PDA

View Full Version : The hair thread

dorovar
April 29th, 2007, 13:16
Okay, I have thick, curly (when it's a couple inches long) hair that grows EXTREMELY fast. For those who live in Japan...

1) What are chances of getting a decent haircut based on your own experiences (especially if you have thick, curly gaijin hair)?

2) (Also, for those with thick, curly gaijin hair) what are good brands of shampoo/conditioner?

I'm asking this since, when I was there last summer for 3 weeks, I used some kind of generic stuff and ended up looking like a caveman everyday. Plus, if I don't cut my hair, I end up looking like Carrot Top after 4 months and I have the pictures to prove it...lemme tell you, it ain't pretty!

The last thing I need is for my students to scream "daiaru daun za senta-!" in the middle of class.

heatherG
April 29th, 2007, 14:31
Woot! Curly heads! (did a search for this type of thread but did not find, hope we're not replicating). I feel your pain, man. We're gonna be in straight, straight hair land.

I've HEARD that haircuts are possible. My suspicion is that you may have to travel a bit for it.

As for product, I would bring a couple months' supply of your favorite conditioner and product until you can figure out what will work for you while you're in Japan. Some people go as far as to ship their favorite stuff from home (via the internet I believe, I remember from an ITIL thread discussing toiletries/cosmetics).

p.s. Did your interviewers actually INCLUDE your hair in an interview question? I was asked "What are you going to do about the fact that your hair makes you look like a freak in Japan?" (to paraphrase ;-) )

wicket
April 29th, 2007, 15:47
Lots of Japanese women perm their hair to get waves. Mine is very thick and a little wavy. I use Shiseido and it seems to be okay most of the time, but not as shiny as it was at home. Haven't had a haircut yet but need one desperately. There are 13 hairdressers just in my town - mmmm.... how to choose?
There are plenty of JETs who've been here 3 years who have thick hair that looks great, so they must be getting it cut somewhere. Don't worry.

chibitotoro
April 29th, 2007, 17:23
I have curly hair, and I got it cut at a salon downtown that my students recommended. It was a bit different, but not a disaster. If you're in a big city, just go to a salon that looks pretty upscale and you probably won't have problems. I use Dove shampoo and conditioner, and Gatsby product. Not 100% satisfied with the product, but it's good enough I suppose. The good thing about Gatsby's product is they sell all their varieties in tiny little containers as well as full-size ones, so you can try a few of the tiny ones until you hit one you like.

Nmuei
April 29th, 2007, 17:25
I'm so scared of this...

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/panic-button.jpg

Micronian
April 29th, 2007, 19:52
The only thing that ever freaks me out about travelling: what am I going to do with my hair.

That's the one good thing about staying in school: the fact that nobody judges if you keep your hair long and paint your nails like an 80's rock wannabe 8)

Saben
April 29th, 2007, 20:04
You are a gaijin. Nothing you can do will make you seem any more weird to the Japanese than they already consider you.

Repeat this to yourself.

It may or may not actually be true, but it does allow oneself to stop worrying about getting dressed up!

kurara
April 30th, 2007, 03:50
My hair is really thick and frizzes at any slight humidity (it loves California with our nice dry heat <3 ). I have a feeling I'll keep my hair in braids most of the time, just like I do when I visit Orange County. It's about the only hair style I can maintain when it's humid at all. -__-

LaurenRox
April 30th, 2007, 03:54
What I'm most concerned about is hair dye.

I was thinking of getting an...interesting color for the next few months, just for fun, and then dyeing it back to normal before I leave. And unless it's my natural color (ugly mouse brown*) I'm going to have to get it done several times in Japan. Maybe I'll have to use supermarket brands.

*Not to say that people can't have pretty brown hair. Mine just happens to be of the "ugly mouse" variety.

kurara
April 30th, 2007, 03:56
What I'm most concerned about is hair dye.

I was thinking of getting an...interesting color for the next few months, just for fun, and then dyeing it back to normal before I leave. And unless it's my natural color (ugly mouse brown*) I'm going to have to get it done several times in Japan. Maybe I'll have to use supermarket brands.

