PDA

View Full Version : Homestay

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 18:55
When I recieved an email from my BOE (Osaka City) it also asked if I would like to apply to do a homestay for a weekend with a JTE and his family.

Has anyone else been offered this?

I said id like to do it as i thought it might involve free food.

Anyone else doing a homestay? and what type of gifts are you gonna give em?

James

Beq
June 10th, 2004, 19:40
My predacessor says that she's been living in a condemed apartment for 2 years, and they are finally pulling it down now, so she's moving in with a family (kind of like a homestay) for the last couple of weeks, and I'll be living with them for a few weeks when I get there, until my BOE finds me a new place to stay. (hopefully I don't need to pay key money. that would suck)

As for gifts...eeeek, I guess that they are more on a line with key people, so more substanial gifts - photos in frames, bundy rum, that kind of thing? Haven't thought too much about it yet.

yabighoor
June 10th, 2004, 19:46
I'm thinking of it myself, I was thinking that i could get them some 'scottish' biscuits and possibly a dodgy scottish teatowel. Definitely do a home stay though, because i'm in inakaville. It'll be good to get to know the neighbours.

justhis1nce
June 11th, 2004, 02:38
This sounds kind of ridiculous, but honestly, Ziploc bags are the way to go if you're doing a homestay. I gave some to my host mom when I studied in Japan and she was SO HAPPY (they're really expensive in Japan). Maybe a book about your hometown with lots of pictures, some kind of candy, or beef jerky. Seriously though, think about the Ziplocs.

Jay
June 11th, 2004, 02:54
Are you serious about the Ziploc bags? 8O

I wonder if I will be offered a chance to stay at a Japanese home for a few days... I would really like the opportunity!

Dave
June 11th, 2004, 03:10
I was tempted by the homestay thingy- but then I figured I'd probably prefer to settle as soon as possible in my new home.

morikyd
June 11th, 2004, 12:33
I am doing a homestay too because my pred is staying until August 4th and I arrive July 29th. They gave me the choice of a hotel or homestay family. Pretty cool.
I feel suspicious about the Ziploc bags. But it makes sense. At least then you aren't giving them crap they will never use.

justhis1nce
June 11th, 2004, 15:46
Damn, I had a whole response written, then I pushed... something and it all disappeared. Anyway, attempt number two...

I know, Ziplocs seem like a really strange gift, and I initially felt stupid for bringing a bunch of plastic bags to Japan. So stupid, in fact, that I didn't give them to my host mom for like 6 months. Finally I was like, I have to get rid of all these bags! so I just picked them up, took them downstairs, and asked her if she needed them. I swear, she was more excited about the bags then she had been about the other stuff I brought! You could put stuff inside the Ziplocs, like individually wrapped candies (but whatever you put in the bag, I promise it will be washed out and reused).

(I don't actually work for Ziploc, honest)

morikyd
June 11th, 2004, 16:39
Ok, I think I am gonna try it. Afterall, soap is an acceptable end of the year gift so hey, ziploc bags, yeah, whatever.

The little one you think? Or the big baggies?

Maybe I will bring some for myself too.

professor_chimpenstein
June 11th, 2004, 21:19
what are ziploc bags? are they them ones you can seal by just running the wee bit of p[lastic along the top of or are they something more extravagant?

James

justhis1nce
June 12th, 2004, 12:54
what are ziploc bags? are they them ones you can seal by just running the wee bit of p[lastic along the top of or are they something more extravagant?

James

Yep, that's what they are! Reclosable and therefore reusable! Ah, technology... :P