PDA

View Full Version : ridiculous question, i know. spiders in japan?

shusuime
April 25th, 2007, 14:31
ok, so i'm pretty arachnophobic and i was just wondering how common are house spiders in japan, particularly big ones and jumping ones.... i know this is ridiculous, but i'm absolutely terrified of them and would like to have an idea of what i will be dealing with. i googled 'spiders of japan' and found some fairly horrifying images and info, and i'm wondering how true it is. i'm not too concerned with seeing them in the wild, but how often do you spot them in your apartments in different areas of japan?

okay sorry... again, i know....
thanks

mteacher80
April 25th, 2007, 14:39
search the site there are plenty of threads here about spiders, creepy crawlies, and other bugs in japan. and there are even links to pictures of all of them......and yes there are lots and lots of spiders here, but leave them alone or you will have lots and lots of insects too....

mark!

Omega037
April 25th, 2007, 14:39
I will try not to scare you, but spiders are pretty common in Japan. They have these real nasty looking buggers that are around the size of my palm which even scare me(I am generally not afriad of spiders) However I have been told that most spiders aren't dangerous, just an annoyance. If you are in any kind of inaka, you will see plenty, but the big, bad ones mostly seem to be found around trees. However, there are plenty of spiders outside and around my apartment, but they aren't big, yellow, or scary. I actually kinda like them, since they help kill the other bugs. In general, spiders are our allies.

April 25th, 2007, 14:43
Spiders are quite common indoors. I haven't had many huge ones in my flat though - just a few, but then I was on the 4th floor - bit of a climb for them.

I did once have a resonably sized one (with its legs extended it would sit in the palm of your hand) land on me in the night. I must have been part sleeping / part awake, or something - because this is what I remember:

I kind of saw it come dangling down, then it landed on my face. When it touched my face I realised it was there, screamed, sat bolt upright and brushed it off. It promptly scuttled off. My wife kind of woke up, I told her what had happened, and she rolled over again. In the morning she just laughed at me, everyone I told the story to also laughed at me.

This was when I lived very inaka. Now I don't see as many, as I've moved to a less inaka town.

Ini
April 25th, 2007, 15:13
theres been 3 threads about this in the last 2 months, do we need another?

amagaeru
April 25th, 2007, 15:19
ok, so i'm pretty arachnophobic and i was just wondering how common are house spiders in japan, particularly big ones and jumping ones.... i know this is ridiculous, but i'm absolutely terrified of them and would like to have an idea of what i will be dealing with. i googled 'spiders of japan' and found some fairly horrifying images and info, and i'm wondering how true it is. i'm not too concerned with seeing them in the wild, but how often do you spot them in your apartments in different areas of japan?

okay sorry... again, i know....
thanks

ha! I saw that someone came to my blog after googling "dinner plate spider"... was that YOU!?

Baine
April 25th, 2007, 21:17
Like you, I really hate spiders. They're one of my biggest phobias. This past summer, I always left a few minutes early because I had to whack at the handlebars of my bike with the broom. They don't get the hint to build their webs elsewhere. I'm dreading the return of that. The winter has been so nice.

I also see some really big spiders that are colorful. Well, maybe not as big as some, but all stretched out and all, at least the size of my hand. *knock on wood* but I haven't seen one in the house yet. Only a jumper, which freaked me out b/c it was my first time seeing one. I've seen a few of those since in the schools.

My neighbor always laughs at me and says that the spiders are cute and our friends. I even had another ALT yell at me once b/c I said I took a can of Raid to the jumper. I wasn't about to catch him in a cup the way I do the others, though--he JUMPS!

I guess it all depends on your area and if it's spider-prone or not. I don't know what to tell you.

I hate spiders so much that I can't watch the scene in either of the Harry Potter movies and the last LOTR movie. (Yeah, I can't even handle the fakes. I'm pathetic. The only one I CAN handle is Tobey Maguire, and only the person--not the ickies in the beginning.)