*Not to say that people can't have pretty brown hair. Mine just happens to be of the "ugly mouse" variety.\\

Oh yeah, I've been wanting to dye my hair red for the past few weeks, but red is a big comittment as it won't come out! I doubt I'd be okay trying to dye it in Japan, so I guess I"m just gonna keep it as is. But, with how much I'm in the sun now, it may just turn blonde before I go O_o

Zee
April 30th, 2007, 05:57
The last time I went to Japan, I chopped off pretty much all of my curly hair, which I still regret considering that it hit an awkward length that much faster. This time I'll ask around, hope for the best with whatever layering they do.

As for product, there's always the option of bringing a good amount of your own. If you use a salon sold product, speak with your hairdresser about ordering the same size bottles they use.

I've used Aveda for a while now, using the Brilliant line for shampoo and conditioner and then the Be Curly line for leave-in product. Aveda has affiliated salons throughout Japan, though I'm not sure if they carry all the same lines as here in the US.

nothing123
April 30th, 2007, 05:59
I have, or more accurately once had, curly hair.

It's hard to remember, seeing I've been shaving it off since I was 12 for that very reason.

Guys, get the clippers out.

Sciby
April 30th, 2007, 09:04
+1 for the headshave... but mine is shaved because I'm going bald. :cry:

I usually trim down with clippers, then go at it with the face razor, although sometimes I use a special pair of clippers I have called a "Baldfader", very sharp, and does a job very close to a razor.

And if you get the angle wrong, the tines dig into your skin and drag it back into the blades. It's fun!

http://www.shavershop.co.nz/graphics/wahl_baldfader.jpg

There was no reason for me to add the photo. I just like pichurs.

Konbu
April 30th, 2007, 10:21
I just got a haircut yesterday, which was long over due, because I tend to shay away from them as long as I can. My massively thick hair is even too much for most American stylists, and it can be a frustrating process guiding them through the laborious task of hacking and shearing. One of the other stylists actually jokingly said that I should be charged for my haircut by the pound. In all this I was also wondering "what the hell is it going to be like to get a haircut in Japan". Surely it will not be too much for the skill and precision of the famed Japanese engineering? And I would think that stylists over there might be a lot better then the states. I don't know I just always see Japanese people with the coolest haircuts. Am I wrong?

nothing123
April 30th, 2007, 10:59
Sciby, you should get yourself one of these bad boys

http://www.intelligence-creative.com/z530_headblade_2.jpg

Sciby
April 30th, 2007, 11:10
Yeah, I looked at them, but I dunno... they look very easy to get lazy with and use them too quickly, like trying to rub your head. I cut my head with a dodgy razor on friday night, so I'm already wary of newfangled ideas. My Sensor Excel (or Sensor Blue II disposables) does a pretty good job. I can do it all by feel now... something new would throw me off and tear my scalp to ribbons.

nothing123
April 30th, 2007, 11:24
I recommend them only because I hear they're so incredibly easy to use. I've never used one myself, seeing I've never actually shaved ALL my hair off.

I have, however, been using a Gillette Fusion razor on my face, and that thing's the tits. I can only imagine it'd be just as effective on your melon.

spoonsman
April 30th, 2007, 12:07
Just a quick dabble into the hair product of choice, I've been using Shisedo shampoo and conditioner for some time now (and yes, I still live in the States) and I have quite curly hair. I certainly like the results I get from it.

heatherG
April 30th, 2007, 13:11
I'vve used Aveda for a while now, using the Brilliant line for shampoo and conditioner and then the Be Curly line for leave-in product. Aveda has affiliated salons throughout Japan, though I'm not sure if they carry all the same lines as here in the US.

Yep, I used Aveda for years and then in December when I got my hair cut had some different products recommended by my stylist - in particular the John Mitchell conditioning mousse works like a dream ... that's a big brand, I bet Japanese stores carry it ...

Sciby
April 30th, 2007, 13:20
I have, however, been using a Gillette Fusion razor on my face, and that thing's the tits. I can only imagine it'd be just as effective on your melon.

You use tits to shave your face??! Dude, that's inspired!

