PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

Mike
June 17th, 2004, 15:07
For anybody who played sports in high school and is not going on the JET program as one of those sports assistants, do you think that you will be able to coach one of the school teams (Personally I would love to coach baseball)?

JayDubya
June 17th, 2004, 19:49
Hi Mike

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd really like to get involved with a football team (that's probably something called "soccer" to you).

It says in one of my letters that JETs are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activites, and i've heard that it is generally believed that all westerners are good at most sports, which is a plus.

I'm sure they'd welcome you at the baseball sessions, i've heard it's the favourite sport of many Japanese folks. Getting in with the football thing is definately one of the first questions i'm gonna have for my school, who i believe are gonna contact me in the next 2 weeks.

cottamg
June 17th, 2004, 20:41
Hi Mike

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd really like to get involved with a football team (that's probably something called "soccer" to you).

It says in one of my letters that JETs are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activites, and i've heard that it is generally believed that all westerners are good at most sports, which is a plus.

I'm sure they'd welcome you at the baseball sessions, i've heard it's the favourite sport of many Japanese folks. Getting in with the football thing is definately one of the first questions i'm gonna have for my school, who i believe are gonna contact me in the next 2 weeks.

hmmmm... I wonder if I can coach the swimming team.. hell... I wonder if my school even has a swimming team??? ;)

professor_chimpenstein
June 17th, 2004, 21:28
oh oh - I could teach table tennis

Unless they are better than me.

But i think they also have that strange scissor grip.

Ill have to see if they fancy learning the western grip

hmm im waffling as if your actually interested in this arn't I!

starting to wish you hadnt started reading this post now eh?

well ha! its too late!

James

stinky_hippie
June 17th, 2004, 22:22
In my interview they asked me if I would coach the basketball team. I would like to see the looks of these little kids faces when they see someone dunk the ball.

phill
June 17th, 2004, 23:57
I wanted to see if I could teach the kids American street foot ball
it would be awesome.

stinky_hippie
June 18th, 2004, 01:11
dodgeball would be cool, too. maybe I can get a copy of the new dodgeball movie and show them how serious it gets over here. they'll all aspire to be professional dodgeball players after I explain it's the true classic undredog story. I can see it now...professional dodgeball sprouting in Japan. It'll even be an olypoic sport before the craze is over.

VinceXII
June 18th, 2004, 01:25
In my interview, they asked if I played any sports. When I said that I had been playing baseball since I was able to hold a bat, they got all excited. They then asked if I would be willing to assistant coach a baseball team.

I hope that I can, that would be awesome.

-V

Greggar
June 18th, 2004, 02:02
I would love to have a shot at teaching American football to kids. I realize coaching is probably not an option, as there is no "teams" but still. Would be cool. I have heard that amoung Japanese Universities, american football is the fastest growing sport. Still very rare, but hey I can dream.

cottamg
June 18th, 2004, 03:00
I would love to have a shot at teaching American football to kids. I realize coaching is probably not an option, as there is no "teams" but still. Would be cool. I have heard that amoung Japanese Universities, american football is the fastest growing sport. Still very rare, but hey I can dream.

It is becoming more popular... hell there is even a manga about it. :)

"Eyeshield 21" toriyama's World are doing scanlations atm...

have a read..

and yeah... sport is very popular in japan, esp. if in manga / when they become popular they have manga drawn about them.. so yeah.. baseball, basketball, boxing... tennis... these are all very popular sports.. (esp. baseball)

Dave
June 22nd, 2004, 23:35
um....did you know that Preston has the biggest coach station in Europe?

dobharrison
June 22nd, 2004, 23:40
I didn't know that, Dave. Is that why it's so dark around the North West?

Dave
June 22nd, 2004, 23:42
No Dob, that's just the pox.

dobharrison
June 22nd, 2004, 23:45
Yeah, I try not to think about that too much.

You know, this is yet another thread we've hijacked. We rule! :D

Dave
June 22nd, 2004, 23:47
Yeah, I try not to think about that too much.

You know, this is yet another thread we've hijacked. We rule! :D

You know, I prefer "re-directed". But yes Dob, we do rule! :D

cottamg
June 23rd, 2004, 02:31
and that's how you get your damn posts so high!! bah!!

I wanna be a Ninja too!

JayDubya
June 23rd, 2004, 03:01
Oh dear me. Don't start the "I want to be Ninja too" thing again. It just ends up with dobharrison in tears.

Anyway... the true focus of the thread.

My pred reckons I can help out with the school football team. The teacher who runs it is pretty cool and apparently likes talking to JETs.

Nikbot
June 23rd, 2004, 03:46
What about rugby? Do Jap schools have rugger teams?

I'm more interested in playing than coaching, but I'll give anything a go. I've coached young 'uns in cricket before, but I doubt there are many cricket teams in Osaka.

Soma
June 23rd, 2004, 08:18
Similarly interested in both playing and coaching.... I guess for me the sports would be Rugby and Football(Association), but then again I would be pretty confident with anything other than baseball...... I think ill choose to go with Football to play, as I enjoy it more and it would be more challenging than playing rugby against the Japanese!

cottamg
June 23rd, 2004, 11:14
hahaha... hmmm.. I wonder if I could coach them in computer games? ;)

sezlinc
June 23rd, 2004, 13:40
Soma, we had a Japanese guy playing in the uni firsts three years ago who was sensational. He nailed anything that ran at him and was totally fearless. Best thing was he loved a beer and sang the team song with unmatched enthusiasm!

I hope to be able to help coach and or run around with a social rugby team. If anyone knows any teams in Kanagawa I'd love to hear from them.

Nikbot
June 23rd, 2004, 14:07
Sezlinc, some dude on Big Daikon was telling me that there are heaps of rugby clubs in Japan and that the standard wasn't too intimidating because the talent is spread so thinly. I hope he's right, because while I love the game I'm not very good.

Fortunately I'm a fullback by trade, so I can just blame the rest of the team if I'm placed in a position to mess up :D

Avi
June 30th, 2004, 07:39
I am also very interested in coaching baseball and or basketball and assuming that I am not streched between too many schools I think it will be possible to be involved. Although if I end up at a highschool with a good baseball team the coach may not want any Americanization as Japanese baseball is taught in its own style and is taken so seriously that they have highschool baseball videogames. If anyone gets anything worked out in terms of participating in sports of any kind in school please post!

steelqueen
June 30th, 2004, 10:30
Hmm, maybe I should take up Lacrosse just to coach my national sport overseas.

I'm always shocked that it's not hockey, but hockey as an actual sport is too young to have been chosen as our national sport. :?