PDA

View Full Version : Cheese With That Whine?

cottamg
June 15th, 2004, 02:17
www.thejetfiles.com][/url]
Guess what?

ALTs are terrible whiners. Okay, not all of 'em, but damn if there's not more than enough of them to go around. They find a reason to complain...about...everything.

They get a ticket to Japan and a couple nights in Tokyo (in a ritzy hotel, i might add) paid for and they complain about having to sit in economy class on the way over.

"The ALTs before us got to sit in business class...why do we get stuck in economy?"

They're hired as a teacher but they want none of the responsibilites that come with being one.

"I have to make a WHOLE lesson plan by myself? You want ME to grade the tests? You mean I have to actually correct homework?"

They get paid a ridiculous amount of money for what they do, they get 20 vacation days, many get subsidized housing and still they complain.

"The bus never came so I took a taxi to school and it cost 2000 yen...what do you mean I don't get reimbursed for the taxi? I have to pay to live here? Man, they won't let me take 20 vacation days in a row...they say they actually need me at school."

If one ALT is getting a little more or less from their job than another, whether it's fewer restrictions, better teachers, a more understanding vice-principal, then once again you get complaints.

"Why can he do that and I can't? Why do I have to do this and he doesn't?"

I'm not sure where these people are coming from, with their ideas of a Utopian work environment. I just don't know.

I can tell you this though, there are too many ALTs that are here entirely for themselves. It's all about what they can get out of it, not what they can give. It's about partying, traveling and gettin' crazy on the weekends. Lots of ALTs don't even like their job, but they stay here because the money is good and outside of work, everything is great. This is the truth folks. I know because I've heard it all, and at times, I've lived it.

Just don't spread it around too much 'cause it might give us ALTs a bad name. And we definitely wouldn't want that.

Now would we?

Jay

**It should be noted that there are ALTs out there who simply aren't appreciated at their school even after numerous attempts to make their job seem worthwhile. And at the same time there are those out there who have become rockstars because of their extreme motivation and determination to bring something great to their school.

Kinda wierd to start a thread with a quote I know.. :)

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, and this sums up a lot of what I've been putting together in my head.

I really am looking forward to going to Japan, and I really want to give something back in return for all that they have / will do for me. I know I'll have my bad days, and I'm sure a lot of you will as well. I just want to make sure I don't turn into a whiner.

Anyway... just a random thought.. and enough feeling to make me want to start a topic.

Quote taken from:http://www.thejetfiles.com/blog/archives/2002_03.html

plus I recommend reading the entire blog from start to finish... it is interesting and very very positive.

Spread the love ppl.

Gareth

NSboarderchic
June 15th, 2004, 02:30
I understand your concern, but you have to realize that most blog's are there for people to vent their frustrations. I mean, if I took everything about JET from kindofcrap.com to heart, I certainly wouldn't be going.

Hannah
June 15th, 2004, 04:59
Hear hear Gareth! (How are you me ol' Kansai mate?!)

I guess if ALTs whine about so many trivial things it's a good sign... If having to travel economy class free of charge and being a little unapreciated as a teacher is what bothers them the most, it really can't be that bad! (Many JETs haven't worked in the real world before they leave for Japan. It takes a while for some folk to realise you are not shown much appreciation in most lines of work and you get very little for free!)

This quote does make ALTs sound like right little spoilt brats!

Everyone has a good winge from time to time, but you gotta try and make the most of every situation.

I hope I remember this when I get to Tokyo / Gojo! Everyone has permission to give me a nudge and remind me of this! :)

Hannah X

cottamg
June 15th, 2004, 11:40
I understand your concern, but you have to realize that most blog's are there for people to vent their frustrations. I mean, if I took everything about JET from kindofcrap.com to heart, I certainly wouldn't be going.

I'm not concerned! (well.... perhaps just a little :)) and I realise that people use blogs for many reasons, including to vent.

The reason I quoted this particular blog is that it takes a positive look at things, and is quite self reflective. I really like what has been said. The guy admits to whinging every now and then, but continues to be positive and open about his experiences.

Anyway, I just thought is was something to keep in mind, right from the start.

I hope I remember this when I get to Tokyo / Gojo! Everyone has permission to give me a nudge and remind me of this!

Don't worry... I'll nudge you as soon as I hear you start.. including if you whinge about the weather.... :)

Gareth

kellicopter
June 15th, 2004, 18:17
hey all
how is it going

hannah..i def. agree with you that alot of the time it is coz ppl have not worked in the real world and don't realise that most jobs have real shit sides to them..I speak from personal experience..when i went to Taiwan to teach i was straight out of uni and must admit at times became a terrible whine.I thought i should have the perfect job and often focused on what was wrong with my present job. i then moved back to SA expecting to have a great job and OOOOPS realised that all jobs have negative sides and all in all i had a great set up in taiwan..lol
so although i am sure there will be days i will NEED to whine about everything.. i think i will have a better perspective on things in Japan
but as you said :everyone feel free to remind me of this post when i start whining..hehe

cottomg..i LOVE your avatar(all of yours are good) but this one-the failed hold up- is making me roll on the floor laughing

kell

cottamg
June 16th, 2004, 00:12
cottamg..i LOVE your avatar(all of yours are good) but this one-the failed hold up- is making me roll on the floor laughing

kell

glad you approve kell. :) it's stuff like this that lets me keep my sanity. :)

always look on the bright side, etc.. stay positive.

I'm sure there will be times I need to vent.. and I will rely on you all for that.. I just don't want to get into a cycle of constant bitching. :) feel free to slap me if I start.

and don't worry.. I'll keep the avatars going.. ;) tempted to put Gir up again.. boy, that robot can dance. :)