PDA

View Full Version : Orientation

nothing123
May 14th, 2007, 07:54
Quick question: which out of you current JETs have thrown their name in to go to orientation in August?

jacqui
May 14th, 2007, 09:14
me.

though i don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting it.

anyone know when we find out about TOA?

Ini
May 14th, 2007, 09:17
Don't bother with that TOA crap, just turn up. Its only just down the road.

jacqui
May 14th, 2007, 09:19
erm. can a 3-hour flight be equated to "just down the road"?

Ini
May 14th, 2007, 09:24
You need to live nearer the action. Throw in this teaching rubbish and get a job at a snack bar in kabukicho. Pays better.

jacqui
May 14th, 2007, 09:29
as unbelievably tempting as that sounds, the contract here has already been signed for another year.

foo.

Ini
May 14th, 2007, 10:13
really? Thats early.

May 14th, 2007, 11:25
Nah, decided to go to Fuji rock instead, then somewhere relaxing with the bf.

mteacher80
May 14th, 2007, 13:19
Ill be there for group B......(maybe C if there is anyone comming to shiga in that group)

nothing123
May 14th, 2007, 13:38
Nice. Guess I'll see you there then.

jacqui
May 14th, 2007, 14:03
do you already know which group you're coming in?

shadowrook
May 14th, 2007, 14:28
I applied...but same as jacqui...a snowball's chance in Kyushu in the summer of getting it...

nothing123
May 14th, 2007, 15:24
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm group B.

kiwimusume
May 14th, 2007, 16:02

You will be, unless it's changed this year. Last year and the year before it was Wellington in Group A, Auckland and Christchurch in Group B. :D

nothing123
May 14th, 2007, 16:53

You will be, unless it's changed this year. Last year and the year before it was Wellington in Group A, Auckland and Christchurch in Group B. :D

Apologies, I say "pretty sure" a lot. What I really mean is "yes, I am in group B"

wicket
May 14th, 2007, 18:31
I've applied to be a TOA, but I doubt I'll get it, since I'm only a first year, but we live in hope. Also I'm presenting at Recontracting, so they probably won't let me do both (bit stupid, since I have to be at Kobe anyway - not like I'm costing them any extra - I'm saving them money by not having to have a 2nd or 3rd year present at Recontracting.)
I thought we would have heard about Tokyo by now, so I'm assuming my application was unsuccessful.
Oh well...

shadowrook
May 15th, 2007, 07:32
They said we'd be contacted regardless of whether we got it or not...which I don't know if that's true or not. I'm assuming that your kencho (or I think fucho...cause you're in Osaka) would have that info.

Doomer
May 15th, 2007, 07:53
They said we'd be contacted regardless of whether we got it or not...which I don't know if that's true or not. I'm assuming that you're kencho (or I think fucho...cause you're in Osaka) would have that info.

Thats true...I applied last year and didnt get it...they told me sometime in May if I remember correctly (which I may not)

shadowrook
May 15th, 2007, 15:37
I found out unofficially today that I was rejected...! Yay!

wicket
May 15th, 2007, 21:19
Nevermind, Shadowrock, you can still go to Tokyo some time (how far is it from Saga, anyway?)
I have yet to hear anything about my application - maybe they have the info. at my base school. Hopefully tomorrow... one way or the other, I just want to know.

shadowrook
May 16th, 2007, 07:21
I've been back to Tokyo...but it's a far journey. =P I live an hour away from Hakata terminal...which makes for a lengthy 4-5 hour shinkansen ride to Tokyo, or a 2 hour ride by plane.

You're base school won't know...I would ask your PA, as they may already know. ^_^

Hectic3
May 16th, 2007, 21:38
How much free time do you get during orientation? Judging from last year's schedule it looked pretty hectic, without much free time apart from the first day which had a 3 hr gap.

Are there any other opporunities there for us to actually get out and visit places other than Shinjuku. I for one would like to head down to Akihabara and pick up parts for the PC that I'll be assembling over there.

May 16th, 2007, 21:50
Officially just the evenings are free - they don't lay on dinner, so you have to sort yourself out.

But they don't take registers during the workshops, and tell you something like:

"You have to go to all the workshops, events etc, but these ones (the opening ceremony and your prefectural meeting) are really really important."

Make of this what you will.