PDA

View Full Version : Blood

dombay
June 4th, 2007, 09:34
So I have just been informed now, after being told a few weeks ago that I do not, that I have to have a blood test for the city.

This is not good. I do not like needles at the best of times. I really don't want to do this for a variety of reasons, mostly involving the fact that i don't trust them to be clean, I don't i don't like having blood taken after a bad experience with it in china, I don't trust them not to tell everyone of the town's 7000 residents the results, I have only been given a very vague explanation of what's going on and the memo uses difficult medical jargon kanji.

Anyway - has anyone gotten out of a situation like this before? If so how did you do it? Should I convert to Jehovah's Witnesses for a few weeks?

Thoughts?

mteacher80
June 4th, 2007, 09:37
One time they asked me for blood, coz my blood pressure was on the high normal side, but i just plain told them no. I told them taht if i had any problems taht i would go to the doctor on my own time and that i didnt need to do it at school where everything was just haphazardly thrown together in the nurses room.....they said ok, and this year they didnt even ask me...

mecro13
June 4th, 2007, 11:49
STOP BEING A WUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Although if you had a bad experience in China, maybe you have reason to be concerned. Anyway, I'm sure that the doctors in Japan can generally be trusted to have clean needles, it's not a third world country. And there's USUALLY not too much that people can gossip about from a blood test result.

I find that getting a blood test is good cause you know that you are healthy. If I was you I would do it and just make sure that you go to a reputable doctor and all will be fine!

dombay
June 4th, 2007, 12:30
Yea well judging from their food hygeine practices and the fact that washing your hands with soap after going to the toilet is something that you do in foreign countries where peolpe are dirtier i don't hold high hopes.

It's the doctor that the city sends me to too.

samesong
June 4th, 2007, 12:50
If you just flat-out refuse? You can't get fired, right? Not for something like that..

dombay
June 4th, 2007, 13:32
Yea I thought about that.

They probably wouldn't fire you but it wuldn't be good for office politics which are pretty important here.

Alex_X
June 4th, 2007, 13:50
Yea I thought about that.

They probably wouldn't fire you but it wuldn't be good for office politics which are pretty important here.

You are already screwed, you are a gaijin. You didn't have a chance before you even entered the office doors. Just refuse. I refused the x-ray urine test thing at school. No biggie, I'm a gaijin and I don't know any better! :lol:

wicket
June 4th, 2007, 14:42
Maybe you could ask them if there is some other kind of test you can take. Make sure they tell you why they want you to take it in the first place. I really didn't want to have the chest x-ray, but I did it in the end to make their lives easier - bit different to a needle.
You don't have to worry about the needles being clean - Japan has the same standards as Australia in that regard. You should see a fresh needle being taken out of a sterile pack and if you don't then absolutely refuse the test.
Interesting about food hygiene practices - Japan has one of the lowest incidences of food poisoning and hep A in the world, but sometimes I wonder how they do it.
Dombay, are you going home for a visit this year? Maybe you could tell your school you'll get a blood test done then.
Ask them to translate the entire form for you - maybe they'll just give up! Have you spoken to your Prefectural Advisor - I'm sure you're not the first person in your prefecture to have felt this way. Good luck.

heatherG
June 4th, 2007, 14:47
the fact that washing your hands with soap after going to the toilet is something that you do in foreign countries where peolpe are dirtier

Um are you f*cking kidding me? Reconsidering JET . . . I can handle the completely different language system and the lack of clarity around my work responsibilities, but lack of handwashing is more than completely gag-worthy.

psychohistoric
June 4th, 2007, 14:55
the fact that washing your hands with soap after going to the toilet is something that you do in foreign countries where peolpe are dirtier

Um are you f*cking kidding me? Reconsidering JET . . . I can handle the completely different language system and the lack of clarity around my work responsibilities, but lack of handwashing is more than completely gag-worthy.

Get used to it. I'm the only male teacher I've ever seen wash their hands after using the toilet. Even after they drop a duece the most I've seen from them is a quick rinse and back to work.

mecro13
June 4th, 2007, 15:25
its good for building up the immune system, the more bugs you get exposed to the greater your resistance to them in the long run

although not washing your hands with soap after going to the bathroom is gross

dombay
June 4th, 2007, 15:39
Have you spoken to your Prefectural Advisor - I'm sure you're not the first person in your prefecture to have felt this way. Good luck.

Well Mr PA, what do you think? I know you're reading this.

