PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about cities

frostkaiser
July 24th, 2007, 14:38
I know, its a really subjective question, but to anyone to really likes living in a big Japanese city or is psyched about heading to one for a placement, what is the draw? Is it that you've lived in one your whole life and can't imagine living anywhere with less than a million people? Do you consider having lots of clubs and bars in walking distance an acceptable trade off for breathing clean, fresh air? :?

jacqui
July 24th, 2007, 14:39
you know there are about a hundred threads about this already, right?

frostkaiser
July 24th, 2007, 14:41
Unfortunately the search function never returns decent results for me.

July 24th, 2007, 14:44
Unfortunately the search function never returns decent results for me.

Maybe you are not searching correctly :roll: Or go to the many inaka threads

Alex_X
July 24th, 2007, 14:50
Ha! yeah, just search for inaka and placement and you should find them!

b.limey
July 24th, 2007, 15:08
Do you consider having lots of clubs and bars in walking distance an acceptable trade off for breathing clean, fresh air? :?

Yes. Clubs, bars, shops, public transport, a variety of restaurants, and the ability to choose acquaintances from a wide enough selection of people that there's bound to be more than one cool one - all factors I will happily trade clean air for.

Hyakuman
July 24th, 2007, 15:51
I don't really see why this subject has to be beaten to death over and over again. To each his own, I say! :smt008

wicket
July 24th, 2007, 16:19
Both are great! I only asked for Osaka this time because I've already lived in the inaka, and I wanted to try something completely different.
Having said that, living here it's sometimes easy to forget I'm in a foreign country, and I miss the everyday events of inaka life and really feeling part of a community...
Being able to get whatever I want any time I want is some compensation, but then, I can have that when I get back to Australia. I think going for something the opposite of what you're accustomed to is a great idea.

kiwimusume
July 24th, 2007, 20:59
I don't really see why this subject has to be beaten to death over and over again. To each his own, I say! :smt008

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

dombay
July 25th, 2007, 02:07
ok i promise to shut up this time.

kotatsu-sama
July 25th, 2007, 02:17
Both are great! I only asked for Osaka this time because I've already lived in the inaka, and I wanted to try something completely different.
Having said that, living here it's sometimes easy to forget I'm in a foreign country, and I miss the everyday events of inaka life and really feeling part of a community...
Being able to get whatever I want any time I want is some compensation, but then, I can have that when I get back to Australia. I think going for something the opposite of what you're accustomed to is a great idea.

Wicket, you probably already answered my question way back when somewhere within this board, but where did you live your first time on the JET program? Did you only do it a year too at that time?

Himawari
July 25th, 2007, 09:54
The best part of cities is young people. Attractive, healthy people with whom you may have mutual interests. In my area, people get the hell out of here as soon as they graduate high school and don`t come back for at least a decade or two. Most of the population is old folks, and the stores and services available reflect that.

jumbo_prawns
July 25th, 2007, 10:13
f*ck the clean air. I would love the comforts and amenities of big-city life. Inaka isn't all clean air and rice fields; it's mostly mosquitos and senior citizens.

jack_zuta
July 25th, 2007, 10:58
f*ck the clean air. I would love the comforts and amenities of big-city life. Inaka isn't all clean air and rice fields; it's mostly mosquitos and senior citizens.

There's clean air in the inaka? Most of it reeks of the stench of agriculture (and worse). The places in Japan with "clean air" in my experience are the totally uninhabited parts.

occidental_xiaojie
July 25th, 2007, 12:43
The best part of cities is young people. Attractive, healthy people with whom you may have mutual interests. In my area, people get the hell out of here as soon as they graduate high school and don`t come back for at least a decade or two. Most of the population is old folks, and the stores and services available reflect that.

Exactly. :cry: :cry: :cry:

wicket
July 25th, 2007, 13:01
Wicket, you probably already answered my question way back when somewhere within this board, but where did you live your first time on the JET program? Did you only do it a year too at that time?
I was in Toyama prefecture from 1994-1996, in a small town called Inami, which is now part of Nanto "city".

josy
July 25th, 2007, 16:07
Or you could get a city that has massive parks and easy access to the inaka. :)

(best of both worlds)

Phil
July 25th, 2007, 16:42
well i might actually care a bit more if i havent lived in a big city my whole life, and even in japan, i lived in osaka for a year..

so trying out the inaka will be totally new and welcome to me..

