PDA

View Full Version : still not preparing yet?

professor_chimpenstein
June 16th, 2004, 21:31
I still havent actually started to do anything in relation to leaving for Japan apart form the odd basic learning Japanese session.

Anyone else not done anything yet?

I can't help feeling theres loads I should be doing but cant think of what it might be-

any ideas?

What should I be doing?

JAmes

Dave
June 16th, 2004, 22:03
Don't worry Chimpy you're not alone....I have done NOTHING. I haven't even started to learn any Japanese yet, and as it stands at the moment I have ZERO pounds to take to Japan. Wahoo!

professor_chimpenstein
June 16th, 2004, 22:47
thanks Dave!

Your not just trying to make me feel better are you.

If not then there really is someone out there who is less organised than me!

Hoorah!

James

Dave
June 16th, 2004, 23:01
Alas, Chimpy, I speak the truth. :( :cry: 8O

yabighoor
June 17th, 2004, 00:22
I'm so plaesed that other people are in the same (unorganised) boat as me. Lethargy aah we don't like it but we cannae be arsed to do anything about it

HappyJadeBuddha
June 17th, 2004, 00:35
Sitting on my fat, hairy, pimpled ass and thinking about preparing is much more gratifying than actually preparing.

Where's my gallon of ice cream and the tv remote....

Rantai
June 17th, 2004, 01:13
I play a little of "Slime Forest Adventure" every day. I rescued the Princess! Wanchu!

http://lrnj.com/

koaleia
June 17th, 2004, 02:14
I just got upgraded yesterday, so... I was a little worried I was going to be behind in preparing~

It's good to hear I'm not alone with no money or anything prepped !!!

Dave
June 17th, 2004, 02:23
congratulations Koaleia! :D :) :D

funkybooty
June 17th, 2004, 03:08
Is researching the best love hotels considered preperation?

Seriously, it's kind of hard for me to focus on preperation when all I know is that I'll be somewhere in Hyogo-ken. I did set aside $1000 of my last paycheck, though. It's too bad i spent most of it last weekend getting my friends out of jail in inaka tennessee. :cry:

dobharrison
June 17th, 2004, 07:14
Well, for a month at the start of the year I spent every morning on the train to work learning Japanese. I was so proud, but it has kinda dropped off now to the point where I'm also doing no preparation.

I did buy a DVD player last week, though, which is preparation, isn't it?

Isn't it!?!

llumynia
June 17th, 2004, 12:01

mistress_pooky
June 17th, 2004, 14:20
I've been shopping, mostly for clothes and shoes. I also picked up some teaching supplies (stickers and the like) as well as trinkets for gifts. Nothing too major yet, though. Still have yet to buy luggage. 8O

IowaJET
June 17th, 2004, 14:41
I'm bringing a dependant too, but I haven't had any contact from anyone yet since my first e-mail...there is nothing that I can do but wait.

So, I've been shopping for clothes, but that's it. But thanks for the E-bag tip, I'll check that out.

morikyd
June 17th, 2004, 16:35
llumynia, I am an avid sci-fi/fantasy reader. I would love to arrange for trade with you! Thanks for the tip about sending stuff over!

cottamg
June 17th, 2004, 17:00
Is researching the best love hotels considered preperation?

Seriously, it's kind of hard for me to focus on preperation when all I know is that I'll be somewhere in Hyogo-ken. I did set aside $1000 of my last paycheck, though. It's too bad i spent most of it last weekend getting my friends out of jail in inaka tennessee. :cry:

damn.. you have a job where you get over $1000 in a paycheck.. wow...

I've done little, and I have no money... so yeah.. I'm feeling good now. :)

Beq
June 17th, 2004, 21:13
I've been shopping, mostly for clothes and shoes. I also picked up some teaching supplies (stickers and the like) as well as trinkets for gifts. Nothing too major yet, though. Still have yet to buy luggage. 8O

That's where I'm at, although I've stepped up the omiyage buying. And since I'll be the only eigo speaker in my town, am cramming as much Nihongo into my head as it will take. Which is just about: Osutoraria de nihon-go o benkyoo-shimashta ga, mada heta desu. I studied Japanese in Austraila, but I'm not any good at it.

sigh.

