PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not heard from their contracting organization yet?

puppyguitar
June 11th, 2004, 04:40
So far I know I'm a prefectural ALT somewhere in Hyogo-ken. Normally I wouldn't be too nervous about the lack of communication from my contracting organization, but I'm in a sticky situation that might cause some problems:

I originally applied to JET with my girlfriend, requesting that we be placed in the same apartment. Now something's come up and she can no longer accept the placement, so I'm worried about having to pay double for my apartment or, worse, being assigned a roommate.

I'd really like to get in touch with my contracting organization soon, so I was just wondering if most people have heard from theirs already or have any idea when I might hear from mine. I've talked to the JET NY office and they don't seem to know any more than I do.

Kevin
June 11th, 2004, 05:11
Puppy,

I haven't heard from my BOE yet either. I know I'm teaching in a high school in Tottori prefecure, but the SF consulate told me that they have nothing to do with the communication between contracting organization and you. Unfortunately, we just have to wait to hear from Japan directly. It sucks, I know. Hopefully we'll hear sometime this week.

Logan5
June 11th, 2004, 05:28
I'm an L.A. Jet headed for Shimane and I got my packet of info earlier this week - so hang inthere - it's most likely on its way.

Packet had all kinds of great info, including a letter from my supoervisor and my pred, email contact info, my new home address and phone number and pictures of some of my co-workers and my apartment.

Other than having to pay some key money for a pretty well stocked apartment I'm getting a pretty sweet place at very reasonable rent, and I'm pretty happy.

IowaJET
June 11th, 2004, 07:23
As far as I understood jets always get an apartment to themselves. I've never heard of one having a roommate.

Jay
June 11th, 2004, 07:53
All I know is that I'm in Aomori city. I'm also waiting anxiously for more information.

Nikbot
June 11th, 2004, 08:48
I know I'm a municipal ALT in Osaka-shi. Other than that, I know nothing.

Kanadajin
June 11th, 2004, 10:02
Logan5, great SHIMANE ken flag there! I almost chose it for my avatar but then went for the kanji instead.

Don't worry about your housing to the fellow who started the post. Contracting organizations treat JET's as individuals as a whole, it's when you want to be treated as a couple that there are problems. So if she has declined the position, then they will be trying to fill it with a new applicant that is waiting. Unless your predecessors are a couple that has the same apartment, then chances are the two positions that you had applied for are two separate apartments and you would have had to request to move intogether once you arrived (or just rent out both apartments and live in one which I did for a year!) Don't worry contracting orgs on the whole aren't to swift with responding to ALT's questions and requests as far as apartment and stuff goes....it usually gets decided rather late!! for instance my replacement won't have her new apartment available until the day she gets here, so her luggage has to be sent to the school, and she goes to my old shite bag place and pick out the furniture she wants to move to the new place and that's it!

But I dont know if it's a he or a she yet because.....

THE MAIN POINT OF MY POST....

High school alt's are placed by the prefectural board of education. Currently in Shimane, we have I don't know about 12 new highschool alt's coming. However, 3 or 4 of them didn't confirm their participation status, so we are know waiting to fill 4 highschool positions with alternates. Thus my school is one of the schools which is waiting for alternate status to be confirmed.....thus I can't find outabout the person taking over for me.....

so if you haven't received information about your placement or school or heard from your predecessor, know that it may be because of prefectural boards of education scrambling alt's around in different positions and assigning alternates...... in general jr. high school boards of edcuation in our prefecture already know their alt's and are emailing....I'm so jealous!

so paperwork and red tape in boards of education take a while.....they won't let predecessors contact alt's by email until a certain date etc.....bunch of crapola but what can u do! I continue my search for my new JET at Masuda Senior Highschool in Shimane prefecture!!!

Hold tight and you will receive some notification!! kanadajin

puppyguitar
June 11th, 2004, 11:23
Thanks for the information, everyone. I suppose I can refrain from freaking out for another week or two.

Kanadajin, since I'm a prefectural ALT, does that mean I'll definitely be teaching in high schools rather than at the elementary or junior high level? I don't really have a preference, but it'd be nice to know that for certain, too.

I'm also kinda worried about having to pay key money, since at the moment I only have a few hundred dollars in the bank. Maybe I'll cancel that final U.S. road trip and get a second job... sigh.

Kanadajin
June 11th, 2004, 12:42
Prefectural Boards of education are responsible for highschool education in each prefecture. So if you are placed at a prefectural BOE, chances are you will be at 1 or 2 or 3 highschools in your area, with the possibility of visiting elementary schools depending on the connections the local community has with your high school.

