PDA

View Full Version : UK Luggage Allowance

yorkie
June 10th, 2004, 21:42
Anyone know what luggage allowance the UK JETS get?

Can we take a piece of hand luggage on to the plane, and a small lap-top carrier?

Thanks!!

Beq
June 11th, 2004, 15:55
I'm not positive about the UK airlines, but on the international flights I've travelled on it, it's generally overlooked if you have 2 peices of luggage as long as they don't weigh more than 7kg together. I had two bags and a painting on the way back from Bali, and that was ok.

Sinbad
June 11th, 2004, 19:23
Anybody know the deal on "sporting equipment" going on the plane.

Many airlines that I have travelled on will carry sporting equipment for free, so items such as skis/snowboards/golf clubs can all be taken in additon to your normal allowance.

I don't know the exact deal is for the JET flights... but I expect it will be the same. This means that you can stash lots of extra things into your sporting goods bag (or even take extra stuff under the guise of sporting goods, although BEWARE: somtimes they check).

Shotokai
June 11th, 2004, 21:27
I'm wondering about having a suit carrier and a backpack as carryone luggage, or perhaps I should find some way to cram it into my suitcase. however we need it for the tokyo orientation don't we? that and clothes for those days. It looks like I may need more hand luggage then I'm allowed.

Shoto

dobharrison
June 11th, 2004, 22:29
I've taken a suit carrier with me before in addition to my hand luggage. It was no problem as it fitted easily in the overhead compartment. Ended up a bit creased, though!

For carry-on, I will probably be taking 3 bags:

1. Rucksack with DVD player (when I buy it!), big camera, important documents, GBA, toiletries, etc. Actually, this may end up being a small wheeled case.
2. Small handbag-type bag (but very masculine, of course) for small camera, passport, tickets, etc.
3. Suit carrier with 2 suits squashed inside.

So rucksack and suit carrier in overhead locker, masculine, testosterone-coated handbag under seat in front - no problems!

I really must emphasise the unbelievably masculine nature of my handbag. It regularly beats up other handbags and passes out from consuming too much beer.

Shotokai
June 12th, 2004, 01:09
it's OK Dob I too have a MAN bag. I bought it for £7.00 froms H&M, Bargin and it is reall useful for carrying around things like wallet, phone keys glasses contact lenses, the arch of the convenent. etc

Beq
June 12th, 2004, 20:09
Just reading the handbook today, it states that you can take one piece of luggage and one carry on bag with you to the hotel, everything else will be sent on to your contracting organisation. How picky do you think they'll be? what if I tie my carry-on luggage together? Do you think that'l count? What if I shove one under my shirt and pretend I'm pregnant? Do you think they'll notice (note - gentlemen, unless you're Arnie and this is Junior, I don't advise trying this!) :lol:

RSG
June 16th, 2004, 01:58
I have been told that the airport is asked to turn a blind eye to JETs who have luggage over the allowance. i have been told this by someone who used to work for the Embassy and also someone who works at the airport.

hope that helps :)

Dynamis
June 18th, 2004, 00:53
i have heard / read on blogs of JETs bringing stuff way over the limit, expecting to be charged, and just being waved on. Its still a risk though.

RSG
June 18th, 2004, 02:03
Yeah, expect you're right. Has anyone found a good way of shipping things out yet? I haven't as yet

yorkie
June 29th, 2004, 21:13
Hi

The UK 20kg luggage thing - does anyone know if that 20kg can be split between 2 pieces of luggage (i.e a big suitcase which will go off to my city, and a small trolley-case, which I'll keep for Tokyo). As long as they don't weigh more than 20kg between them, I should be ok, shouldn't I?

p.s Has anypne from the UK heard anything yet about flight arrangements yet?

dobharrison
June 29th, 2004, 22:27
I think that's the case, Yorkie. As long as it's under the weight there shouldn't be a problem with that.

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that you can carry a laptop bag with you in addition to your main piece of hand luggage. Does anyone know if this is indeed the case? I don't want to pack it in my hand luggage, there'll already be 2 cameras in there!

Nienna
June 29th, 2004, 22:37
Hey,

20kg is the UK weight limit but there's no restrictions as to number of bags you can put on flight as far as I'm aware.

When we get to Tokyo we can take 1 large suitcase or rucksack to the hotel as well as one piece of carry-on (cabin) luggage and a laptop BUT ONLY if you can fit the carry-on and the lap top on your knee for transportation from airport to hotel. Plus we have to be able to carry ALL our own luggage.

Anything above the one large case, carry on , laptop stuff has to be sent (at our expense) to our prefecture directly from the airport.

Hope this helps but it's all in the handbook.

Good luck squeezing in all ya need!

Laura