Chiara
June 17th, 2004, 21:25
I'm preparing for the long hard separation from an unlimited supply of shoes by buying as many pairs as I can before I go. Does that count?

phill
June 17th, 2004, 23:44
Heh, I have just been trying to learn this Japanese...I guess I need to save that estemated $2000 hahaha thats gonna be a pain.
what i really should start doing is getting supplies and stuff...
I dunno...
I'll start next week... :roll:

llumynia
June 18th, 2004, 00:05

morikyd
June 18th, 2004, 00:24
I am in the middle of Nagano, which is basically in the middle of Honshu.
Where are you guys?
I was thinking of sending myself some Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Tad Williams, Patricia Wrede, Lloyd Alexander and probably old Star Trek novels that I haven't read since junior high. (Quiet all you people laughing, they were good, really...)!
I am hoping to go to some garage sales and used book stores to stock up. Also, I want to grab some classics that I have been hoping to read forever...Lolita, Les Miserables, The Brothers Karamosov (spelled horribly), Pride and Prejudice, ect, ect. So, definately stay in touch and hopefully we can read away.

llumynia
June 18th, 2004, 00:38

Dynamis
June 18th, 2004, 00:49
Preparing? Thats something i'll be regretting not doing while im on the plane. I know this, but i still wont start.

..... maybe after orientation....

Matt

VinceXII
June 18th, 2004, 01:31
I keep telling myself: Study that Japanese! But, like Duffy, it's usually ice cream and TV. No, that's not true, I can't remember the last time I watched TV. I've been putting in lots of hours at work though. That's the only prepping I've done. Saving money.

The sad part is, even though I've saved close to my target amount, I know that I need to spend a metric shit ton on stuff before I leave. And by my calculations, that would leave me with...carry the one...metric shit.

Hannah
June 18th, 2004, 04:08
You guys wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I have to do in the next 40 days!

In January I had a kitchen fitted, (I bought it before I knew I was even applying for JET! Well, it all went wrong. To cut a long story short the fitter bodged it and the company went bust and it still isn't finished. (it stared on Brassed of Britain last month!) So I have to get that finished. Finding a kitchen fitter to finish off a botch job is not easy!)

After that is done, I have to find someone who wants to rent my flat! Then I have to pack up all my belongs and put them into storage. This includes a classroom full of stuff (6 years worth of teaching stuff I have made and collected!)

While all this is going on I have to write end of year reports on all the children in my class plus Design and Technology reports on 60 children as I teach technology to all the juniors! These have to be complete in the day before the London Orientation!

My school has just had an OFSTED inspection too add insult to injury but at least that is over and done with now!

I can't wait to get to Japan for a rest!

Hannah X

PS yes, I am crazy!

phill
June 18th, 2004, 04:36
wow...i thoughi had it bad...
good luck!

if u are in group A ill buy u a beer!

cheers

phill

Nikbot
June 18th, 2004, 17:05
Things to do:

- buy o-miyage
- pack winter clothes and other bulky crap to have my parents send by economy air
- terminate my mobile contract
- finish my masters
- learn Japanese
- nampa a J-girl in Australia :D
- find out about anything I'll need to buy/bring/not bring from my pred (when they reveal themselves)
- save money
- finalise the sale of my car
- get an international drivers' licence
- find out if my uni wants to sell me my old laptop on the cheap
- if so, get it fixed
- pack my stuff
- get to the airport on time!

Anything else?

Yesterday I was reading my "Japanese for JETs" book at the bus stop when this J-girl sat down next to me and started talking to her friend on her keitai (in Japanese). Apart from the odd "ne" and "da", the only word I picked was "wakaru". Anyway, she saw my book and asked if she could have a look at it. We got into a discussion about why I was studying Japanese. Her friend (another J-girl) turned up and they both agreed that Osaka-shi was a cool place to go, with good food and friendly people 8) . They were from inaka somewhere north of Tokyo.

