PDA

View Full Version : Modern Japanese art questions

tobitai
May 5th, 2007, 05:07
Does anyone remember the name of the artist who did all the work with those crazy flowers that have the kind-of-creepy smiley faces? I think Louis Vuitton even had a purse made with those faces in the design.

I was also wondering if anyone knows any good place (online or not) to buy that kind of Japanese modern art stuff. I specifically want Yoshitomo Nara’s Too Young to Die ashtray but I can only find it on ebay for around $60+.

lains
May 5th, 2007, 06:10
Yep, Takashi Murakami.

You should be able to find lots of his and naras stuff in cute, cheap consumables, I remember when I was in New York I found a great postcard book of Naras work.

If you like their kind of stuff, check out a great female NZ graffiti artist called Misery... http://www.miseryboutique.com/gallery.html

lains
May 5th, 2007, 06:14
It was in Urban Outfitters that I found the Nara postcard book, and I do have a vague recollection of seeing the ashtray youre after, though that was nearly 2 years ago now...

tobitai
May 5th, 2007, 07:03
Awesome, thanks. Misery’s work is really cool as well.

I checked at Urban Outfitters because I remember seeing some of Nara’s stuff there but I think I missed out. I will probably have to pay the ebay price if I decide I still want it.