PDA

View Full Version : Building a Gauss gun...Legal?

Omega037
May 21st, 2007, 13:31
I saw on youtube some directions for making a gauss gun(also known as a coilgun) which basically uses magnets in series to propel a piece of metal at high speeds. Unlike a real gun, there is no explosion, gunpowder, or very loud noise. I was wondering if I could build one purely to satisfy my curiosity while in Japan. What is the legality on this?

dombay
May 21st, 2007, 14:47
I don't think we're in kansas anymore Toto ...

nothing123
May 21st, 2007, 14:55
I don't think we're in kansas anymore Toto ...

:lol:

Omega037
May 21st, 2007, 14:57
It is actually pretty simple. Just a big capacitor(should be able to get some without too much trouble), some electromagnetic coils(easy to find), and projectile made of magnetic material.

nothing123
May 21st, 2007, 14:58
Yeah, I don't think dombay was doubting the simplicity of the construction, but rather the simplicity of the person who has intentions to make said weapon.

Timoshi
May 21st, 2007, 15:00
Didn't you just say that you're missing intelligent conversation in another thread????

May 21st, 2007, 15:03
I saw on youtube some directions for making a gauss gun(also known as a coilgun) which basically uses magnets in series to propel a piece of metal at high speeds. Unlike a real gun, there is no explosion, gunpowder, or very loud noise. I was wondering if I could build one purely to satisfy my curiosity while in Japan. What is the legality on this?

I don't know about illegeal but its flipping stupid, why don't you just take penis enlargement pills instead??

Sciby
May 21st, 2007, 15:03
No no, let him go ahead... we're about to learn an important lesson in natural selection...

Omega037
May 21st, 2007, 15:28
Well, it's either the gauss gun or submerging a computer in an aquarium filled with mineral oil and making it still work. Which is something else I also saw on youtube.

KateW
May 21st, 2007, 15:34
He's starved for intelligent conversation, but spends his free time on inevitably pointless techy experiments! We've got ourselves a snooty nerd here, folks!

wattiewatson
May 21st, 2007, 16:13
Just go up to Kyoto sensei, say you are building a gun and are pretty sure thats its legal as it doesnt make much of a noise. Post that on Youtube as well, might make the top 100.

Matt

dobharrison
May 21st, 2007, 16:30
Didn't Omega study engineering, or am I getting him confused with someone else?

I don't see what the big deal is beyond it firing projectiles. I doubt he's going to use it to go hunting or anything! Relax, people!

Omega037
May 22nd, 2007, 00:34
Didn't Omega study engineering, or am I getting him confused with someone else?

I don't see what the big deal is beyond it firing projectiles. I doubt he's going to use it to go hunting or anything! Relax, people!

Yeah, I'm an engineer. That is actually the problem...I haven't done any building or problem solving since I got to Japan. I visited home last month and managed to get hooked into helping out some seniors with their final projects and I remembered why I loved engineering so much. My first thought was to build a fuel cell(I actually got to check one out that some guys were making for their senior design project), but the fact that the hydrogen gas basically would make it into a large bomb has kinda put me off of it.

dombay
May 22nd, 2007, 06:29
I have a degree in Chinese religion, doesn't mean I am going out and erecting daoist monuments.

I think the thing is less that you want to build something and more that what you want to build is culturally offensive here regardless of whether or not it is legal.

nothing123
May 22nd, 2007, 07:26
Weapons offend your culture?

I do now have to ask which culture this might be.

dombay
May 22nd, 2007, 07:29
No Japanese culture but to an extent my culture too.

Seriously if someone next door to me in Australia was building a gun in their backyard i'd be a bit freaked out. I assume you would in kiwisville too.

Caito
May 22nd, 2007, 07:35
If someone made a Youtube video on how to jump off a cliff, would you do it?

BringBackChef could link us back to it.

nothing123
May 22nd, 2007, 07:36
I'm not sure that's a cultural thing though. That's like me saying that as a New Zealander I am offended by guns, and that anyone sharing my culture should also share in that dislike.