GIBBY
April 30th, 2007, 14:23

I agree with Sciby.... Tits are obviously more useful than I thought. Here I thought they were just for decoration and squeezing.

nothing123
April 30th, 2007, 15:15

You use tits to shave your face??! Dude, that's inspired!

Just chuck a razor in between and do the motor boat.

Sciby
April 30th, 2007, 15:23
Do you have a medic standing by? The mental image is cringe-worthy, with the cutting and the slashing and the role-reversal of boobs bringing pain. :(

nothing123
April 30th, 2007, 15:33
Do you have a medic standing by? The mental image is cringe-worthy, with the cutting and the slashing and the role-reversal of boobs bringing pain. :(

I'm surprisingly accurate.

Zee
May 1st, 2007, 12:57
Just a quick dabble into the hair product of choice, I've been using Shisedo shampoo and conditioner for some time now (and yes, I still live in the States) and I have quite curly hair. I certainly like the results I get from it.

Now you've got me all curious. Where do you find it and is there a particular type, or does Shisseido only make one kind of shampoo and conditioner?

May 1st, 2007, 13:08
I have wavy hair. some salon left a 20% off in my post box, so I went there, and asked them to straighten my hair. Much easier. cost me about 10 000 yen, and it will last till my hair grows it out (ie: a few months). If you head into a nice looking salon, odds are they'll have tons of magazines with hundreds of different styles (including permed styles, which looks the same as naturally curly half the time), so just pick one, point to that and say "onegashimasu".

On the shampoo side, I use Shiseido's Tsubaki, which is much better than anything I ever used back home, and since I've had my hair straightened, I haven't needed any styling aid at all.

kurara
May 1st, 2007, 13:11
I have wavy hair. some salon left a 20% off in my post box, so I went there, and asked them to straighten my hair. Much easier. cost me about 10 000 yen, and it will last till my hair grows it out (ie: a few months). If you head into a nice looking salon, odds are they'll have tons of magazines with hundreds of different styles (including permed styles, which looks the same as naturally curly half the time), so just pick one, point to that and say "onegashimasu".

On the shampoo side, I use Shiseido's Tsubaki, which is much better than anything I ever used back home, and since I've had my hair straightened, I haven't needed any styling aid at all.

Really? I've heard so many bad things about straightening your hair that I'm afraid to try ;-; I'd really like to straighten it if it'd work though!

May 1st, 2007, 13:23
As long as your hair is in good condition, then you should be fine. I took 2 of my friends to have it done. Hell, I even took my mom to them to get her hair straightened. This is a first world country: if you go to a decent salon, odds are that they'll know what they're doing, no matter what hair-type you have. My hairdresser doesn't know any english at all, and my japanese is shite, and we STILL didn't have any problems.

Zee
May 1st, 2007, 13:52
Considering that salons all over LA advertise the Japanese hair straightening method, you can be sure that they know what they're doing when it comes to straightening hair. Though, that technique is only for those who want to say goodbye to their curls for the long run and substantials wads of cash.

Relaxing is the more temporary method of straightening. As long as the hair is kept in good condition, there's no problem with it. My brother has been getting his relaxed for years now. I have heard, though, that some people permanently lose their curls after much straightening treatment. That's mostly the reason why I've stuck with a straightening iron for the few times I care enough (i.e., not feeling lazy) to straighten my own. I'm just plain paranoid. ;-)

Sciby
May 1st, 2007, 13:55
Are the Japanese fans of 2in1 style shampoos, or are they more into having the shampoo and conditioner seperate?

nothing123
May 1st, 2007, 13:57
Are the Japanese fans of 2in1 style shampoos, or are they more into having the shampoo and conditioner seperate?

What the hell do you need shampoo or conditioner for?

Sciby
May 1st, 2007, 14:03
I do have pubic hair y'know, geez! :P

The beard, dear Liza... the beard.

GIBBY
May 1st, 2007, 14:04
Clearly it's to keep that goatie luscious and full..... Because with facial hair like that.... Why change a thing?

kurara
May 1st, 2007, 14:36
Considering that salons all over LA advertise the Japanese hair straightening method, you can be sure that they know what they're doing when it comes to straightening hair. Though, that technique is only for those who want to say goodbye to their curls for the long run and substantials wads of cash.

