PDA

View Full Version : Buying a PC in Japan

andy_r
April 26th, 2007, 13:40
My laptop has just died and I'm looking for a new one here in Japan. Any tips or recommendations for shops / websites / brands?

dobharrison
April 26th, 2007, 13:44
I've never used them myself, but Prime PC seems to get good comments:

http://www.primepc.jp/goods_pc/goods_pc.php

andy_r
April 26th, 2007, 13:57
I've heard bad things about them! Anthing else??

dobharrison
April 26th, 2007, 14:06
I've heard bad things about them! Anthing else??

You have? Like what?

andy_r
April 26th, 2007, 14:17
Like that they're not very good and I shouldn't use them - nothing specific. In any case, they seem to specialize in PCs for English users, which isn't really what I'm after - just a regular PC with a Japanese OS. It's hard to know where to start...

dobharrison
April 26th, 2007, 15:31
Like that they're not very good and I shouldn't use them - nothing specific. In any case, they seem to specialize in PCs for English users, which isn't really what I'm after - just a regular PC with a Japanese OS. It's hard to know where to start...

I'm sure I've seen threads where people say good things about them, but I could be wrong.

An electronics shop may be a good place to start...

Pandilex
April 26th, 2007, 19:22
Try dell, joshin or yamada denki. Dell offers laptops with english keyboards (but not english oses).

April 27th, 2007, 08:42
local pc warehouses in your area. ask your teachers. I found one about a 5mins walk from my apartment, and that day, they were having a sale on a new sony viao. got the thing for 6man cheaper than I've see it since.

Pandilex
April 27th, 2007, 09:57
advice: dont buy anything sony

dombay
April 27th, 2007, 11:04

+1

mteacher80
April 27th, 2007, 12:56
I have a SonyMD walkman, but other than that nothing sony, what is the problem with it? have there been bad reviews on their stuff? just wondering.

dombay
April 27th, 2007, 13:01
Anything i've ever owned that has been sony has died for no apparently reason shortly after the warranty expired. I base my dislike from them on my experience but im sure someone will jump up and defend them?

April 27th, 2007, 14:14

+2

I have a sony laptop and a sonyericsson phone. don't buy sony. from personal experience, they give you the run around with archaic and inane filetypes for things, and they conform to the japanese work ethic: look realy busy while doing fuckall

dobharrison
April 27th, 2007, 14:36
I have a sony laptop and a sonyericsson phone. don't buy sony. from personal experience, they give you the run around with archaic and inane filetypes for things, and they conform to the japanese work ethic: look realy busy while doing fuckall

Heh! Too bad their consoles have the games I want to play.

April 27th, 2007, 14:41
Heh! Too bad their consoles have the games I want to play.

gaming consoles don't count. they're a breed of their own entirely, so they have be saved from the taint of the usual sony workmanshit ... I mean, workmanship

negitorodon
April 27th, 2007, 15:41
I'm using a Japanese laptop at the moment. I got it from Sofmap in Akihabara. There are like 11 different Sofmap shops there. If you go to one you can get a map for all of the other ones. About 2 of the shops just have second hand laptops with no software on them - that means they're cheap.

I just got an IBM Thinkpad 240X for about 18,000 yen in 2004. Still using it.

In Japan I think people buy laptops, use them until they fill up the hard drive or get a virus or something then sell them. Just get a second hand one from Sofmap. It'll be in good condition, fairly new and cheap. Waste of money to buy a new one.

Pandilex
April 28th, 2007, 09:23
sony's not all bad, just computers. I have a sony mp3 player (although it broke and I had to get it repaired, I do treat my electronics quite badly) and a sony camera.

My phone has only been repaired once, quite a miracle considering I have dropped it a thousand times. The case is a bit cracked from when I was trying to spin it with my hand... you can see why I shouldn't be let near electronics.

Ini
April 28th, 2007, 09:42
Sony is the most evil company on the planet, they slaughter puppies for fun at the stockholder meetings. But like all things truely evil they are sexy and attract people with promises of kinky all night orgies. You buy a Sony with your cock and your heart, even though your head is telling you to go for their fat boring sister toshiba.

GIBBY
April 28th, 2007, 15:50
I'm looking for an adaptor to turn a two prong outlet into a three prong one so that I can plug my laptop in. Any suggestions???

psychohistoric
April 28th, 2007, 16:33
It really doesn't matter. Just go to the local hardware and buy a cheap adapter. They all do the same thing. Since there's no ground in Japanese wiring, you might want to plug everything into a surge protector.

Shotokai
April 30th, 2007, 16:50
my prime pc laptop died a year and a half in. don't waste your tme with them.

applejapan has a phone number u can ring and order a laptop in english and because u are a teacher get a discount! they'll even get the qwerty keyboard with no japanese on it is easy to navigate.

My mac is the best purchase i've made here.

nothing123
April 30th, 2007, 17:24
my prime pc laptop died a year and a half in. don't waste your tme with them.

applejapan has a phone number u can ring and order a laptop in english and because u are a teacher get a discount! they'll even get the qwerty keyboard with no japanese on it is easy to navigate.

My mac is the best purchase i've made here.

How much did it cost?

wicket
April 30th, 2007, 17:28
Go to the Apple website where prices are listed. My husband got a MacBookPro dual core (so he can use Windows or OX) for about $3000 Australian (after the education discount) Bought it at the Apple store in Shinsaibashi, Osaka with an English keyboard and he got the one with a faster CPU. He plays games and does 3D animation and has been very happy with it.
I have an iBook G4, which is more than enough for my needs. It cost me about $2400 Australian last year. No doubt prices for both are cheaper now.

nothing123
May 1st, 2007, 06:49
What's this education discount you speak of?

nothing123
May 1st, 2007, 07:29
That's quite cool. How do you go about organising that? Am I able to get the discount before I start working as a teacher by providing evidence that I'm going on JET? Do they do this sort of thing in NZ?

andy_r
May 1st, 2007, 09:44
Thanks for all the advice. I have now made a purchase. For those out there looking to buy a good, new computer in Japan, here's a tip:

Go to Yamada Denki, Bic Camera, Best Denki etc etc... and spot the ones you like. Write down the model numbers and then look for them on Yahoo Japan Shopping - I promise you will be able to find them for at least 25 percent cheaper than in the stores. If you're uncomfortable with this, then ask about a discount - if you find a cheap one is, say, Best Denki, show the price to the guy in Yamada Denki and he'll probably undercut it or throw in a freebie. Even so, you will be able to find it more cheaply online.

Obviously this doesn't apply to people who want English keyboards / OS.

One more question: when I take my shiny new laptop back to the UK, can I use a UK a/c adaptor with it?

Shotokai
May 2nd, 2007, 11:09
I thought it was 7% discount.

anyway, my alien registration card number was enough for them to prove i was a teacher!

Zee
May 2nd, 2007, 11:54
My educator discount with Apple came out to about 7% for my Macbook Pro. On top of that, I was able to get Aperture with a 50% discount and extended care plan with a 30% discount. The Apple website just accepted the school I inputted, though I don't know if they actually verified my employment.