Or even if I just went to the University in the city here and got it done there. I'd trust a doctor in the city more with privacy and cleanliness. Plus they have English speaking doctors. Biggest problem is that it rocks the boat too much in the office that i;m not getting it done at the local bumblefuck 1930s surgery by a doctor whose grandchildren I teach.

nothing123
June 4th, 2007, 17:16
Are you more worried about the cleanliness of the needles, or the blood they're extracting?

Sounds stupid, but if it were the latter then couldn't you just get a private test done before getting one done for your school?

That way, you know that if everything is in order you can just have the results transcript sent through to the school. If not, then just make up some excuse for not wanting the test done and you're golden.

Astrix
June 5th, 2007, 20:31
Dom, I just flat-out refused. I told them I would give them anything they wanted (saliva, urine, stool, tears, whatever), but I wouldn't give them blood. It's just not necessary. I think my supervisor got the impression that I didn't want to do the health check at all, so I haven't even seen the nurse since then.

Good luck

dombay
June 5th, 2007, 20:33
Cheers Astrix,

But you're going home. I wonder if that makes a difference ...

I have asked for the memo thing - looks like i'll have to translate the medical jargon myself. Nice.

shadowrook
June 5th, 2007, 21:51
Just say 難しいね when they ask you for blood. If you also look like you don't want to talk about it, that may be more than enough for them to leave you alone.

June 5th, 2007, 22:06
OK - so as your PA:

It's up to you what you do - we can chat about it, hold your hand through the process, etc, etc - but in the end the decision is up to you, as its your life.

I'd say you have to pick your battles. If you really think this one is worth fighting, go for it. If you don't, give up now - because you'll cause a big stink...

As for what the legal position is, I'm not sure off the top of my head, afaik they only have to test for TB - which they do with the x-ray. Did you refuse the x-ray? Also, if the test is mandatory and you don't do it and there's a problem someone other than you will get in trouble - I guess you'd be in trouble, too.

What is the outcome you want - no test, or the reasons for it explaining, and some reassurance about what's going on? Once you know what you want its much easier to go about getting it.

Your welcome to PM/email/phone me for less bland, more specic advise, if you want.

dombay
June 6th, 2007, 07:30
Cheers, Tom.

nothing123
June 6th, 2007, 07:35
I reckon just take a test with a private doctor, and advise your BOE/school on the results if all is well.

Good luck whatever the outcome, dom.

Pandilex
June 6th, 2007, 10:58
You're such a dumbass, just get it done. Blood tests are very expensive and the chance to get one for free not only saves you money but is invaluable in detecting early signs of disease.

Go buy your own needle if you're upset about it.

dombay
June 6th, 2007, 11:01
Pandi - its free where I come from too.

Plus its clean, confidential and professional.

Here ...

Pandilex
June 6th, 2007, 11:03
Where do you come from where it's free?

June 6th, 2007, 11:10
Dombay, ift its the clenliness and the confidentuality then:

- You could explain about your horror of needles, and that you need to KNOW its clean - see them take it out of the packet, etc, etc. This could work - your not refusing the test itself, you just want to make sure its done in an ok way.

- Confidentiality is compleately different in Japan. Even if you go to the city and have it done at a hopsital there, there's still a chance that the other teachers will know the result. (Confidentiality is within the group, not the individual over here).

dombay
June 6th, 2007, 11:14
Where do you come from where it's free?

Australia.

It's free here too if you go to Okayama University.

It probably is if you to a university around where you are too?

Hyakuman
June 6th, 2007, 12:59
Interesting about food hygiene practices - Japan has one of the lowest incidences of food poisoning and hep A in the world, but sometimes I wonder how they do it.

I got food poisoning from this French restaurant in Ginza that I took my girlfriend to at Christmas! I had to choke back my own vomit twice on the train ride home -- the Yamanote line!

Saben
June 9th, 2007, 12:03
Well, they probably just want to do a blood test so they can find out your blood type and tell you that you are easily iritated. You should just jump the gun and say you're AB- and that's why you hate them all.

kiwimusume
June 9th, 2007, 13:53
Is it sad that I kind of want to get my blood type tested so that I don't have to keep saying "Um...I don't know?" when people ask me what my blood type is?

mecro13
June 9th, 2007, 14:09
NOT AT ALL - i've wanted a blood test for the last few years just because of that

June 9th, 2007, 14:31
Heh, when I finally got mine tested I was in shock. All those Japanese girls who guessed my blood type were right.
Creepy~~