PDA

View Full Version : Give me a walkthrough of your day

samesong
May 9th, 2007, 18:14
Besides work and sleep, what do you do? Feel free to describe a typical workday or a weekend.

And the first person to tell me ESID gets a sharp piece of glass to the eye

Jill
May 9th, 2007, 19:27
Get up in the morning, hop online, check my email, BD, ITIL, LJ, et cetera. Once I've exhausted all those procrastination attempts, I half-heartedly do research for my dissertation. Then I procrastinate some more by--

Oh, wait, did you want current JETs to answer this? Sorry, dear, my mistake.

mteacher80
May 9th, 2007, 20:02
wake up at 750.
leave for work 805
arrive at work 810 (thanks 50cc scooter)
turn laptop on so i can have somthing to do during morning meeting.
check early sports scores on espn.com
....if 2 or fewer classes.....
prepare for the classes then start surfing web/watching southpark on allsp.com
eat lunch.
surf web till eyes hurt
sneak off home about 300 or 330
get home
watch an episode of whatever i was downloading that day (lost/prison break/heros/24)
walk to mall
--get beer or chuhi on way to mall
go to the electronics store and spend 15-30 mins sitting in $5000 massage chair.
go to game center and kick my students asses at Guilty Gear and Tekken 5, sometimes CVS2
go get more beer or chu-hi
walk home
make dinner
eat and watch more episodes of whatever i was downloading
post on itil
drink some more
go to bed

:)

Jenkins
May 9th, 2007, 20:30
I think Mark should be a role model for all JETs. Just one criticism tho, you need more beer in there ;)

kiwimusume
May 9th, 2007, 20:50
ESID! :P

(Just kidding. Put the glass down...)

Anyways. Wake up at 7:30, leave for work at 7:50, get to work at 8am (GOD, I love living 10 minutes' walk from work. I get to sleep way later than I did for my previous job.)

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

Am at my base school all day. I have 3 classes (2 on Fridays) where I am your basic human tape recorder. I demonstrate how to pronounce stuff, help students with any worksheets and things they're doing, and usually "introduce" the new page of the textbook - basically hold up picture cards and explain in really simple English what's going on on that page, then ask questions to check that they understood. It took me awhile to be able to do this without making them go :?: but I'm pretty decent at it now. Sometimes there's a lot of hanging around the back of the room while the JTE explains how grammar works or something, which can get pretty boring, but all in all it's the original gravy train.

So, I do classes for a couple hours, then the rest of the time I either study for 1kyuu or dick around on the internet, depending on how motivated I'm feeling. Sometimes one of the JTEs gets me to mark students' homework, but it's boring as shit because their homework consists of copying out the new vocab words over and over again until they fill up a page. If I'm really lucky I get to mark something that involves their own ideas. Normally 90% of the students all write the same thing, but the other 10% is great to read. I also have a Japanese translation of The Devil Wears Prada which I try to motivate myself to read. I'm not sure how much it's helping my Japanese, but it's good for some "OMG!!!! Jooooooooooouzuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"s. :P

I go home at 4:15 at the moment, but I'm toying with the idea of joining a club - possibly the art club.

Tuesday/Thursday:

My visit school days. I have 3 primary schools and 4 kindergartens. I go to one of the primary schools on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, and one of the kindergartens on Thursday morning. Two of the primary schools use the most God-awful CD-rom imaginable, but as with my base school it's easy work. The other school and the kindergartens let me plan my own lessons, which is harder(ish) work, but way more fun. I don't have to discipline any of the classes - their regular teachers take care of that. The kids can be really hyper, but they're also really enthusiastic. :D

As for after work, not much to tell. Slob around my apartment. Dick around on the internet. Watch J-dramas. Occasionally go shopping. I did inherit a Thursday night eikaiwa class, though. It's very laid back, for most of the students it's as much of a catch-up session as an actual class. They're all pretty cool.

