PDA

View Full Version : Irish JETs [south west?]

yabighoor
May 9th, 2004, 20:25
Hi guys, just wondering are there any irish jets out there? South west corner particularly. I'm at home at the moment and it would be good to meeet up and get langers with JETs-to-be. I'm in Limerick and it would be good to see some other Jets.
Ciara

numbertwo
May 12th, 2004, 21:31
Hi Ciara,

Well Done on getting in, they haven't informed you of your placement yet have they?

I am living in Limerick at the moment doing a masters in UL. I am busy with exams at the mo but send us an e-mail cos i am sure we could meet up before the orientation in Dublin.

TTYL
Martin

yabighoor
May 13th, 2004, 05:58
Martin, you don't know how long I've been trying to get in touch with someform of irish Jet. Great to hear from you. They havn't been in touch with me yet about where i'm going but i sure wish they would. I've become such a geek on the net...seeking solace etc.

I go back to Edinburgh on the 25th ( which i'm guessing is right in the middle of you're exams...my aunt goes there and is stressing at the mo!). If you fancy a break from the studying email me (i'm on most weeknights at about 10ish...reiterating the geekliness of JET), name the pub and i'm there.

See you,
Ciara

numbertwo
May 13th, 2004, 06:53
i have just started studying for exams, and my first on is next tuesday, i finish up tomorrow two weeks. I dont know if i will be able to go out htis weekend as i have very little done and i need to get a handle on things.

I am living in limerick all the time and i will be here for the summer as well, Do you come home from scotland on a regular basis?

I am not from Limerick, but am from nearby in Kilkee, Co Clare. I dont know where i will be going in Japan but it is likely to be kyshuu as most irish JET's get sent there.

Anyway keep in touch, i am on the computer all day working away and spend far too much time on the internet. There is more irish-jet relevant on a forum site called www.bigdaikon.com I have been surfing it for ages as i only just discovered this site. I think bigdaikon is better than ithinkimlost but this site is still cool. You might find some useful info in this thread i started ages ago. There are a lot of actual working jets on bigdaikon but very few newbies.

http://bigdaikon.lunarpages.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=30502

TTYL
Martin

yabighoor
May 13th, 2004, 07:07
This is the last time I'll be home for the summer, as i have a lease in Edinburgh that i have to fulfill, I also need to get a job, but i reckon I'll be fired as soon as they find out that i won't be able to work for the festival (dagnabit!). I kind of know a girl who's in Kyushu (Friend of a friend) and she's irish, recontracted for a second year and loving it! God it would be quite weird to be in little ireland (edinburgh bad enough!) also I applied through the UK embassey, so i don't know where they'll send me.

Sorry for taking you away from your studying, but keep in touch Martin amd maybe we'll see each other at orientation, what date does Ireland leave?

Ciara

numbertwo
May 13th, 2004, 07:18
I think we leave sometime in the last week of july, actually its probably less likely that you will be placed in Kyshuu cos you were hired from the UK. Where in Japan would you like to go, personally i would favour Saitama.

I might be able to go out next Saturday or Sunday evening. I'll leave a message if you are around.

Best of luck finding work.

yabighoor
May 14th, 2004, 04:36
Cheers Martin, I don't really know where i want to go as slong as it's in Japan i'll be fairly happy. I did say in my interview that i wasn't too bothered about going to a city as i wanted to learn the language, so i think they'll probably send me out to the arsehole of nowhere...maybe okinawa. Ah well the weather would be goo but the insects might freak me out a bit. Damn insects!! If you have time next weekend mail me and we can meet up. Good luck in the exams, if you're at postgrad level you can't go too wrong, what are you ddoing it in anyway?

Ciara

numbertwo
May 14th, 2004, 05:00
i am doing a one years masters in e-learning. Its interesting and everything but a bit too intensive as i am going to have to spend the summer working on my project and thesis.

I studied Japanese as part of my degree so I am going to be a CIR. They might let me do a bit of teaching though as i am very interested in education. I think its a very good idea for you to learn japanese as even knowing some katakana and basic kanji make life all the more easier.

Do you want to go out for a drink on sunday night or would the week after be better

yabighoor
May 17th, 2004, 03:38
Hey Martin, Sorry I havn't gotten backl to you sooner, i've been in Cork all weekend. I'm up for a drink if you are tonight ( I realise it's short notice) But if not we can go next week.

Wow if you're a CIR you must be good at Japanese, I'll just be an ALT myself. I have done a little bit of Japanese, but not much so I need to do a bit of swotting up, that 250 basic kanji book looks good. Once I get back to Edinburgh, I'll have to root out my old notes and revise.

That sucks that you have to do your thesis this summer, how long is it supposed to be. I've just finished my dissertation 11,000 plus (I made up a word count in the end as i couldn't condense it any more).

Anyway get back to me about that drink.

Ciara

numbertwo
May 17th, 2004, 18:07
Sorry about that, i missed your post. I was in the lab for a few hours yesterday but i left early. I will be able to go out next sunday evening though.

Yeah the summer will kind of suck having all that work to do. My thesis will be about 8-10 thousand words, that would be okay in itself however i have to do a 150 page website as well. I plan on getting the website done in 7 weeks but i dont know.

