View Full Version : Border Security Changes in Japan

dombay
June 19th, 2007, 20:04
Stolen with love from Debito and BD.

http://nettv.gov-online.go.jp/prg/prg1203.html

Snort :lol:

chibitotoro
June 19th, 2007, 22:15
Sweet Jesus, that was a stupid, tasteless video.

Jill
June 19th, 2007, 23:15
Well, at least they'll be able to identify my body by fingerprints, when I'm murdered and buried in a bath tub of sand by a foreign terrorist!

...Wait a second... :?

Hyakuman
June 20th, 2007, 03:51
good for them... something we need in north america too! of course we have too many douchebags preaching human rights and privacy concerns that this kind of system will never work.

i have no doubt in my mind that they will put this system to good use, because there IS an increasing amount of foreigner crime in japan (i don't doubt this information either with some people i've seen walking the streets). looks like i won't be wearing my glasses when i enter japan now :wink:

say cheese! :D

Hyakuman
June 20th, 2007, 03:52
oh yeah, i don't know about the rest of you. but i thought the information chick was kinda cute! hehe :smt005

Jill
June 20th, 2007, 04:17
good for them... something we need in north america too! of course we have too many douchebags preaching human rights and privacy concerns that this kind of system will never work.

Er, did I miss the sarcasm? Please tell me that I did.

Marrissey
June 20th, 2007, 04:48
I was expecting the new measures to involve anal probing. Thumb prints and a photo I can do! Would imagine that having the poor passport lady explain to each new arrival how to operate the machine is gonna cause a lot of hold ups though.

(the three 'visitors' in that video rival Josh from "Life in Japan" - I may not be able to control my own neanderthal cries of "I didn't know!" and "SO, THE SECURITY OF JAPAN MEANS SAFETY FOR US!!!")

kurara
June 20th, 2007, 05:44
Yeah, I don't see the problem in implimenting these procedures. As Marrissey said, I was expecting anal probing - now THAT is invasion of privacy!

Timoshi
June 21st, 2007, 14:16
Just remember guys. Your taxes will be paying for this stupid 'thing'. Perhaps more offensively, current JETs, your taxes paid for this stupid video.

Doomer
June 21st, 2007, 14:41
Just remember guys. Your taxes will be paying for this stupid 'thing'. Perhaps more offensively, current JETs, your taxes paid for this stupid video.

I dont pay taxes!! :P

dombay
June 21st, 2007, 14:44
Neither do I.

I pay resident tax, or will next year, but that goes to fund our non-existant street lights and my own job.

tash_bert
June 21st, 2007, 14:47

I dont pay taxes!! :P

Ah, you beat me to it!

Timoshi, JETs don't pay taxes.

Timoshi
June 21st, 2007, 14:48
According to the GIH, Australians pay tax but they make up for it by paying us extra so our final paycheck is the same as other JETs.

Also I'm sure there is a VAT, GST or something like that in place too...

tash_bert
June 21st, 2007, 14:51
According to the GIH, Australians pay tax but they make up for it by pay us extra so our final paycheck is the same as other JETs.

They shuffle money in the name of tax, sure. But this does not actually reduce the amount of money each JET receives in a given month. So, you're not really paying taxes.

Timoshi
June 21st, 2007, 15:00
Japanese Income taxes are low regardless... but JETs definitely pay tax i.e. on goods and services, import duties, etc.

dombay
June 21st, 2007, 15:07
We also pay residents tax to our city which has just gone up! Hooray!

Autolycus91982
June 21st, 2007, 15:52
I smell Emmy!

tash_bert
June 21st, 2007, 15:54
Japanese Income taxes are low regardless... but JETs definitely pay tax i.e. on goods and services, import duties, etc.

Yeah VAT etc (sales tax) but not an income tax as such, which is what people usually think of when you talk about paying tax.
Residents tax? I dunno, I've been here 3 years and never been asked to pay it. I got a bill for some sort of local tax a few months ago which my office took care of as JETs don't pay it.

Fin
June 21st, 2007, 16:45
How exaclty does taking my fingerprints keep me safe? :?:

Because if my fingerprints are trained in tracking and capturing Al-Qaeda operatives, intercepting weapon deliveries to Jemaah Islamiyah, and uncovering Abu Sayyaf plots, I really feel that I should have been informed of that...

Of course, that information was probably classified :P

samesong
June 21st, 2007, 16:53
Did anyone notice they dubbed over the black girl's voice? Her lips don't match what she's saying at all.

And that old guy in the striped shirt is the douchiest person I've ever laid eyes upon.

Autolycus91982
June 21st, 2007, 17:04
I want him to be new best friend.

dai-chan
June 22nd, 2007, 02:27
I think watching that video is more painful than the invasion of privacy consisting of (oooh) fingerprinting and photographs being taken. Though it is a little big brother-esque.

June 22nd, 2007, 10:54
part of me's going, yeah, that's a sensible idea, it would be an easy way to keep track of security issues and such, and would make interpol's job so much easier. I'm all for it.

and the other part of me's going WTF?!?! "you are evil gaijin and so we must place tracking collars on you to ensure you don't bring evil to our prefectly ordered and crime-free country."

hmm... which mind should I go with?

az
June 22nd, 2007, 12:07
go with evil- it's always more fun

kurara
June 22nd, 2007, 13:26
Did anyone notice they dubbed over the black girl's voice? Her lips don't match what she's saying at all.

I don't think she was speaking English in the first place - just like the Japanese girl.

psychohistoric
June 22nd, 2007, 14:36

I don't think she was speaking English in the first place - just like the Japanese girl.

I thought that at first, too, but then I looked closer; she's speaking English. Only, it's black English and we all know how black English terrifies Japanese people.

Timoshi
June 22nd, 2007, 15:25
Did anyone notice they dubbed over tha black bitchez voice? Her lips dont match whizzay shes doggy stylin' at all.

I dont thizzay she was speak'n English in tha first place - just like tha Japanese G-to-tha-izzirl.

I thought that at first, too, but tizzy I looked motherfucka shes blunt-rollin' English . You gotta check dis shit out yo. Only, its blizzay English n we all know how black English terrifies Japanese people.

Is this what you mean by 'black English' :P ?

(Gizoogle Rocks!)