And yeah, that's pretty much it. </ramble>

Ini
May 9th, 2007, 20:55
There is no typical day on JET, every day is a new adventure..........

dombay
May 9th, 2007, 21:37
Up at 6 - morning exercise
6-8 Eat Breakfast, fuck around on the net
8.05 At work onegai shimasuing. I live in the same street as my one school.
8.05 - 5 (8 - lunchtime fridays) Work with teaching, reasearching teaching, making teaching materials, fucking around on here, studying J-go, editing local AJET rag, etc ...
5 - Come home, keep working usually while fucking around on here and BD and drinking/watching TV etc or I go to the gym if I'm feeling energetic. Iron, do housework, make lunch for tomorrow, etc.
9ish - sleep

Friday - Leave my shithole town at lunchtime to go and find thingo. Usually via Kaiten sushi or something. Weekends usually start here that involve drinking a lot, kareokeing a lot and complaining about shitty okayama/fukuyama bars a lot.

Yep, every day IS an adventure (bullshit). Sometimes I attend international affairs meetings, coach the kids for exams, talk to the conbini ladies, etc. REally really exciting stuff.

I actually like my lifestyle really. I really love my job. My town is a bit on the smelly side though.

samesong
May 10th, 2007, 02:49
Maybe I should start drinking heavily now - you know, to warm up my liver for when the real alcoholism begins in Japan.

dombay
May 10th, 2007, 06:34
That might be a good idea, yes. With the low prices and easy availabilty of alcohol, everyone wins, except your health.

sophiesaffron
May 10th, 2007, 07:09
great idea for a thread, samesong! this has been super interesting to read. seems like a lot of people have a lot of time on their hands to just sit around and read/post on ITIL and BD. But, and let me take the acronym right out of your mouth non-n00bs, ESID.

Ini
May 10th, 2007, 07:15
What alcoholism? Mark has a few cans after work and Dombay drinks on the weekend. bit of perspective please, do you go around screaming "oh my god i'm dying of skin cancer!!!" when you get a mild suntan?

Doomer
May 10th, 2007, 08:18
655 - get up :evil:
715 - out the door and on a bus by 720
740 - get to school
740 - 855 - fuck around on the net (read news check this place)
(depends on how many classes i have from here on out)
855 - 345 - go to classes and read fark or policeone along with ITIL during free periods
420 - get home
420 - 730 - GAME TIME!!
730 - 10 movie or whatever show im currently watching
11 - call the female
1130 - sleepy time

Thursdays I head down to omi-hachiman to play basketball with mark and a few of the other JETs from my prefecture...weekends well it all depends but we do go to kyoto or osaka about once a month or so id say...

KateW
May 10th, 2007, 08:25
God I hate you people and your late wake-up times.

6:30 - wake up & get ready
7:30 - bike to work
8:05 - glaze over/start up laptop during morning meeting
8:30 - 4:00 - go to whatever classes I have, reply to journals/make worksheets, and fart around online.
4 - get my ass home

And from then on out its happy-undies-lounging-time!! Unless I go out, which is relatively common. Then it's 'gotta get home so I can get to bed in good time' - time. Hoo haa.

jacqui
May 10th, 2007, 09:03
7:00 - wake up
7:45 - leave for school
8:20 - get to school and check itil
9:00 - 13:00 - classes or more fucking around on the net
13:00 - lunch
13:50 - more classes, work, lesson preps
16:30 - leave school
17:00 - get home, msn to boyfriend, supper, etc
00:00 - go to bed

i need a life. :P

chibitotoro
May 10th, 2007, 09:30
7:00 - wake up
8:15 - leave apartment
8:20 - arrive at school in time for morning meeting
8:50-16:15 - classes, interspersed with naptime, tea time, and farting around on the internet time
16:00-17:00 - ESS twice a week
16:**-22:00 - sitting at home watching stuff I've downloaded, Japanese TV, or movies, making/eating dinner, having a drink or two, and generally wishing I could get off my lazy ass and go find something more interesting to do
22:00-23:00 - lay me down on the futon

Weekends usually involve sleeping until 10 or waking up early to watch a Yankees game; occasionally talking to the folks via video chat; shopping, laundry, cleaning my room, other mundane activities; going out for dinner, drinks, and occasionally karaoke with various people. It's not a hugely exciting life, but the time spent at school with my students, and with my friends on the weekends, makes me happy enough.

dobharrison
May 10th, 2007, 09:42
16:**-22:00 - sitting at home watching stuff I've downloaded, Japanese TV, or movies, making/eating dinner, having a drink or two, and generally wishing I could get off my lazy ass and go find something more interesting to do

You could always come and hang out with me...