In my case, I used to visit elementary schools, but due to some paperwork battle between my highschool and the local city board of education who has 4 Junior high alts....they figured it was easier just to use the 4 city alt's than run paperwork through 2 places, so my position doesn't do elem. visits any more.....but I do visit the local prefectural special needs school once a month, providing me with a refreshing break from my base highschool (I only go to one school).

But when you arrive in tokyo, the first big group hall address where you sit down with alt's from shimane in a group, there will be a shimane prefectural representative, either a prefectural advisor, Marcie or 'Ashley, or a volunteer second or third year alt, maybe Trevor or someone like that....who will have a sheet with information (brief info) for each alt from shimane about whether you are elementary, jhs, highschool, if you have a visit school, if you teach evening english to adults and that's about it.....it is s asurvey that your contracting organization filled out when they applied for you back in february.....so you find out a little late and it is the bare bones of what you'll be doing, and it MAY have even changed since they filled out the survey......but such is how things work over here!

hopefully they send or have sent you a package with contact email for either your supervisor or your predecessor and you can ask them. If not, it is be ready for anything.....after all.....being flexible is a great thing you learn as a JET!!!!!! sure know I did!

Key money,....... if there is exorbitant fees in connection with your apartment, explain it to your supervisor, they don't expect everyone coming over to be millionaires.....my board of education provided me with a paycheque up front so I could take care of costs like that when I first came. Just talk with your supervisor when you get there.....don't worry...if you have to pay someone money they'll understand and figure stuff out!

take care and good luck! kanadajin

maya
June 11th, 2004, 12:44
Hi Poppyguitar
I am in the same situation as you are a prefectural ALT assigned to Hyogo-ken. The waiting is killing me too... however unfortuantely I have heard that hyogo is one of the slowest prefectures to let their alts know where they are going because they take in so many alts. So i am expecting a long wait a head... When you find out where you are going drop me a msg and I can get excited about hearing from the prefecture as well.
:roll:

Mere
June 11th, 2004, 13:27
Puppyguitar,

I'm still waiting. You actually know more about your placement than I do! I only know that I'm going to Gifu-ken. But I'm content in knowing that I'll be taken care of (apartment & job wise) once I arrive.

I was told we should receive our info packets by mid-June. So any day now my mailbox should bear great news... :D

Happy waiting!

~Mere

puppyguitar
June 12th, 2004, 02:30
Well, maybe the Hyogo-ken people read this board, because I checked my email this morning and, lo and behold, I found a message from a person on the Hyogo-ken Board of Education asking for more information about my situation. I still don't know where I'm going (he said I'd be informed of my host school at the end of the month), but at least it seems like they'll be able to work my housing situation out.

After reading Paul's post, I wrote to him and tried to emphasize how much I did NOT want a roommate. I hope I didn't come off as too demanding...

kiwi_mudpuppy
June 12th, 2004, 11:29
I received a consulate letter in early June stating that I'll be in Gifu city, Gifu prefecture, and that's all its said. Still don’t know what schools I’ll be working at, where I’ll be living, if I’m a prefecturual or municipal jet, key money, or any of that Jazz. So, I guess Gifu-ken is kinda slower than some of the other prefectures…………. But every prefecture is different.

Lucy
June 13th, 2004, 00:20
Still waiting too!
All I know is I'll be somewhere in Nagano-ken. So for all I know I could be stuck up some mountain in a hut, but hopefully they'll get around to contacting me next week!
Anyone else in Nagano, by the way? :)

morikyd
June 13th, 2004, 16:42
I am Lucy! I think it seems like a great place. Very central.
I'll see you in Tokyo!

yabighoor
June 14th, 2004, 20:40
It's driving me nuts. I've received a contract which has been faxed back to the BOE but I still don't know the town i'll be based in never mind the scholl!! Come on Iwate prefectural BOE!!!

Cornelius
June 14th, 2004, 23:14
It's driving me nuts. I've received a contract which has been faxed back to the BOE but I still don't know the town i'll be based in never mind the scholl!! Come on Iwate prefectural BOE!!!

Same boat as me then.

I faxed off that contract as well, and am now twiddling my thumbs in the vague hope that by doing so I somehow speed up time, and therefore find out my exact placement all that sooner.

Fyrey
June 14th, 2004, 23:21
I haven't heard anything whatsoever. I know the town, but thats it. Should I be worried? Should I be doing something?

r_a_y
June 15th, 2004, 01:00
I finally heard from my BoE today, which is cool. Not that i got much info or anything, mainly just lots of brochures about the area, all in japanese of course :\

But, i'm happy anyway.