It has more to do with personal values and, to an extent, morals. Ie: is it morally wrong for bucko here to create a weapon of dubious legality?

dombay
May 22nd, 2007, 07:39
I'm not sure that's a cultural thing though. That's like me saying that as a New Zealander I am offended by guns, and that anyone sharing my culture should also share in that dislike.

It has more to do with personal values and, to an extent, morals. Ie: is it morally wrong for bucko here to create a weapon of dubious legality?

Yea but that's still part of culture. Though I think we're reading off the same page with different words.

nothing123
May 22nd, 2007, 07:54

Yea but that's still part of culture. Though I think we're reading off the same page with different words.

I agree 100% with the point you're making. Just a little less that this has any cultural significance.

Saying that weapons offend your cultural sensibilities is like saying that a person has a violent culture if he kills someone. His actions have absolutely nothing to do with a shared history or set of rituals (unless it was some voodoo murder ritual) that would define this aspect of culture.

Plus, you'd have to agree that not all people that share your culture share your belief systems.

nothing123
May 22nd, 2007, 08:12
I was trying to find online an electronic version of a thesis written by one of my old uni lecturers called Pakeha Culture: Concept or Conundrum which would give a really good background to what I'm talking about, but it doesn't look like it's available. It was published and is readily available in NZ, so if you ever see it, pick it up and have a read. Quite interesting stuff.

Omega037
May 22nd, 2007, 08:14
I wasn't planning on using the gun, just building it. Frankly, I would prob just decide halfway through it to throw down some track and make a model bullet train. Then it just becomes a matter of how much force do I need to get through the third loop without flying off the 4th bend. Projects often take a life of their own. Also, half my interest is just doing the math involved for the physics and then seeing if I get it right.

If I just wanted a weapon, I could have a potato cannon bulit in under 3 hours and under $100 bucks.

nothing123
May 22nd, 2007, 08:15
If I just wanted a weapon, I could have a potato cannon bulit in under 3 hours and under $100 bucks.

And be about 100% more likely to blow yourself up.

dombay
May 22nd, 2007, 08:16
A model shinkansen DOES sound cool on the other hand.

nothing123
May 22nd, 2007, 08:20
And by the sounds of it, it would probably work on the same principles as the gauss gun?

dombay
May 22nd, 2007, 08:21
A model shink?

Omega037
May 22nd, 2007, 08:39
I don't think the Shinkansen uses magnetic coils to propel it, but it is theoretically a way to make a high speed train. The real problem is maintaining speed...the capacitor burst is good enough for the initial acceleration, but friction will slow it down quick unless I use a form of magnetic levitation...

May 22nd, 2007, 14:30
as long as you don't make it in the shape of a gun, you should be fine. My JTE and I taught the kids how to build smoke bombs and plastic-bag-fireworks in class.

Sciby
May 22nd, 2007, 15:03
Or make one of these. Much more party-friendly. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyIphO4Ypoo)

... except for idiots like me who'd want to touch the fire. Or light cigarettes off it while it's playing "Back in Black".

Jimmydaprawn
May 30th, 2007, 03:52
I don't know about the legality in japan, but I did build a coilgun in highschool. Instead of the one-giant-coil with big cap I used about 8 smaller coils in a row. Triggering them at the right time so it sped up the projectile rather than slowing it down was the only tricky bit. Fun project, but considering the whole thing was un-capacitised or whatever, it launched very slowly. We never got around to adding caps to each coil, which I guess coulda made it about as fast as a rifle bullet.

Its fun to do though, and so long as you keep the speeds down, I don't see why it would be more illegal than say, a dartboard or a scale-electrics set.

royhuggins
June 1st, 2007, 03:37
I always wondered this, too. A well-built rail gun could seriously destroy some scenery. Here in the US, I would not build one just 'cause I'm sure someone would call me a terrorist. I gotta imagine that there are at least a few people in positions of authority in Japan who would frown on that project if they found out about it.