April 26th, 2007, 09:14
I love spiders :smt007 I found a new one this morning, bigger than the jumping ones. You dont want a spider, send it my way

ShinobiScott
April 26th, 2007, 11:53
If you are in the countryside you'll encounter a lot of large spiders. I had a bunch outsie of my apartment window living in Gunma a few years ago while studying abroad. You'll know they are there by their huge webs.

Pandilex
April 26th, 2007, 12:34
OP is gonna get pwned when they read this thread.

Looks like another alternate is gonna get upgraded!

I saw a spider outside my apartment which was bigger than my full open hand.

mteacher80
April 26th, 2007, 12:39
i am currently watching a small spider (about the size of my pinky nail) navigate itself around the desk to my left. It is pretty cool to watch. It is a jumping spider and when it jumps man it is fast, i can not follow it till it lands.....

ok, it is gone i missed its last jump while i was typing.

mark!

nothing123
April 26th, 2007, 12:46
So many reasons to buy a BB gun.

amagaeru
April 26th, 2007, 13:05
one time I washed a spider down the drain and then had to call a plumber to come unplug it.

this morning after washing my face I blindly reached for the hand towel I keep near the sink. I didn't even realize I was drying my face with a spider until I opened my eyes.

I sometimes long for a cat to keep me company, but now that it's warm again I can just pull a spider onto my lap and stroke it when I get lonely.

the other day I was playing soccer with some of my students after school. we couldn't find a ball, though, so we just used a spider.

dai-chan
April 26th, 2007, 15:31
this morning after washing my face I blindly reached for the hand towel I keep near the sink. I didn't even realize I was drying my face with a spider until I opened my eyes.

That is the best mental image EVER. :lol:

Micronian
April 26th, 2007, 15:55
Has anyone tried to step on those large spiders, or kill them in some other way?

ff663
April 26th, 2007, 15:58
I imagine that if they were squashed, a lot of dark color ooze would burst out of them. :|

mecro13
April 26th, 2007, 16:45
We have lots of these harmless spiders around our house at the moment, but they are really big. In fact, they are scarier than the smaller red-back spiders that are much more dangerous.

Everywhere in the world has it's little creatures that can cause some damage, you've just gotta sleep with one eye open that's all! Or you can buy 5 cans of insect repellant and spray your entire house, but perhaps that's not the healthiest option.

mteacher80
April 26th, 2007, 16:53
at least we dont have camel spiders over here......google it, they are crazy scary!

piinku
April 27th, 2007, 13:41
I was expecting really big spiders when I came to Japan, and (thankfully) have been kind of surprised. (Knock on wood - I am going to find the biggest ass spider ever in my oatmeal or futon or something now) I guess it's because I'm in Tohoku and it's colder up here. In the summer I saw a lot of those black and bright yellow spiders with the long legs. I saw a few bigs ones (maybe 4 CM across from leg to leg, the body was quite small), but haven't seen any other kind of spiders. I don't like spiders myself, but find the black and yellow ones interesting and not that threatening since they make their webs in trees and fences and stuff, so they're easy to avoid. I lived in a basement apartment before coming here and definetly saw more spiders. Right now I live on the third floor of some very, very old teachers' apartments, and I haven't had any spiders yet.

Maybe it's just because I'm in Tohoku or something.I know, I know - I'll probably be assaulted by spiders because of this post. :smt022 And sarcastic comments. Just trying to offer the OP some reassurance...

Kinopio
April 27th, 2007, 22:38
Sorry piinku, I'm in Hokkaido and we have spiders all over the place. Huge ones that nearly cover our little hut in webs, and steal our grandmother's teeth in the middle of the night. ;_; They're already inside, and it snowed last night. You'd think they would wait until the cold was over... but no. *sigh*

shusuime
April 28th, 2007, 01:22
thank you for all of your replies. the "just learn to love them" answers are true, but it isn't as easy as it sounds. i'm doing my best to prepare myself, but i freak out when i see 1inch long house spiders here in wisconsin.. when you guys talk about these common 'jumping spiders' are those the same ones that are the size of your palm or hand? those big huge brown ones? and if not, are those big huge brown ones pretty common inside?
also, from you guys in the northern areas.. some say it seems a bit less spidery up there, is that right?