Thus ends my story with no real point.

professor_chimpenstein
June 18th, 2004, 18:52
As another Osaka Shi - er Im very glad to hear this!

although I think that the reality of how scary this is is finally starting to kick in,

breathe son breathe!

Its ok - im good

does anyone have a brown paper bag?

professor_chimpenstein
June 18th, 2004, 18:57
changed this post so at least it wouldnt be the same rubbish twice

but dont know what to put here now - how about errrrrr

Its friday! woo woo
Probably means I wont be postin again till Sunday at the earliest

So have a good weekend all!

1 month to go - aaaarrrrgghgghhghghghghghhhhhh!

:D
James

yabighoor
June 18th, 2004, 19:07
Not fair!!! the chimp is upping his post count by posting the same message twice...but maybe that's his preparation :wink:

professor_chimpenstein
June 18th, 2004, 20:57
Yeah sorry about that - only just noticed now.

But then if YaBighoor hadnt posted I would have deleted it.

Ah well to late now

;) James

Hannah
June 18th, 2004, 23:53
wow...i thoughi had it bad...
good luck!

if u are in group A ill buy u a beer!

cheers

phill

I'm group B, but I'll take you up on the beer in Japan!

Han X

PS May have found someone to rent my flat, so that will be one thing down, another 500000 to go!

starnia
June 19th, 2004, 01:37
There is plenty for me to do, and I actually want to get it done, but as of yet, my schedule has not permitted me to do anything related to Japan.

There are around 10 emails I desperately need to respond to from my contracting organization, but alas...I digress...

adammoogle
June 19th, 2004, 02:59
get international drivers license, check!

RSG
June 22nd, 2004, 00:46
Yeah, so know what you mean, there's like a million and one things to get done, plus loads of people to see before I leave..

I finish work on Wednesday though (woo hoo) so that will free up my time, can't wait...

39 days to go.... tick tock tick tock

socalDave
June 22nd, 2004, 13:09
I've always wanted to live in Japan (at least for a couple years) ever since I was a kid (many many reasons) and as of 1 year ago, I started preparing to get a position as a JET... In 2006. So 3+ years total preparation should be adequate I believe.
A tad nucking futs perhaps but, I'm going for this gung ho~

June 23rd, 2004, 04:29
not done jack. don't plan on doing jack until i get back to the states (which is maybe four days before we're supposed to fly to the big JPN)...

llumynia
July 2nd, 2004, 22:19

professor_chimpenstein
July 2nd, 2004, 23:36
oh oh I wrote a things to do list today

It had 16 bullet points

It has priority colours on it

It took me 2 hours to make

Why do I get the feeling that thats it until the night before departure

dobharrison
July 3rd, 2004, 00:23
Does buying PC games to last a year count as preparation?

Petesmp
July 3rd, 2004, 09:05
Does buying PC games to last a year count as preparation?

I bringing lots of games I never got around to playing for PC. Like 10! Also a few favorites. I hope I do and don't have time to play them.

unknown
July 4th, 2004, 23:05
It's quite hard to fit 1 year of your future life into 20kgs!

I've so many things to bring and I haven't even started yet! :roll:

phill
July 5th, 2004, 22:47
i have no idea on what to pack besides clothes...i am so lost...

Dynamis
July 5th, 2004, 23:26
Good grief Paul! I'm only sending one 20kg parcel, and most of that is taken up by my desktop computer!!

Fyrey
July 6th, 2004, 02:32
I've got 3 large boxes, one full of books (20kg), one full of books and clothes (20kg), and the other of other bits and pieces (omiyage, coins for class, more clothes) 15kg at present.

With all due respect (i.e none :P ) you are aware that we'll all be Assistant Language Teachers, rather than cultural/language/education depositories?

Ok, I *know* I'm going overboard on this

Nuff said. I guess you are aware.

AtomicYak
July 6th, 2004, 12:56
Is there a Japanese version of the M-Bag, so we can get our books back to the states?

Price to take books to Japan: $32
Price to bring them back: $450.