:D

Mac_North
June 15th, 2004, 11:23
Still waiting as well.

Shizuoka-ken is all I know. My brother tells me the Denver Consulate General finally sent the first bits of information, but they included a letter explaining that my contracting organization will contact me separately. As they do.

There is a delay in my news, however. I'm in New Zealand, and my brother's playing correspondent for me in Colorado. Perhaps the other package has arrived and he hasn't gotten around to emailing me (or checking the mail box - those 250m can be the toughest, espcecially over all that flat asphalt).

Mere
June 16th, 2004, 10:37
Well, I recieved my JET info packet from the S.F. conulate today. At least I know what airline we're taking (JAL, at least that's waht it says on our visa application)!

Hopefully my contract should arrive any day now...

~Mere

othius
June 16th, 2004, 21:54
Like Mac_North, my wife and I are still waiting on placements.... Shizuoka-ken is all we know right now. The thing is we're moving at the end of June but don't have an exact forwarding address yet.... except maybe our license plate. Still trying to find out how to get the address change to the prefecture quickly. I hope we all hear soon!

professor_chimpenstein
June 17th, 2004, 00:18
I tried to fax my statement of agreement but it wouldn't go, so i tried to scan and email it but the security on their pcs blocked it.

So now Iv sent it by snail mail.

Why do I have this feeling it aint gonna make it.

Things are never easy are they

:( James

Cornelius
June 17th, 2004, 02:45
It's probably up to the BoE in your area as to what needs to be done. There was a slip of paper with mine (Iwate), that said I needed to fax it.

If you are panicky, you might just contact them to make sure everything is okay.

C.

kiwi_mudpuppy
June 17th, 2004, 11:32
Finally got an email from my B.O.E today........ I'll be working at about 4 schools, everything else looks good as well.

yabighoor
June 17th, 2004, 18:00
jammy

phill
June 17th, 2004, 23:53
I have heard nothing from my BOE...
although I hear they give me a bike...
:lol:
um yea...

yabighoor
June 18th, 2004, 19:26
No contact as yet from my BOE but did hear from my pred a very happy 3yearer!!

Mere
June 18th, 2004, 19:28
At least you'll have a way to get from your humble matchbox to your school site (efficiency is an altogether different topic)! :wink:

43 days and counting- 42 if you don't include the actual date of departure. At least there's no bogus holiday this weekend to hinder the mail service...

~Mere

Mere
June 20th, 2004, 16:06
I've finally heard from my CO via e-mail. Yeah! Now I'm just waiting for my contract and such via snail mail (USPS). But I have plenty to keep myself busy... visa application due next week, cleaning out my apartment, making a pile of things to take to Japan (and reduce it daily!), study nihongo...

I hope everyone else on this thread is tarting to get bits and pieces of info!

~Mere

Nikbot
June 21st, 2004, 15:22
I haven't heard from the BOE as such, but I did just get an email from the JET liaisons in Osaka-shi. Still no contract or anything, but at least I've got some useful info.

Cory
June 30th, 2004, 06:28
Well, I have not heard anything whatsoever on placement (not pref, nor city). I did, however, receive my JET Handbook and visa forms yesterday 6/28. I am flying out of Detroit (Group B).

I plan to call the consulate if no word arrives by the end of this week. Although I have read on BD that some previous JETs did not hear about their placement until a mere two weeks before departure...

:?: -Cory

edit for grammar* (go English go!)

KellyEye
June 30th, 2004, 14:32
I just found out this morning (6/29) that I will be working in Sendai-shi. Now I will resume waiting for contact from my C.O. Oh I love waiting! Almost more than eating my own arm!

yabighoor
July 1st, 2004, 00:54
i havn't actually heard anything from my contracting organistaion but have heard from my pred. Although she could be a crazy lady who's found out that im loking for a place to stay in Japan.

IT COULD ALL BE A SHAM!!!!!!! :oops:

andy_r
July 4th, 2004, 19:12
I was promoted from alternate a few weeks ago and I still haven't heard from my pred or contracting organisation. The London embassy keeps telling me it will be another couple of weeks - but I's supposed to be leaving at the end of the month! I'm trying not to worry about it too much.

Anybody else in a similar position?

Eejit
July 4th, 2004, 19:19
I also have not heard from my contracting org yet. Arse.

phill
July 5th, 2004, 22:38
still haven't heard from my contracting org...
pooper

nicklad
July 6th, 2004, 04:14
I am also still waiting for contact from my board of education.
Just know I am away to Shizuoka-ken.
The waiting is bollocks but what pisses on my new shoes more is that if we receive anything from JET we have to reply quicker than the Flash with an arse full of dynamite.