6:50 - Alarm goes off.
7:30 - Get up (I like to pretend that I'll get up on time one day).
8:15 - Walk to school.
8:30 - Arrive at school - I never go to the morning meeting, which suits me fine.
8:45 - 15:10 - Classes, usually 3 per day but sometimes 4.
15:50 - 16:40 - English club on Wednesdays (we watch DVDs usually).
18:00ish - 22:00ish - Head into Hiroshima for dinner with friends or for a coffee by myself. I have a Starbucks about 20 minutes walk from me, so I'm quite a regular there.
22:00ish - 2:00ish - Chat online, play video games, read, etc.
2:00ish - Crawl into bed, try to sleep.

Living just outside Hiroshima City means I eat out there quite often in the evenings. Monday night is board games night. Thursday is DVD night at someone's place.

May 10th, 2007, 10:05
Workdays I get up at 6:50, breakfast, catch my 7:36 bus, which drops me outside school at 8:20-ish. I go to elementary school on Mondays (I rotate between 2) and teach 4 lessons there. The rest of the time Iím at JHS, morning meeting starts 8:25, and the day carries on as people have described above.

The amount of teaching each day varies (obviously) usually in a week Iíll have 2 busy days Ė 4 lessons, and then a couple of not busy days- 2-3 lessons. I do all the marking of the studentís workbooks; this usually takes up 1 lesson, and as Kiwimusume said is mostly boring. I pop out of school at lunchtime to buy lunch. Fridayís I only work until lunchtime.

As I live and work in the middle of nowhere public transport is really bad, and I canít drive, so I catch a bus a 6:06 to go home. After classes finish I join the tennis club, after tennis finishes I mess around on the internet, study Japanese, play on my DS, read, or go and chat with the family who run the sake shop Ė depending on how Iím feeling, till my bus comes.

exact
May 10th, 2007, 10:09
looking forward to leaving this schedule behind, i work as a substitute teacher in Orlando

5:15 - wake up
5:15-6:15 - eat, shower, shit, shave, make lunch, dress
6:15 - leave apartment for school
6:45 - arrive at school (working around the city requires a bit of a drive sometimes)
7:10 - beginning of school
7:20-2:15 - 5 classes with a free period (unless I cover another class during that time), add in 30 minutes for lunch and 5 minutes free time between classes. classes can mean between reading a book aloud to a class, to trying to teach a subject (russian was fun), to passing out a worksheet and chilling for an hour
2:45 - get home
3:00-8:00 - take a nap, go to gym, fix dinner, surf online, watch tv or downloaded programs, talk on the phone, read, etc
8:00-10:00 - play basketball with friends or go to practice (won't say for what)
10:00-12:00 - watch tv and chill, anticipate the next day of drudgery
12:00 - sleep

az
May 10th, 2007, 10:21
7:45 Wake up

8:25 Get to school

4:10 Leave school

4:15-6:00 walk/ride to town window shop, have dinner

6:00-8:00 practice flute or meet band members for rehersal

8:00-9:00 watch dvd or internet

(6-9 sometimes visit friend who makes awesome curry for dinner)

9:00-11:00 exercise

11:30 bed

amagaeru
May 10th, 2007, 10:27
I'm play too! here's a regular workday:

7:20 wake up, shower/dress/stuff
8:00 walk to main SHS (5 min, 3 days a week) or drive to a visit SHS (30-50 min, 2 days a week)
8:00-8:30 turn on computer, load up IM/email/blog, surf through morning meeting
8:20-8:55 gather materials/make sure am prepared for today's lessons
8:55-4:00 teach (about 3 periods per day), plan for tomorrow's lessons (30-60 min per day), putz around on internet/write/read/text msg/IM (2-3 hours per day)
4:00 walk home (or drive, if it's a visit school day)
4:00-5:00 exercise
5:00-6:00 make, eat dinner
6:00-7:00 shower
7:00-11/12:00 eikaiwa/Jgo/pottery class, or if its a free day, draw, read, study Jgo, talk to family/friends in Skype/AIM, watch DVD, write, touch self intimately while gazing at photo of own face, housework, etc.

faaaascinating huh.

