PDA

View Full Version : Drunken bicycling?

JohnGalt
May 29th, 2007, 12:52
I know that there is a zero tolerance policy for drunk driving in Japan, but what about drunk bicycling?

Because not only is it incredibly convenient, but it's also one of my favorite pastimes.

Alex_X
May 29th, 2007, 12:56
You aren't supposed to. I know someone who got pulled over while riding and being intoxicated. The cops told him to walk his bike home. He continued to walk his bike home until he was out of their sight and then got back on.

Hyakuman
May 29th, 2007, 12:59
One of my buddies got pulled over while he was drunk, riding a bike he stole from somebody. He still had a beer in the front basket. He ended up having to sign an apology letter to the family that he stole the bike from, but the funny part is that the cop said to him as he left the koban about an hour later "hey, is this yours?", and then he gave him the beer back... hehe

mteacher80
May 29th, 2007, 13:02
man, that was one of my favorite pass times when i first got here, i would hop on the bike on saturday mornings, ride to the liquor store and buy some beers or chu-his and ride around my town and neighboring towns just to check things out, i know you are not supposed to, and the only time i have ever been talked to about it, was when i rode my bike to an enkai and the teachers told me i should walk or take a taxi home....

FatherLarryDuff
May 29th, 2007, 13:16
It's wrong and it's dangerous but it is soo bloody convenient. Been a few times this year that ive ridden home and not remembered a thing about it. Generally the police will forgive you for being a dumb subhuman gaijin who could never know better.

wattiewatson
May 29th, 2007, 13:31
Its been mentioned to me at enkais as well. I personally dont think its dangerous. I dont do it becuase i have a batallion of police in my town and they tend to like following the rules. Getting caught by the cops is a little different to what happens at home.

matt

binsu
May 29th, 2007, 14:23
You aren't supposed to. I know someone who got pulled over while riding and being intoxicated. The cops told him to walk his bike home. He continued to walk his bike home until he was out of their sight and then got back on.

As bad as this sounds, I am really looking forward to trying that one out! I suppose it would suck if you had someone going home with you though. haha :P

Ini
May 29th, 2007, 15:16
just take the car, if you are out in the inaka you can get away with it.

Hannah
May 29th, 2007, 18:49
Beware the rice fields and gaijin traps at the side of the road. There are very few street lights where I live. A few chuhai and you could end up joining the froggies! geru geru :P

quasarsglow
May 29th, 2007, 19:35
My prefecture has been cracking down on it in the cities lately. Thank god Ive been ignored largely, but I have managed to shred my feet up on the concrete for biking drunk with sandals on.

Most danger Ive been is to myself.

dobharrison
May 29th, 2007, 22:57
I rode home absolutely smashed once, couldn't see a thing. I must have run straight into every single wall on the way! It's a miracle I got home without any injuries.

Trivial
May 30th, 2007, 04:00
Eww, chacos or crocs + bikes = chewed up feet.

Alex_X
May 30th, 2007, 09:25
It's wrong and it's dangerous but it is soo bloody convenient. Been a few times this year that ive ridden home and not remembered a thing about it. Generally the police will forgive you for being a dumb subhuman gaijin who could never know better.

FatherLarryDuff- I happen to have epilepsy but I didn't have a seizure. ha ha ha :P

negitorodon
May 30th, 2007, 16:18
This is what the cops said in 2006 about cycling.... "a ¥50,000 fine for a traffic signal violation or for making a mobile phone call while riding, and ¥500,000 for drunken cycling, with the possibility of imprisonment for up to three years. Riding with an open umbrella is a violation, as is riding on the wrong side of the road or allowing someone to ride as a passenger."

Fin
June 5th, 2007, 06:11
I was in Munich in April, whcih means I was drinking beer at a bbq in the park, because trhat's what you do in Munich in April. Beer is about $1.25 for a half-litre bottle of the good stuff, so we had a whole case (I think that's 2 dozen, but it felt like a ton of bricks strapped to the back of my bike). On the ride home - thoroughly trashed as we were - we encountered a pair of little old ladies out for their evening stroll. One proceeded to give me a nasty glare :x for noisily joking with my mates in English as we sailed down the street. As I passed her, I nodded as courteously as I could and replied with the standard South German greeting "Grüß Gott" (which is roughly equivalent to "God be with you"). The look she gave me was so funny. Like she still thought I shouldn't have been riding drunk, but as long as I was a well-mannered German youth, she would tolerate it.

ChuChuRocket!
June 6th, 2007, 14:25
After the halloween party in my town, around 4 am, I was drunkenly ridding home when a car started to follow me. I ignored it, as I was a little drunk, and didn't notice that it followed me all the way home.

After being home for 5 minutes, someone knocks on my door. Its the cops. Seems my "Shaun of the Dead" costume was a bit too good, and some people driving past me at 4 am thought I'd been fighting.

But when the cops appeared at my door all I could think was "damn! I've been busted for drunk biking!".

Thus is my life.