.

October 30th, 2006, 10:19
Same here Narniaru, except I get a shitload of junk mail, like mr. miyagi. It varies day to day though, depending on my mail activity. If I don't send or receive any emails for a short while, the junk mails die down. As soon as I send or receive one though, I'll get like 20 junk mails over the next 24 hours.

Maybe its the people who email you that have by mistake given your access to spam. This just happened recently in a group email list serve that I belong to. Somehow Spam snuck in and spammed everyone on the mailing list

KateW
October 30th, 2006, 11:10
That's wierd, I'm with AU as well but I was assured received e-mails were free, and so far my bill has reflected that. I use my e-mail CONSTANTLY to talk to my boyfriend, he and I whip 'em back and forth all the time, but it doesn't seem that I'm paying for him to send them. I iz confuzed?

That sucks about your bills being so high for something that seems out of your control, I hope it works out Miyagi!

October 30th, 2006, 13:44
That's wierd, I'm with AU as well but I was assured received e-mails were free, and so far my bill has reflected that. I use my e-mail CONSTANTLY to talk to my boyfriend, he and I whip 'em back and forth all the time, but it doesn't seem that I'm paying for him to send them. I iz confuzed?

That sucks about your bills being so high for something that seems out of your control, I hope it works out Miyagi!

My emails are not free to send nor receive. But to receive text messages from other AU, is free

Pandilex
October 30th, 2006, 21:29
ok, this may be a load of crap, but try using letters not used in romaji in you email addy (mine uses a "c", and I haven't received a junk email yet). A shot in the dark, but at that price, anything's worth a try.

lol, and whats the romanised version of ちょっと ?

:roll:

KateW
October 31st, 2006, 08:45
Yeah but who the hell puts 'chouto' into their e-mail address!?

See, I was told by the au girl that my receiving e-mails was free, and last month my keitai bill was around 5000 yen so....I'm inclined to believe its true. (That's after I talked on it a fair bit too.) Am I wrong, is that high? It doesn't seem high...

Pandilex
October 31st, 2006, 09:55
yeah sorry you're right there's only 1 word in the entire of japanese that contains ち

i mean, people with names like さちこ don't count obviously

:roll:

As for receiving emails, generally it's free from the same network. Why don't you go into your local store and ask them? Or pick up a brochure from somewhere?

I know that to receive a 300kb email from another network to my own costs a couple of hundred yen.