PDA

View Full Version : Dental Care and the Truth About Flouride

Mere
June 11th, 2004, 15:53
I know many people have posted about health care/insurance and things related to doctors. But since I have had quite a bit of dental work, I'm slightly more interested in dental services.

Talk to your dentist before you depart and see if you can get "stand-by" appointment to complete any dental work/ teeth cleaning check-up. Also ask for a copy of your dental records to take with you (just in case. God forbid Ineed any dental work done while in Japan!).

Regarding FLORIDE in toothpast (or the lack there of), we don't need it! Did you get that? We don't need the floride in toothpaste. I asked my denitst about general care for my teeth while overseas and she just said, "brush and floss. Floride treatments arent' necessary because the enemal on your teeth are already sealed. There's no benefit from using flouride." Now I know why my dentist stopped giving me those horrible styrofoam trays of banana flavored flouride... :o

Just some tips that I recieved this week. And some notes from current JETs (and my own visual experience), dental work/care is not valued as highly in Japan as it is in the U.S. and simple procedures such as teeth cleanings can take multiple visits...

Again, tHis is the info I've gathered this week from my dentist and current JETs. So I hope this helps relieve the concerns of others. :D

~Mere

~Mere

dobharrison
June 11th, 2004, 17:41
Both times I've been in Japan, I've always noticed a lot of people with bad teeth. My friend thought I was imagining it, but I don't think so.

morikyd
June 11th, 2004, 18:04
You were not imagining it.
Its like they're British or something...

:P

adammoogle
June 11th, 2004, 18:09
Brits have lovely teeth! see :D

there pearly white, straight and all natural!!! (no steel cage in my mouth for 3 years! :P )

the only reason we have bad teeth is cos they get smashed up down the pub (usually by the women...) or knocked out playing a real mans game like rugby or football...so there

professor_chimpenstein
June 11th, 2004, 18:27
Yeah we brits have good teeth - and at least they are our own - not some fake set that got hammered into our jaw by a Plastic Sturgeon

A fish dentist - now theres a thought :lol:

IowaJET
June 11th, 2004, 20:19
It is possible that flouride is very harmful...there's a new book out about it. "The Flouride Deception"

professor_chimpenstein
June 11th, 2004, 20:48
I could be wrong but i think alot of places in britain have it in the water source as well.

Could mean were all fooked!

Ah well not much that isn't bad for you any more.
Next they'll be tellin me tobacco doesn't make me better at sports!

James

Chiara
June 11th, 2004, 21:08
When I was at school we used to get given flouride tablets once a week. My mum wouldn't let me have them though as she'd done reading about it and decided that since I used fluoride toothpaste and there was quite a lot of it naturally in our water, I didn't need it.

I don't know if this means I'm safe or not! :S

Mere
June 12th, 2004, 03:34
I could be wrong but i think alot of places in britain have it in the water source as well.

James

I'm from the San Francisco area in California, and we also have flouride in our water. Now that you mention it, I remember when they started putting flouride inthe water and I think there was a bog who-rah-rah about kids teeth.

I guess one of my main points was to let people know that we're past the age that flouride will do us any good (should have listened to mom/mum when I was a kid... :( ) and that buying toothpaste sans-flouride in Japan should not pose a prbolem. Sure, we have our preferences, but it'll be one less thing to pack multiples of/ship over. Yeah!

~Mere

whyfiite
June 12th, 2004, 22:11
It is extremely important to floss in addition to brushing your teeth.
I asked a few dental hygenist and doctors when I use to be a dental assistant in Hawaii and the majority of the doctors will give you pros and cons and saying info is inconclusivie. I think in America 97% (don't quote me)of all the toothpaste have fluoride in them.
If you run out of toothpaste you can use baking soda with salt to brush your teeth or peroxide. We used to do it when we were young and poor. We had 10 in the family and toothpaste/tooth powder did not last forever. Peroxide is good for gargling and it also can whiten your teeth if you brush with it. It does have a bad taste-----------JUST DON"T SWALLOW!!
gargle and then spit out. Flossing is VERY important to get between parts of the teeth where food lodges. Sugar obviously is a very bad culprit for teeth-----especially soda and candy. If you can't brush after every meal gargle and spit out. If you run out of gargle/mouth wash then use a little peroxide mixed with water to deodorize your mouth. Eating parsley is good for a mouth freshener.
Also it is a good idea when your tooth bristles are doing the leg expansion--get another tooth brush. Don't brush your teeth too hard and also brush from the gums down to the biting end. Brushing back and forth will cause the gums to recede and teeth roots will be exposed eventually leading in the end to tooth removal!!!!! Imagine that red neck smile from down south and three of your front teeth (incisors) have fallen out.
Sorry for the long post

JenrYOKO
June 12th, 2004, 23:27
Finding flouride in toothpaste is more and more common in Japan - even in Japanese brands. If in doubt, Aquafresh is widely availabe here (I think it's an American brand).

And there are lots of Japanese with good teeth - and lots of dentists who do a good job. You just have to ask around and find out how the dentists' reputation is (apparently it's possible to basically buy your way through dental school here). I know a few JETs who got dental work done here on an emergency, and now they can't get enough because it's so much cheaper here than back home - they're getting everything fixed while they're here! Just ask around.

Signed, an American with naturally nice teeth :D