PDA

View Full Version : Linguistics/Translation Course Reviews?

AtomicYak
June 4th, 2007, 09:46
Has anyone taken either the Translation & Interpretation Course or the Linguistics and Pedagogy Course? How were they? Would you recommend the one you did?

mteacher80
June 4th, 2007, 10:26
yeah justin let me knwo if you try for either of those, i was thinking about it too,,,,,however i bombed the translation tape last year and i am not sure if i can even get in this year.....maybe i will do the advance books too....dunno yet :?:

wicket
June 4th, 2007, 14:44
Can you do the translation course at the same time as the Advanced course, or do you need to finish the latter before tackling the former?

AtomicYak
June 4th, 2007, 16:02
You can only take one course at a time, but taking the advanced course is not a pre-requisite to taking either of the two more advanced courses. That being said, you have to take a test to get into the Linguistics course or the Translation course. Only 150 people get into each. If you think you are around level 2 and can get into the course, it wouldn't hurt to apply for it. There is a box you can check that says you are willing to take the advanced course if you don't get into the other course on the application.

sobakasu21
June 4th, 2007, 23:58
Are these JET courses?

Jill
June 5th, 2007, 02:55
Yes, they're part of the language courses that are offered by CLAIR. It's all probably in your GIH or something. ;) In fact, it looks like page 83 - on the PDF at least.

saritajuanita
June 5th, 2007, 03:32
how long do these courses last?

sobakasu21
June 5th, 2007, 03:50
How much do they cost?

Jill
June 5th, 2007, 06:20
I believe you don't have to pay anything, except perhaps for posting your work in. The regular language classes start from TO - you get the "course guide book" there. They last six months - start in October/November, go till about May - so that's basically your whole school year. The special classes (Linguistics & Pedagogy, Translation & Interpretation) aren't normally open to first years, but when recontracting comes along...

Seriously, all this information is available from the JET Programme website or your GIH (http://www.jetprogramme.org/documents/pubs/GIH_e_07.pdf), kids.

Look, there's even a website just for the language courses (http://www.knowledgewing.com/jet/jet_english_data/index.html).

ETA: Sorry, AY, for the thread-jack. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done them, as well.

dombay
June 5th, 2007, 07:23
They're free, they only cost your soul and personality which they suck out of you like a demontor.

They're just books with a CD.

You have to do a test every month and send it in.

See "Open this Immediately" in the Japanese forum.

Jill
June 5th, 2007, 07:32
They're free, they only cost your soul and personality which they suck out of you like a demontor.

:lol:

Yes, I forgot to mention that point.

Rakasha
June 11th, 2007, 17:22
So, from those who have done the linguistic component, does it focus of Japanese social linguistics or linguistic in general?

and was it any good?

cosmic
June 12th, 2007, 19:01
The Translation Course was pretty good. Well, the seminar was what's good about it. Your CO must be willing to pay for your attendance to the one-week seminar, you cannot pay yourself (unless they accept an underhanded agreement with you, and people have done that). The higher level you are the more you'd get out of it, I kinda regret doing it last year instead of this year.