Mac_North
July 7th, 2004, 06:40
how true this is. I've heard from my pred, but the org's still pulling up its trousers. My visa app is due in two days and I have yet to receive my welcome letter which has critical text for it.

FulhamFC
July 14th, 2004, 17:54
Throw my name into the MIA hat as well... All I've heard as of today (July 14) is that I'm supposed to go to Japan sometime in August. The purpose and location for this alleged trip still remain a mystery however, although I'm holding out hope for Hokkaido mime.

Shinikenshi
July 18th, 2004, 10:23
Haven't heard anything either, though I was a recently upgraded JET. I'm just a bit worried since the departure date for Group A (and B?) is what, about 10 days away or so?

Crossing my fingers for Nara (2nd choice) though at this point in time, either of my choices (Kagawa and Okayama) would be nice.

Chris

MrSnrub
July 18th, 2004, 16:51
Here in Auckland we were supposed to be putting our visa applications in on the 16th with a copy of a letter from our contracting organisation. Nothing had arrived by the 15th so I contacted the consulate who were a bit disconcerted.

Some contact with Tokyo by the consulate and suddenly an email arrived from my BOE to say something was on it's way. Maybe some polite inquiries could get some movement in other cases ???

Shinikenshi
July 22nd, 2004, 00:14
*bump*

Anyone else get recently upgraded but haven't heard from their BOE/contracting org/etc. yet?

Seems so quiet on this thread...must be just me. 3 more days... :(

Chris

Cory
July 22nd, 2004, 12:36
The word from my consulate (Detroit) is that I will most likely be discovering my placement once I arrive in Tokyo o_O... Though it was mentioned that there is a slim chance that we could receive word by the end of this week (a wee bit late for the Group A crew).

phill
July 22nd, 2004, 17:21
I got my contract in the mail 2 weeks ago...then last week, an email from my super visor that said they maild me the contract and to email them back if i had any questions. finaly 5 days ago from my pred who was really helpful... as much as it sucked this year has been more exciting with all the waiting and stuff... i had something to look in the mail for instead of bills or stuff i ordered on line and forgot about...

Cory
July 24th, 2004, 16:23
The mystery of my placement moved toward a conclusion yesterday... reposted from BD:

As of Friday afternoon (7/23) I was packed and psyched to depart with the Group B JETs out of Detroit on 7/31. Although given the thumbs up in early May, my final destination in Japan remained unknown (I was told I would probably find out in Tokyo, along with a few others who had not yet heard anything from a contracting organization). On Friday, I received a call from Detroit that offered an interesting twist to my situation: apparently my paperwork had been confused/switched with someone else's papers... and this other person had decided to withdraw from the program. Therefore it was determined that *I* had withdrawn. (It seems that my inquiries to the Consulate and paranoia that I had gotten lost in the shuffle had a reality base.. heh)

Well this error was quickly remedied thanks to the good people in Detroit; however, in light of my status change, I am now departing with Group C on 8/18. Pros and cons to the smaller group and later date I know, but I'm still reeling from the fact that I need to re-do my good-byes.

On the bright side, I found out that I'm off to Toyama-ken. From what I've read, it seems like a wonderful place :)
I have no other information other than that I will be reporting to the BOE--which I assume hints that I'll be a prefectural JET..?

I know it is a bit late in the game to attempt contact with my pred, but I'm going to give it a shot anyhow. My info:

male; age 23 out of Minnesota
biology major; initials CJC
(flying out via the Detroit Consulate)

Thanks for listening :)

Jay
July 24th, 2004, 22:10
I'm glad that you are still able to go, but nevertheless, it still must be a disappointment to discover that you have to wait another month or so.

Well, at least you are still coming.

Good luck! :)
Gambatte

Cory
July 29th, 2004, 06:04
Thanks Jay :) Three weeks from today I'll be on my way to join all of you. I was a bit bummed the first couple of days after the news, but am now psyched all over again!

Bring on the adventure 8)

Shinikenshi
August 2nd, 2004, 17:56
Woo just got the word that I will be in Okayama-shi, Okayama-ken. At least I know a little more of what to expect. 8)

Chris

meowcarrot
August 3rd, 2004, 14:39
Yay! I have a friend who lives in Tottori and loves the area.

Certainly you've seen this, but just incase... Okayama Prefecture Web page (http://www.pref.okayama.jp/kikaku/kokusai/momo/e/)

Shinikenshi
August 4th, 2004, 07:53
MOMOTARO!!!!! :D

Yeah, Okayama sounds like a pretty good place from what the prefecture site tells me.

Chris