PDA

View Full Version : insurance done!

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 22:12
I just blew 260 squids on my insurance for the year, so every penny I save now is for me and my omiyage!

So that means Iv got approximately 37 pounds so far 8O

Things can only get better!
I hope

James

yabighoor
June 10th, 2004, 22:22
what do you mean insurance. Doesn't Jet provide some sort of insurance? I mean we will be working for the government!! I read somewhere that some sort of med cover was offered, some girl broke her leg and had to pay about 60% of the med fee's rather than the whole hog.

O bugger more money!!!

professor_chimpenstein
June 10th, 2004, 22:36
JET give us some insurance - like if you break a leg or need some medication or somet but they dont cover your luggage / theft / mugging / money if you lose it etc.

You'll need to take out seperate travel insurance if you want this cover which is advised by JET.

Also Im epileptic so I had to take it out in case I have a fit out there (which is fairly rare for me as Iv only ever had 3 but you never know)

It is also good to have this cover if you plan on doing travelling to Thailand / or anywhere else (even home) as JET's insurance will not cover you outside of Japan

yorkie
June 11th, 2004, 00:00
Hiya James...Lauren again!

Who did you get your insurance with? Don't really know where to start!

professor_chimpenstein
June 11th, 2004, 00:05
I got mine with the Halifax but im workin for part of their group right now so i got a discount - other cheap ones include NFU and try your local post office - they might be able to point you in the right direction

James

Chiara
June 11th, 2004, 00:56
I get mine free with my Bank. Bonus!

JenrYOKO
June 11th, 2004, 18:22
On JET you'll be part of the national insurance policy. On top of that, you get a JET Accident Insurance policy for stuff like broken legs, car crashes, etc. The rate is WAY better than 60% -- my husband went to the doctor with a chest cold (had just returned from China after SARS came out - talk about panic!) and had all kinds of tests/meds prescribed and paid only 1400 yen. When I went I didn't get any tests and meds were like 800 yen. You might want to ask on BD because I know some people there have had extended hospital stays and would know what they had to pay out.

I could be wrong, but I DO believe my BOE told me that we can make claims to the national policy if we're hurt overseas (so long as we're not visiting a wartorn country or something). Anyway, temporary traveler's insurance should do the trick if you're going away for the NY break or something. The only reason I could see to get a year-long plan would be if you plan to travel outside of Japan every month or 2!

yabighoor
June 11th, 2004, 19:33
I get mine free with my Bank. Bonus!

What bank are you with?