PDA

View Full Version : Kanto Preferences

richardp
May 10th, 2004, 00:08
Anybody else pick prefectures/Tokyo in Kanto as a preference? I chose Saitama as my third preference so I might well end up there especially considering how many ALTs Saitama takes on every year.

Dynamis
May 10th, 2004, 18:53
I chose Kanto region as my second preference. Since i didnt really have anywhere in particular i wanted to be if i couldnt get Kansai. I figured somewhere central would be nice. Also, being near, (but not in) Tokyo would be handy as well.

Matt

Alex
May 11th, 2004, 00:22
Likewise. I chose Kansai, then Kanto and then (and do not ask me why as I hate the cold) Hokkaido.

I have a strong feeling that I will get somewhere quite remote as they told me in the interview that I would be an ideal candidate for a rural placement. When they asked if I would like a rural placement I just dumbly nodded my head and said fine, not a problem at all (ANYTHING to get the job)... I have since heard stories of rural JETs commuting to work by boat 8O

WuTAN
May 11th, 2004, 04:02
yokohama and kawasaki are my first and second choices... i doubt that i'd get any though...

LukeS
May 13th, 2004, 22:46
When i was working as a chef in Japan, i spent 1 week a month in Saitama(at my gf's house) and the other 3 weeks i spent working(everyday 5am-11pm).

When it gets to my turn to apply for the JET Programme, I'm either going to pick 2 kansai places and 1 kanto or 2 Kanto and 1 Kansai. Now, to my point i found during the time i spent in Kanto that the best place to live by far is Saitama-shi(City) specially in the Urawa area or anywhere along the JR Keihin-Tohoku Negishi Line.

My reasons why i say this are:
*If you in Saitama-shi you would within an hour from central tokyo(shinjuku etc...) but still far enough away for some peace and quite.
*About 3-5min's walk from Kita-urawa station there is a supermarket which is like 3-5 floors high and has a huge range of wine,cheese and other western foods.
*At omiya station which is like 5-10min's north of Kita-urawa(and urawa in general) has a shinkansen line which can take you to Niigata and Nagano etc... and also from there you could do a day trip to nikko which is really close.
*If your school/office is close to the station you will find lots of nice cafes including starbucks and mister donuts.
*I also found that you can get a really good apartment which is much bigger and generally nicer than you would get from the same price in places like Tokyo,Yokohama and Kawasaki etc....

I have many more reasons why Saitama-shi is the best place to apply for but im feeling tired so ill leave it there.

JenrYOKO
May 17th, 2004, 13:07
Yokohama city is no longer hiring JETs (for the past 2 years). BUT, since Kawasaki and Yokohama are both in Kanagawa prefecture, you might get placed with us! We have (I think) 28 openings this year, and people should be finding out soon about them.

I don't know how it works in other prefectures, but if you're hired by a city (like Kawasaki or one of the smaller towns in Kanagawa) you will be a junior high school teacher. The prefectural JETs are senior high school teachers :)

WuTAN
May 18th, 2004, 15:41
thanks for the info jenrYOKO. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a placement around that area :)

felixthebrat
May 25th, 2004, 11:03
Hello! Is anyone going to Gunma Prefecture? Thanks!

Sean
May 27th, 2004, 01:34
Hey Felixthebrat
I'm going to be in Gunma. I'll be in Tomioka, a small city in the Southwestern part of the prefecture. Apparently it's pretty close to Tamasaki and Maebashi, and not too far from Tokyo. Where are you going to be in Gunma?

felixthebrat
May 27th, 2004, 05:50
Hi Sean. I will be in Maebashi City. I am in Group B. I haven't recieved my info or know anything about housing, just what city I will be in. Hey, are you part Japanese? I am part Japanese, but I don't know the language. I also did not request to be placed in a specific place. I know Besu requested to be placed in Maebashi, but was placed close-by. So, there's a few of us JETers around.