PDA

View Full Version : Minamiawaji-Shi in Hyogo-Ken Prefecture

amyabaker
May 23rd, 2007, 09:29
Hi All!
I just received my placement today from JET. Looks like I will be heading out to Minamiawaji-Shi in Hyogo-Ken. I cant seem to find anything about it on the internet, so just thought I would throw this post out there to the rest of you incase you are going, or have been or know someone who went. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

AwajiKate
May 23rd, 2007, 12:00
Hey Amy!

My name is Kate, and I'm a current ALT in Minamiawaji. Your the second Canadian to be assigned here, so far.

Not going to get into much in the forums, but shoot me an email and I can answer any question you have. (well almost any!)

Minamiawaji-shi, is actually just the southern half of Awaji Island. Awaji island is the skipping stone from the mainland(Honshu) to Shikoku. Its not all that small (63 klm long), but is concidered "real Japan."

Most of Awaji is country (esp. Minamiawaji) but no worries, Kobe, Osaka, and Tokushima are all pretty close and easy to get to.

Its good to find another person coming my way! Good luck with your packing!

surgeon
May 23rd, 2007, 13:02
hi amyabaker!

i am also an ALT on the wonderful island of Awaji. you are in for a rude shock MWAHAHAH.. not really, life here is good. we have such attractions as "England Hill" and "Sumoto Castle" which will keep you entertained for the duration of your stay on this isle.

my name is Ryan and i live in Sumoto. my interests include scrapbooking, cooking and baking, gardening and exercise.

please email Kate with any further enquiries you may have. all i am here for is to provide strange comments on internet forums, and also to knock on your door the first night you arrive and take you to get drunk with the rest of the Awaji people at one of the many sophisticated watering holes at our disposal. in fact, i won't actually be doing this as i don't own a car, but i am thinking about paying 8000yen for a scooter license soon! then we can all take turns riding my scooter and laugh until we all fall in bushes.

in all seriousness, get in touch! as Kate said, i think you are the 2nd Canadian girl to be placed in "the south". no way near as cool as "the middle" or "the north", but i've heard there are plenty of old men who like to give foreign girls rocks as presents. bless their hearts.

i must now get back to my busy school schedule today, which involves joining new internet forums and posting long-winded boring posts, reading facebook, taking lots of cigarette breaks, maybe studying Japanese and also squirting the drinking taps outside at unsuspecting students.

all the best for your pre-departure stress out. everything will be fine once you arrive. get EXCITED!