Ini
May 10th, 2007, 10:50
Is anyone actually reading these posts? and if so why?

az
May 10th, 2007, 10:51
Everyone loves an opportunity to blab on about themselves

Ini
May 10th, 2007, 10:54
well at least jazz it up a bit, a distinct lack of hookers and blackjack in these peoples lives

az
May 10th, 2007, 10:55
didn't you get the letter from clair we are not allowed to post about illegal activities ie basically my whole life

Ini
May 10th, 2007, 11:02
I don't get anything from clair, I made sure I was off all the mailing lists in my first year.

az
May 10th, 2007, 11:05
ahh, good move.

mteacher80
May 10th, 2007, 11:48
didn't you get the letter from clair we are not allowed to post about illegal activities ie basically my whole life

you serious about this?

May 10th, 2007, 11:50
There was something in the Clair newsletter about being more careful on the internet - someone got in trouble for posting stuff on his/her blog!

az
May 10th, 2007, 11:50
yes, some guy posted obscenities about his school, staff and students (used their names too) and his school found out.

kiwimusume
May 10th, 2007, 12:09
stuff

YOU'RE BACK!!!!! :smt005

az
May 10th, 2007, 12:24
お久しぶりですねえ!

yeah I have nothing to do so I thought I visit you guys

az
May 10th, 2007, 12:26
ps are you going to the Kobe conference?

May 10th, 2007, 12:31
I wanna post my life!!!

Ahem.

5:30 get out of bed, insomniac, so its a bit of a relief to just give up and get up. Cook, arb, read, do whatever.
8:00 go to school, prepare handouts and such while teachers have meetings
9 - 4 teach classes, make lessons, arb on the internet
4 - 6 discuss next day's classes with JTE's, tutor kids for entrance exams and interviews
6 - 8 do shopping, make dinner, etc
9 - 11 watch dramas and chat online

Ini
May 10th, 2007, 12:31
There was something in the Clair newsletter about being more careful on the internet - someone got in trouble for posting stuff on his/her blog!

There has been other cases, ask cornelius

az
May 10th, 2007, 12:49
I wanna post my life!!!

Hey girl. Why do I only see you in cyberspace, on airplanes and in Tokyo?? We should hang out more considering you live so close!!

May 10th, 2007, 12:51
how was Tokyo, btw? knowing us, we'll end up sitting next to eachother on the way to kobe.

az
May 10th, 2007, 12:56
how was Tokyo, btw? knowing us, we'll end up sitting next to eachother on the way to kobe.

Yeah most likely, lol. Tokyo was great, had a blast, been three times now. Hope your parents had a good time.

dobharrison
May 10th, 2007, 12:58
Is anyone actually reading these posts? and if so why?

I am, but now you mention it I have no idea why. Everyone's lives are just as uneventful as mine, it seems. :(

Pandilex
May 10th, 2007, 13:00
Wake up at 8
Shower
Go to school
Do marking until 11:30
Have lunch at a random restaurant
Continue marking from 12:30 to 6pm
Go home
Collapse from exhaustion
Go to pub
Drink troubles away
Come back 10pm
Talk to people on msn and read forums
Go to bed

dombay
May 10th, 2007, 13:05
You have a pub?

That's why your such a fatty boomsticks then spiderman.

I wish my town had a pub.

dobharrison
May 10th, 2007, 13:44

My town has a Beatles-themed cocktail bar!

Suck on that, bitches.

dorovar
May 10th, 2007, 14:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqpqxyE3_k

The daily life of a JET in 2 and 1/2 minutes.

miyoshi
May 10th, 2007, 15:06
my day is pretty much the same as everyone else's as far as working hours and wake up time but i have no free time at work. i teach 18 classes a week (i teach all three grades of SHS). when i have a free period, that time must be spent marking essays and journals, lesson planning, or creating my part of the exams. it's impossible to get all of my work done during work hours so i usually end up having to stay late.

as far as the lesson, i am responsible for the entire 50 minute class. the JTE does zero planning for the team teaching class. in the classroom, i pretty much teach by myself. i don't even know why my school calls it team teaching. the JTE is there but only to make sure the students understand what i'm saying.