Relaxing is the more temporary method of straightening. As long as the hair is kept in good condition, there's no problem with it. My brother has been getting his relaxed for years now. I have heard, though, that some people permanently lose their curls after much straightening treatment. That's mostly the reason why I've stuck with a straightening iron for the few times I care enough (i.e., not feeling lazy) to straighten my own. I'm just plain paranoid. ;-)

You know, it was probably relaxing that people were talking to me about when I heard bad things. Maybe I can finally have straight hair again! The iron kills ><

heatherG
May 2nd, 2007, 01:18
Noooooo! Don't hate on curly hair! We are an oppressed minority and are only internalizing curl hate by straightening hair!

I guess I am guilty of straightening but that was back in middle school and hated myself anyway, lol ... now I embrace it, my hair's gonna do what it's gonna do.

eta_carinae
May 3rd, 2007, 03:23
I have hair with a dual-personality -- it's curly underneath and kinda wavy on the top. I think the weight pulls the curls out maybe? Anyway, if it's humid it just gets frizzy and ugly. And being that I've live in Colorado, I haven't tried any products or whathaveyou for dealing with that... I just straighten it with the blowdryer and an iron and it stays that way till the next wash. So it's definitely something I could use some help on for when I arrive in Japan

popsiclestand
May 3rd, 2007, 04:13
I was wondering if grocery stores sell lemon juice concentrate in Japan like they do in the states? It (and lime juice) are the only things I use when washing my hair, as they are the only products that clean, strip the hair of all oils, and leave no residue behind. I have dreads, so special care is needed to maintain them and ensure no nasty buildup.

Micronian
May 3rd, 2007, 06:57

You know, it was probably relaxing that people were talking to me about when I heard bad things. Maybe I can finally have straight hair again! The iron kills ><

I straighten my hair once in a while, and I use an iron. I remember when I first started to use a straightening iron, I'd get so scared of sticking that thing so close to my head, but after a while, your brain adjusts its hand/iron perception. Now I can do it without even thinking about it.

I always wanted to get a professional straightening, but it's very expensive, and my hair isn't as long as it used to be.

wicket
May 3rd, 2007, 14:36
Popsiclestand,
You can get small bottles of 100% lemon juice at supermarkets and 99 yen stores, but it's not concentrate. Haven't seen lime juice. Lemons and limes themselves are horrendously expensive.

StridentWright
May 3rd, 2007, 21:04
I've been completely shaving my head since a year ago at age 22 when it started to leave of it's own volition. It looks cool, I don't look like a thug at least :) So does anyone know the Japanese views on foreigners with no hair? Lol I also have a naturally blonde beard :) I have a feeling i'm going to get excessive stroking of head/ touching of beard while i'm out there :S

wicket
May 3rd, 2007, 21:08
The guy who has my old placement in Toyama is Sciby's long lost twin brother. Not too many Japanese guys shave totally, but lots have close clipper cuts. Beats a comb-over, I'd say. But yeah, they will want to touch the beard!

popsiclestand
May 3rd, 2007, 23:30
Popsiclestand,
You can get small bottles of 100% lemon juice at supermarkets and 99 yen stores, but it's not concentrate. Haven't seen lime juice. Lemons and limes themselves are horrendously expensive.

Cool, thanks! I don't think I absolutely need the concentrate. 99 yen store? That means it's also cheap. Great!

sobakasu21
May 31st, 2007, 01:14
What's the hairdryer situation like for inaka girls? Will it short the electricity for the whole building if I try to use one? I have mad curly hair and it takes me about 15 minutes to blow it out. :?

I've been growing it out, but if I can't use a hairdryer I'll have to get a new haircut.

gobeavs
May 31st, 2007, 05:34
I have adopted a strict one-haircut-per-three-month academic term policy throughout college. The end result is longish, unruly curly hair, to which I apply to product, save shampoo. Throw in an unruly beard and I'm not what you'd call polished, much.