Kinopio
April 28th, 2007, 21:03
It doesn't seem any less spidery here than anything I could imagine... the ones that hang off my house in the summer have an ass the size of a walnut. O_O I don't know how to kill them.. stepping on them would be like stepping on a rat to kill it... blech! They don't get inside though thank god, just the smaller ones. But there are plenty of them. I guess I'm not *as* far north as you can possibly get, but I'm a little north of Sapporo. :o

dai-chan
April 29th, 2007, 02:20
at least we dont have camel spiders over here......google it, they are crazy scary!

according to the wikipedia entry they don't seem scary at all, they aren't poisonous, aren't very big, and don't bite humans....though they are a little weird looking.

May 7th, 2007, 12:33
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1264408,00.html

mteacher80
May 7th, 2007, 12:41

according to the wikipedia entry they don't seem scary at all, they aren't poisonous, aren't very big, and don't bite humans....though they are a little weird looking.

http://www.camelspiders.net/large-camel-spider-picture.htm

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/PebblePie/Blog%20Photos/CamelSpiderBite4.jpg

looks crazy scary to me......

shusuime
May 7th, 2007, 16:42
ewwwwwwwwwwww.

that's disgusting.

also, side note... austin, the former JET who answers all of our questions from the chicago consulate told me that all you have to do is kill the huntsman spider and then you won't deal with it any more. that's true, but how the hell do you kill a spider that makes a job out of being fast and flat so it can sneak away anywhere? also how do you kill a spider the size of a rat? does raid work? or do you have to be lucky enough to catch it with a blunt object?

BunnyHiphopper
May 8th, 2007, 01:29
Omg, not those camel spider rumours again. They are rather large and run ridiculously fast. But all those internet pictures about camel spider-related "injuries" are overexaggerated.

Botflies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> camel spiders. :twisted:

mukadehater
May 8th, 2007, 08:32
well, i'm glad camel "spiders" don't hand around japan. i'm not terribly worried over spiders...at least the big ones don't fit in your ears. :lol:

since i had a pet tarantula at age 4, i think i'll be okay. still don't like it when they sneak into my bed sheets though (mainly cause i roll over and kill them. no one likes cleaning dead spider off their legs.) if my username is any indication, i'm more concerned with mukade. :cry: (but that's another thread)

psychohistoric
May 8th, 2007, 16:11
Tooling around CNN this morning and caught this story,

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/spiderboy.ap/index.html

They're evolving, people. Soon, we will be nothing more than their ambulatory wombs.

The kid seemed to be taking it rather well, though. I would have been inconsolable for weeks.

May 9th, 2007, 11:23
Psycho, I posted that three posts up. Although article does have a pic of the happy boy. How is he happy?

psychohistoric
May 9th, 2007, 13:58
Psycho, I posted that three posts up. Although article does have a pic of the happy boy. How is he happy?

Oops, sorry about that. I should read the other links before posting. :oops:

Yeah, I'm not sure why he looks so thrilled either. Maybe he's jazzed because those spiders are no longer living in his ear. I know having the spiders removed from my ear would be the high point of my day. Of course, finding out I had spiders living in my ear would be the very lowest point of my day/life.

Gibbons
May 10th, 2007, 21:25
well, i'm glad camel "spiders" don't hand if my username is any indication, i'm more concerned with mukade. :cry: (but that's another thread)

I agree. I was pretty squeamish about spiders before I came to Japan but they don't bother me anymore. I live in inaka and have come to grips with them.

I will NEVER get used to mukade though - those things are spawns of Satan!

nothing123
May 11th, 2007, 06:10
I will NEVER get used to mukade though - those things are spawns of Satan!

Really though, how often do you even see the little bastards?

dombay
May 11th, 2007, 07:23
I've only ever seen one and that was in a castle forecourt in another prefecture.

Gopika
May 12th, 2007, 02:21
ahhhhhh i hate spiders too. I spent some time in australia and my roomates would take care of it for me, but i'm gonna be living solo so i guess i'll just have to sleep curled up on the opposite side of the room until i get some neighbours on my side.

shusuime
May 12th, 2007, 15:47
what does NSFW mean?

psychohistoric
May 12th, 2007, 15:59
what does NSFW mean?

Not Safe For Work

Marrissey
May 13th, 2007, 10:47
I spoke to my Japanese friend in Edinburgh about this and he laughed at me when I suggested dinner-plate sized spiders and then gestured with his fingers to a size about half that of a large house spider in the UK. When I was in Japan for 2 weeks I must say I didn't see a single spider either and that was in summer. He does live just outside Tokyo, but I still found it reassuring to hear...

Said that snakes were much more of a problem, which bothers me far less.

kiwimusume
May 13th, 2007, 11:06
Just wanted to mention that I live in an inaka prefecture in Kyushu and the worst I've ever seen is a mukade the size of my thumbnail. Inaka doesn't necessarily mean creepy crawlies for Africa. ESID and all that shit.

nothing123
May 13th, 2007, 13:45
Just wanted to mention that I live in an inaka prefecture in Kyushu and the worst I've ever seen is a mukade the size of my thumbnail. Inaka doesn't necessarily mean creepy crawlies for Africa. ESID and all that shit.

Either way, I'll still be arming myself with aerosol cans and lighters just in case.

shusuime
May 13th, 2007, 15:30
still, i ask, how do you kill a spider that is the size of your head? you can't just squish it.. it's too quick. do you spray it? do you catch it? what do you guys do??!?!

LaurenRox
May 13th, 2007, 15:39
I would go with FK's suggestion of aerosol + lighter ( = flamethrower)

nothing123
May 13th, 2007, 15:43
Tennis raquets work well

mteacher80
May 22nd, 2007, 12:41
but sometimes the spiders get the last laugh.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45ONDY9Wwk

May 22nd, 2007, 21:34
Hehe, this is a fun topic.

Spider horror story here. Remember in the movie Aliens when Ripley and Newt are trapped in the infirmary, and Hicks traps the facehugger with the trolley and his boot?

This is what I did with one of those palm-sized spiders in my storage shed. But instead of squirming and waiting to be shot to hell, it went splat. So splat in fact that yellow ichor when flying onto my face. I squealed like a girl. Nasty.

On the other hand, my sup told me that those spiders eat the big ol' flying cockroaches, so for now the other one living in my shed lives another day.

nothing123
May 23rd, 2007, 04:32
Dude, embrace the roaches. I'd much rather have some harmless roach crawling around my house than a spider the size of a dinner plate.

End of the day, start setting traps for anything that isn't human.

LaurenRox
May 23rd, 2007, 10:38
I discovered last weekend that when I am drunk, I am not afraid of spiders. Killing them, I mean. Not petting them or teaching them tricks.

So hopefully I can come home from many an enkai and turn into the Spider Samurai.

annchan
May 23rd, 2007, 11:06
Does anyone know a good way to trap spiders? The home centre in my area doesn't have anything for spiders, other than insecticide.

There must be some effective home-ec solution. :!:

I hate spiders! :twisted:

May 23rd, 2007, 11:25
I discovered last weekend that when I am drunk, I am not afraid of spiders. Killing them, I mean. Not petting them or teaching them tricks.

So hopefully I can come home from many an enkai and turn into the Spider Samurai.

I turn into the lean mean cockroach killing machine when im drunk!! Nothing can stop me! But when im sober, killing a cockroach seems like the most terrifying thing ever.

And, i just reported lauren by accident, i always think the report button is the quote button (yeah yeah, i do realise it says report on one and quote on the other) - sorry lauren, and mods.

az
May 23rd, 2007, 11:28
she's a mod she's a mod yeah yeah yeah!!!

nothing123
May 23rd, 2007, 11:57
she's a mod she's a mod yeah yeah yeah!!!

Heh, some quality kiwiana there, az.