PDA

View Full Version : buying a tv in japan

frankdux
May 23rd, 2007, 03:35
so i have not talked to my pred yet, but based on horror stories of what may or may not be left behind for successors i was wondering if some of you guys could give me a heads up on buying a new television in japan. i certainly don't plan on wasting my jet experience in front of the television but when i do watch japanese tv i don't want to be squinting my eyes at a 13" piece of crap.

1. how do prices of tube televisions in japan compare to prices in america?
2. whats the situation in inaka? do stores deliver out to the middle of nowhere?
3. is there a reliable chain of tv stores similar to a "best buy"?

i'm bored and counting the days til i leave.

mteacher80
May 23rd, 2007, 08:54
I got a 21inch Sony for ~$170 last year when i moved to my new apartment. however depending on how long you plan on being here, the big fat heavy "tube" type tvs are almost obsolete. If you buy one they will tell you you can only use it untill 2010 because after that all signals in japan will be high def (or somthing) and wont play on "Old" tvs.

Ummmmm, almost any big store will offer delivery, and there are huge chains of electronics stores all over japan. so you wont have trouble finding one.

jacqui
May 23rd, 2007, 09:15
in all likelihood you'll have a TV when you move in. TV's seem more important in japan than stoves. :P

but if you need to buy one, every recycle shop and electronics store will have them, and will deliver, though probably for a fee.

Sciby
May 23rd, 2007, 09:20
mark: You'll be able to get a set top box to let old tv's play hi def, although it obviously won't be as good as a brand new lcd screen.

Speaking of which, lcd tv's are stupidly cheap now, so if you have to buy a new tv, you're spoilt for choice. I can only imagine that they'll be even cheaper in japan from my brief questioning of a mate in osaka... but ymmv as always.

Hyakuman
May 23rd, 2007, 11:31
I've already got my new TV picked out -- Sony Bravia 40" baby! haha. When i lived in Japan last year I used this site: www.kakaku.com to find the best deals all over Japan. Hands down, if you can read Japanese, it's the best site in the world!!

In terms of big "Best Buy"-like stores, you'll find them everywhere! Some off the top of my head are Sakuraya, Biccamera, Iidabashi Camera, Laox, K's Denki, etc.. The list goes on forever and ever! Oh yeah, and always get a point card when you go to the bigger shops. They're always free, and you can rack up huge points in no time and redeem them for some sweet savings, unlike the crap-ass point cards here in North America!

jerico2k
May 23rd, 2007, 11:47
Hands down, if you can read Japanese, it's the best site in the world!!

Or even if you can't. (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://kakaku.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://kakaku.com/%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DvJ1)

kiwimusume
May 23rd, 2007, 13:07
in all likelihood you'll have a TV when you move in. TV's seem more important in japan than stoves. :P

but if you need to buy one, every recycle shop and electronics store will have them, and will deliver, though probably for a fee.

You can also pay a little extra to get them to set up the channels for you.

jumbo_prawns
May 23rd, 2007, 21:16
I posted something on this elsewhere, but your CO (in my case, the BoE) may be responsible for furnishing some basics in your place of residence. When I first came I didn't have a TV, so I told my BoE and they brought over an almost brand-new 30-inch. Your CO might be responsible for yours as well, and if not someone may have an extra one lying around. In my experience anyway Japanese people seem to get rid of electronics when they're still perfectly usable. Since it costs them money to throw it out, you taking it off their hands could be an enormous favor to them.