What exactly did you study in college? Have you already graduated.

yabighoor
May 17th, 2004, 23:27
I've just finished my Ba(hons) in Communication Studies in Edunburgh. It was a really interesting course but not exactly what would train you for a job. People keep asking me what I am now and I say i have an arts degree. They just look at me.

Your thesis should be fine, but web design scares me, did it in first year and almost failed the module only for the pervy classroom assitant!

numbertwo
May 18th, 2004, 01:07
Cool, i like your greek mythology quiz. I wish i had chosen a topic like that for my project, instead i chose an english language course taught through japanese. It requires japanese multi-byte text so its kinds time consuming translating everything, and my lectures hate me cos they cant understand why i didnt pick a simpler topic. but i guess it was good to do cos i am learning about how to use get japanese text into applications.

Is there any pub in particular you want to go drinking in. I spend most of my time in castletroy so i dont know the pubs in town very well.

yabighoor
May 18th, 2004, 06:22
Somewhere in town would be good for me as I live near Raheen. Not too sure about pubs though as I don't live here. Somewhere small would be good but might be hard to find in town. How about inside Nancy Blakes, you know in the front old man bit? I'll be wearing a red carnation on my lapel...only joking!! Seriously though how will i know it's you? I'm 22 and have shortish brown hair, fairly slim, about 5''6. I've got this really garish pink cord jacket that i'll keep on, is that ok?

My god your website is in Japanese...you hero!! I'm trying to get around the language barrier, so I ordered about £40 worth of books on Amazon last night...starting to panic now.

I'll pm you my home number if you can't make it closer to the time. Oh actually the time...8 ok for you?

See you then, Ciara

numbertwo
May 18th, 2004, 06:37
Dont know where nancy blakes is however i will find it more than likely. I am guessing you dont have a mobile but i have one and i will pm it later in case you cant find me in town. I an of average height build and have very short hair, like a number 2 so you cant miss me (although... this is limerick so there are a lot of people with skinned heads haaaaa)

Anyways i will be in contact towards the end on the week.

TTYL
MOB

numbertwo
May 22nd, 2004, 03:57
I got my placement today. Its Tokushima Prefecture. Dont know where exactly. If you are still up for a drink on Sunday night my mobile number is 087 7900 700, or mail me at 0320234@student.ul.ie

TTYL
MOB

numbertwo
May 22nd, 2004, 20:45
A letter was sent to my parents house yesterday. They didnt specify where exactly in the prefecture I would be, however the contracting organisation will be sending on an information pack at some stage.

yabighoor
May 22nd, 2004, 23:55
Well done martin! That's so jammy. I still havn't found out my placement but hopefully soon!! I'll see you on Sunday night at 8 have you found out where Nancy Blakes is yet? My mate Andy is going to come with me, so bring some of your mates along as well if you like!!

Hope the exams are going well...or have you finished them yet?

Anyway see you soon,
Ciara

numbertwo
May 23rd, 2004, 00:32
I will be head to nancy blakes around 8.

The study is not going so well as the security system has gone down on campus and i cant use my access card to get into the lab where my bag and all the stuff i need for the next exam are. 8O :( :evil:

Anyways i'll think of something

TTYL
MOB

yabighoor
May 23rd, 2004, 01:13
Shit!!! Good Luck with getting into UL. See you soon.

Ciara

adammoogle
May 23rd, 2004, 02:18
how the hell did this thread get 147 views when theres only 2 people posting??!?!?!?! 8O

yabighoor
May 24th, 2004, 01:45
Yeah Adam, you had to ruin it!! :D

Must be more Irish Jets (or they don't like the look of myself and Martins conversation)

thekid
June 10th, 2004, 08:32
There are more Irish JETs!!! and surprise i used to work in Limerick !!just around the corner from nancies!.At home at the moment in Clonmel ,tipp. I got placed in Shimane Kawamoto town to be exact.You guys still on this thread if so let me know?

yabighoor
June 10th, 2004, 17:20
Hey back in Scotland now-go to uni there. But I'm going to Iwate prefecture in the north of Honshuu and I think Martins going to Osaka (lucky thing). When did you work in Limerick? Whereabouts is your prefecture? I'm in group B so if you're in that group maybe i'll see you at Tokyo orientation.

yabighoor
June 10th, 2004, 22:01
Paul are you at Edinburgh orientation? Another lucky man going to Osaka. What does fu mean exactly?

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 23:08
Im not irish but all of my family is - from County Cork and County Wicklow. I used to go and spend summer there every year as a kid.

sorry thats no help is it?

Ill get my coat

James

yabighoor
June 10th, 2004, 23:22
wow a celtic cheeky monkey!!

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 23:25
Actually my father is Irish and if I wanted I could appl y for an Irish passport.

I was going to before I left as it might have been a good iddea to have 2!

I could be like the Saint - doo doo do doo dooooooo

James

yabighoor
June 10th, 2004, 23:43
I'm a double passporter too!! You'd want to get the irish passport soon as thy're having a referendum about 'foreigners' getting passports today i think...election day