Ini
May 10th, 2007, 15:17
i teach 18 classes a week

You say that like its a lot, still gives you 2-3 spare lessons a day to chew the fat on here

chibitotoro
May 10th, 2007, 16:35

You could always come and hang out with me...

I do...when you invite me! Anyway I'm too poor to eat out downtown every night.

dombay
May 10th, 2007, 21:37

My town has a Beatles-themed cocktail bar!

Suck on that, bitches.

What can you say to that ...?

wicket
May 10th, 2007, 21:52
This: my town has a Jamaican themed reggae bar that serves all the usual stuff as well as vegan curries and soy chai lattes.
My day:
Up at 6.45, make lunches, make breakfasts, get husband up.
7.45 leave for work (10 mins by train/walking or 20 mins by bike to base school,30 mins by train/walking to visit school)
Teach about 3 classes a day. 11 periods per week are a set schedule, all SHS first-graders Basic Reading course (base schol) or English 1 course (visit school); extra 4 periods per week English 1 course "Special lesson" (e.g. cultural learning) at base school. Free periods are spent preparing, marking, working on stuff for the English board or the Kobe conference.
Leave work at 5.15 (base school), 4.15 (visit school)
Evenings: watch movies, study Japanese (at home or at volunteer community classes), go for long walks/bike rides discovering new things in my town (even after 9 months!), read novels, play cards, go to pub, out for dinner (or cook), go to izakaya, go to "free time" karaoke (11pm-5am all you can drink and sing for 2400 yen), visit neighbours or friends, write letters, tool around on internet, work on presentations for classes or conference, work on novel.
2am-ish go to bed
Sometime after that if I'm lucky - go to sleep.

dombay
May 10th, 2007, 22:04
I want a soy chai latte!!

Sciby
May 10th, 2007, 22:28
Has Japan be overrun by those new thai 'sealed beverage' places yet? They're popping up in Oz, and I'm starting to get addicted: http://www.easywaytea.com.au

chibitotoro
May 10th, 2007, 22:42
Has Japan be overrun by those new thai 'sealed beverage' places yet? They're popping up in Oz, and I'm starting to get addicted: http://www.easywaytea.com.au

You mean Bubble Tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea), which is from Taiwan, and has been around for decades?

wicket
May 10th, 2007, 23:04
Come visit then. Duh. Bring thingo.

dobharrison
May 11th, 2007, 00:31

Yeah, but do you have an Indian tea shop?

wicket
May 11th, 2007, 02:40
Yeah, but do you have an Indian tea shop?
2 towns over. :D

Autolycus91982
May 11th, 2007, 03:06
Boba tea? They're all over the place in Southern CA...I love them. Delicious! Haven't had any lately though. Trying to watch the figure, ya know! :smt005

dombay
May 11th, 2007, 07:30

Will stop by on our next Spa World trip.

Sciby we've had EasyWay in Sydney for yonks. The novelty wears off after a few weeks.

psychohistoric
May 11th, 2007, 07:51
Wicket, do you really function on less than 5 hours of sleep every night? That would kill me.

Sciby
May 11th, 2007, 08:02
You mean Bubble Tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea), which is from Taiwan, and has been around for decades?

No, not just bubble tea, and it hasn't been available outside the cesspool of Sydney until recently, and certainly not anywhere near me. Oh, and my deepest apologies for getting the country wrong. :P

No one answered my question anyway.

May 11th, 2007, 08:40
get husband up.

Is your husband five years old? or just incapable of getting out of bed himself?!?

nothing123
May 11th, 2007, 08:55
get husband up.

Is your husband five years old? or just incapable of getting out of bed himself?!?

Oh, that refers to getting him out of bed.

I was thinking she might be doing something completely different...

psychohistoric
May 11th, 2007, 09:18
get husband up.

Oh, that refers to getting him out of bed.

I was thinking she might be doing something completely different...

Now that's a good morning! My favorite way to wake-up indeed.