I think I'm going clean cut for Japan, especially for the heat of August, which I've experienced before and I do not recall fondly.

jacqui
May 31st, 2007, 11:07
yes kids, as hard as it is to believe sometimes, japan is a first world country.

i have really really thick, wavy hair. the hairdressers have no problem with it at all, and although the style i got when i had it cut was a bit more mullety than i like (thanks to the trend at the time), it looked pretty good. you may find a hairdresser that gets the gaijin freak-out, but then it's their loss- just go to another one.

as for shampoos, i alternate between pantene and shiseido.

hairdryers shouldn't be a problem anywhere.

May 31st, 2007, 11:34
I've HEARD that haircuts are possible. My suspicion is that you may have to travel a bit for it.

You just have to go to Ageha in Fukuyama. Even Hiroshima city girls travel there to get their hair cut. The dude speaks fluent English and actually talks to you throughout. He cant do hi-lites though

arashi
June 1st, 2007, 05:23
I have thick, curly hair. When I was on my four month study abroad I was randomly handed an ad on the street for a discounted haircut at a nearby salon so I stopped in and it was the best haircut I have ever had in my life! I always feel like hair stylists don't even understand what I want them to do with my hair, even when I show them a picture, but this guy did it perfectly! My Japanese is intermediate and he knew a few English words (mostly the English jargon for haircutting) and yet he understood what I wanted more than any English speaker ever has. I exchanged phone e-mail addresses with him and we chatted off and on until I left Japan. It was that awesome.

Alex_X
June 1st, 2007, 06:09
Noooooo! Don't hate on curly hair! We are an oppressed minority and are only internalizing curl hate by straightening hair!

I guess I am guilty of straightening but that was back in middle school and hated myself anyway, lol ... now I embrace it, my hair's gonna do what it's gonna do.

I wholeheartedly agree! You are very lucky to have curly hair! Everyone wants curly hair and only a few are born with it. Don't get it straightened, everyone I know who has done that looks terrible. It never really looks "straight", just wavy. Ick... It is really bad for your hair to do that too. Japanese hair is different than our hair. I think their methods are a little too harsh for us.

As far as the hair cut thing, just wait until you visit home to get it done. You will NEVER find anyone who can cut curly hair here (that is, if you are spoiled like me and found a stylist who was actually trained to cut curly hair)

WORD OF WARNING; Do NOT even try to get your hair colored blonde. Biggest mistake I ever made. This was in one of the biggest cities in Japan, was supposed to be the best place for foreigners, the guy even worked in gaikoku before so he spoke English, but I was very unhappy with the results. Every JET I know who tried to get their hair colored blonde was very unhappy with the results.

Just my 2 cents... wait until you visit home and get it done then. It isn't worth it ruining your hair when you aren't sure what the results will be. :x

Autolycus91982
June 1st, 2007, 06:26
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7dyl0j3WU6Y

I hope they have this song in the karaoke places. I love this song!

sobakasu21
June 1st, 2007, 06:40
I'm not planning on coming back til after the school year is over, so I think I'm gonna have to find someone who can handle it in Osaka or another big city nearby. It'll be an excuse for a vacation :^_^: And, no doubt, a very interesting experience!

Can we wear hats in school??

KateW
June 1st, 2007, 08:52

Nein.

Alex_X
June 1st, 2007, 09:13

Nein.

In the winter, my school opens all the windows and doors so it is effing freezing inside. I wore my Norweigian ski hat every day and I thinked it pissed off all the teachers. But I was cold and it gave me an excuse to not have to shower for extended periods of time. :wink: No one asked me to take it off. :lol:

June 1st, 2007, 09:39

You can if you dye your hair orange 8)

Alex_X
June 1st, 2007, 10:40

You can if you dye your hair orange 8)

Why not? Half the people in this country have orange hair. Why orange is socially acceptable and blue is not still bothers me. Brown hair I could understand, but orange? :cry:

Autolycus91982
June 1st, 2007, 11:01
I used to have orange hair...but I was trying to go blonde...that didn't work out too well.

nothing123
June 1st, 2007, 11:05
it gave me an excuse to not have to shower for extended periods of time

Uhh, you don't shower every day?

That's kinda nasty...

Alex_X
June 1st, 2007, 11:18
it gave me an excuse to not have to shower for extended periods of time

Uhh, you don't shower every day?

That's kinda nasty...

I think it's kinda hot... :smt056 :twisted: