View Full Version : Tax

June 10th, 2004, 21:33

Does anyone know / understand the tax situation with us doing JET. I'm from the UK. Do I pay any tax here? The guy at the Inland Revenue said 'no', but he didn't really seem to know what he was talking about! Or do we pay Japanese tax? Sorry to sound sooo confused!!

Can anyone help?

Lauren (aka Yorkie) :?

June 10th, 2004, 21:48
Right Iv heard so many different answers to this - apparently the general consensus id

For 1 year in Japan you pay english
For 2 Years you dont pay any
For 3 years you pay Japanese


I spoke with me father as he works in loads of different foreign countries and he reckons that as long as your not inside the UK for more than like 90 days in a whole tax year then you wont get taxed - at least thats the way it works in the UK.

But hey theres that much info on this on Big Daikon even Im confused

Another option is spend like you aint payin any tax, tell no officals where your goin - i.e. the tax man and just hope for the best.

Of course I can't recommend this as that would be inciting people to break the law so as with all of these things the decision is yours.

James :wink:

June 10th, 2004, 22:09
Yeah the chimp looks like he's never broken the law!!
James those trousers on your avatar are law breaking enough to dispel any notions that i may have had of your integrity on the truth telling stakes!!

June 10th, 2004, 22:19
I poopoo your suggestion that big pants are in some way related to dishonesty.

I have met many people with a large pant disposition and if anything they were more honest than those of a tight panted nature.

(Gotta love poopooing other peoples comments - now theres some british culture for you!)


June 11th, 2004, 00:36
Oh james you poopster! :P

June 11th, 2004, 01:18
Tax is confusing enough without adding new countries into the mix.

And it definately depends on which country you are coming from.

Australia and Japan have an agreement, call it a "tax exchange" if you will, basically we can choose where we would like to be taxed. I will be choosing Japan, as their tax rate is less. :)

My advice is, if you can, go see your accountant (if you have one) and get them to research it for you.

June 11th, 2004, 03:28
Canada and the UK

Info taken from 2004 general info guide...

Well since I'm a resident of Canada I have to pay Japanese tax for the fist two years, but our salary is upwardly adjusted to compensate for this. However when I send in my tax form to the Canadian government I will not be taxed in Canada since I'm with the JET programme. If I am out of the country for two years I can declare non-residency and I will not have to report my income to Canada.

Here is the UK policy.
Under domestic rules both Japan and the UK, may be able to charge income tax on your earnings, but income will only be taxed in one country. Liability for UK tax depends on your residency status for the given year. You will be a resident of the UK if you are in the counry for 183 days or more in the given tax year. There are no exceptions to this.

If you work abroad full-time, you are treated as a non-resident if you meet the following conditions.

-Your absence from the UK and your work abroad both last for at least a whole tax year.
-total less than 183 days in any one tax year, and
-average less than 91 days in a tax year (the average is taken over the period of abscence up to a maximum of four years; any days spent in the UK because of exceptional circumstances beyond your control...
If you meet the above conditions you are treated as a non-resident of the UK from the day after you leave to the day you return to the UK at the end of your work abroad.

for more info: www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/menus/officemenu.htm

Revenue inquiry +44-207-438-6429
Please check tak info before you leave the UK and preferably from the Inland Revenue ( ask for leaflit P85 and IR138)

The British Embassy in Japan cannot advise you on tax matters.

Hope it helps... :)

June 11th, 2004, 08:51
I read on Big Daikon that the CO will pay our tax (for Australians). Apparently we should NOT sign the tax exemption form in Tokyo.

June 11th, 2004, 18:27
Jay - were you referring to the JET General Information Handbook? It's a great resource! I'm sure you will be able to find the answers about tax in there, or at least know what questions you need to ask after reading it. I don't know about UK tax as I'm an American, but I do know some stuff about American taxes - which seem to be a lot easier than other countries'!

June 12th, 2004, 00:18
Yes, I was referring to to JET Handbook. I think that some people have still not received tje Handbook, so I figured I would post up some info to help those who have questions.

It is a great source of info, isn't it? :)

June 12th, 2004, 02:54
oooh.. ok....

go here.


and read all of it... especially the TAX bit!!!!!!