PDA

View Full Version : SHS Prefectual Orientation Seminar, help

psychohistoric
July 12th, 2007, 09:40
SHS ALTs, you sweet, sexy bastards,

I will be co-presenting the "Teaching SHS" seminar at our prefuctual orientation for the new ALTs in about a month. I have received a copy of the presentations from the last two years so I have a pretty good idea of what is expected, and I've drawn up an outline of my own. What I'm interested in from you is this; was there any SHS teaching issues or information that you wish had been addressed when you first arrived, but was never covered? I know a lot of things are very school specific, but if you can think of anything, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

-psycho

P.S.
I will also be co-presenting the "Japanese Office Culture and Etiquette" seminar (I know, I have no life) and would appreciate any input you have regarding that topic as well.

Ini
July 12th, 2007, 09:49
Is it still illegal even though she looks 21?

amagaeru
July 12th, 2007, 10:00
I wish I'd been told that most of my job is to motivate students, and I wish I'd been given some specific motivation strategies beyond handing out candy/stamps/stickers/hanko marks/etc.

July 12th, 2007, 11:04
It appears that if you are a SHS ALT in Hiroshima-ken your job may actually be to just keep your desk occupied. So maybe try mention what you can do if you are in this situation so that you don't contemplate jumping off the school roof.

psychohistoric
July 12th, 2007, 12:05
psychohistoric,

Did I meet you at the scottish orientation in 2004?

No. I'm not Scottish and I got here last year. Why? Profile pic remind you of someone?

Alex_X
July 12th, 2007, 12:32
I think in any case, the good thing to do is to have a good sit down and chat with whoever is your charge and ask them specifically what they expect out of you, what they want, what your role in the classroom is, etc. ESIFD so it is best to ask right away instead of relying on the JET website job description. 8)

July 12th, 2007, 13:48
I should keep my desk occupied, but really can't be bothered. I have a phone. Use it if you need me.

That is what I want to tell them! Like I have my phone, I will be cleaning my house, washing dishes Call if you need me!

I think in any case, the good thing to do is to have a good sit down and chat with whoever is your charge and ask them specifically what they expect out of you, what they want, what your role in the classroom is, etc. ESIFD so it is best to ask right away instead of relying on the JET website job description.

Supervisor: We need a token gaijin to keep that desk warm. You are to be visible when there are PTA events, but invisible at all other times.
Narnia: Do I get to teach?
Supervisor: Once a month, but only so we can say you teach.

dombay
July 12th, 2007, 16:34
Paul? I thought you were Irish?

wicket
July 12th, 2007, 17:25
Paul? I thought you were Irish?
Well, Northern Irish. Better accent. And hardy stock - Anthrim coast and all that. Typhoons mean nothing to young Paul.

Alex_X
July 13th, 2007, 07:24
I should keep my desk occupied, but really can't be bothered. I have a phone. Use it if you need me.

That is what I want to tell them! Like I have my phone, I will be cleaning my house, washing dishes Call if you need me!

I think in any case, the good thing to do is to have a good sit down and chat with whoever is your charge and ask them specifically what they expect out of you, what they want, what your role in the classroom is, etc. ESIFD so it is best to ask right away instead of relying on the JET website job description.

Supervisor: We need a token gaijin to keep that desk warm. You are to be visible when there are PTA events, but invisible at all other times.
Narnia: Do I get to teach?
Supervisor: Once a month, but only so we can say you teach.

But at least you will find out right away and won't get frustrated when you don't understand. :cry:

dombay
July 13th, 2007, 07:45
What I always love everytime i go to these things is the 'how to team teach' presentations. I find them especially useful because they're the same everytime. Really gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Maybe if you could bring a few JTEs along to nod and smile when you talk about 'better communication between JTEs and ALTs' or 'How not to make your ALT a human tape recorder'. It makes everyone feel better for 5 minutesb efore they go back to work to be a human tape recorder.

Anyway yea, don't scare them, but be realistic and original. If they want to know any of the random bullshit they hear at evry conference they go to, never fear they'll be hearing it quite a few times before they go home at other conferences and it's probab;y all in that big pile of shit of manuals we got in Tokyo that i've never cracked the cover of but live under my desk at work?

psychohistoric
July 13th, 2007, 10:40
Thanks, Dom, and I'm with you on all that, but I am not presenting the Team-Teaching seminar where an ALT and JTE give a class demonstration and talk about the JTE-ALT relations and making creative use of the ALT. I'm presenting the Teaching SHS seminar with another SHS ALT, and we'll be going over the practicle side of being a SHS ALT; how to plan lessons with or without a text book, what your specific role will probably be in the office and in the classroom, who to go to for problems in your school, making use of your down-time, etc. I do plan on being as honest with them as possible. I, too, have found the vast majority of the conferences I've attended in Japan to be repetitive and utterly useless, and I intend to make a more realistic and useful presentation, which is why I'm asking you guys (the actual ALTs) for input rather than going to the JTEs or PAs. Thanks, everyone, for the comments so far. I've got about a month before the orientation, so keep them coming.