"well just to solve all my problems to get out of drugs,
..ive had the college,ive had enough of that, ive had the earning the money, and the material trip, i just decided i will find a new way of life..so i took off on my bicycle."

abbajen
July 26th, 2007, 04:00
I'm a Group B person, so I'm not there yet. :)

I didn't ask for anything and got Kyoto City. Now that I know that there's a decent amount of vegetarian and vegan food there, I am thrilled. I also have fairly inexpensive, nice and convenient housing. I'm happy with it cause I didn't want to have to get a car and drive. I live in a small borough/town outside of Pittsburgh right now, so I'm kinda scared about there being really nasty pollution, but people think Pittsburgh's polluted horribly and I've never noticed.

So basically, I'm happy about being placed in the city cause I can walk to my school in under ten minutes, I can walk to the supermarket, two department stores, bunches of other stores, some restaurants, etc, and my fellow JET at my school's a vegetarian too so she'll be able to help me out on that front. Also, I'm close to a bunch of historical stuff since Kyoto was the capital of Japan for so long.

But really, I think I'd have been just as happy in a small town if I was able to not have a car and get to the store and my school, since I lived 21 years of my life car-less in a small, 1 square mile town that's dry - no alcohol here, I have to drive like 10 minutes to get to the liquor store, or walk about 15-20 for a shitty bar - filled with old people and shuts down at 8 pm.

mteacher80
July 26th, 2007, 09:13
hey where in kyoto you placed??? just wondering, loads of us shiga jets head to kyoto almost everyweekend for different shit, and its always cool to meet new people!

Alex_X
July 26th, 2007, 09:16

I didn't ask for anything and got Kyoto City. Now that I know that there's a decent amount of vegetarian and vegan food there, I am thrilled. I also have fairly inexpensive, nice and convenient housing. I'm happy with it cause I didn't want to have to get a car and drive. I live in a small borough/town outside of Pittsburgh right now, so I'm kinda scared about there being really nasty pollution, but people think Pittsburgh's polluted horribly and I've never noticed.

So basically, I'm happy about being placed in the city cause I can walk to my school in under ten minutes, I can walk to the supermarket, two department stores, bunches of other stores, some restaurants, etc, and my fellow JET at my school's a vegetarian too so she'll be able to help me out on that front. Also, I'm close to a bunch of historical stuff since Kyoto was the capital of Japan for so long.

But really, I think I'd have been just as happy in a small town if I was able to not have a car and get to the store and my school, since I lived 21 years of my life car-less in a small, 1 square mile town that's dry - no alcohol here, I have to drive like 10 minutes to get to the liquor store, or walk about 15-20 for a shitty bar - filled with old people and shuts down at 8 pm.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I hate you. :smt006

C-dub_PDX
July 26th, 2007, 10:40

So Right.

kiwimusume
July 26th, 2007, 12:53
So Right.

Your icon is making me giggle way too much...

occidental_xiaojie
July 26th, 2007, 20:21

So Right.

DITTO. Don't even try to tell us you'd have been 'just as happy' since, 1) You'll never really know and 2) Maybe you're some kind of really special isolation/lack of friends/lack of fun/lack of gym/I pay high rent even though i am in the inaka/I pay high transport costs to get to anything/ etc etc-loving type person, but, I doubt it.

Alex_X
July 27th, 2007, 07:50
:lol:

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 09:09
Holy shit people, get off her case! She got a good deal - huzzuh, who cares? You'll never meet her, and just 'cause you're bitter doesn't entail you to go "Yeah well shut up you'll never know the raw end of it!!" Keee-ryst!

josy
July 27th, 2007, 09:21
I'm happy things

So Right.

DITTO. Don't even try to tell us you'd have been 'just as happy' since, 1) You'll never really know and 2) Maybe you're some kind of really special isolation/lack of friends/lack of fun/lack of gym/I pay high rent even though i am in the inaka/I pay high transport costs to get to anything/ etc etc-loving type person, but, I doubt it.

occidental!! dude why all the harshness!!

abbajen- you're placement sounds awesome!! I hope you have a fantastic time!! (We're all neighbors-ish so don't let occidental's outburst put you off...she's a sweetie really!)

(yay for KateW.)

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 09:24

Well, from any angle you look at it she has one of the very best placements on the whole programme.

To waltz in here and talk about it with indifference is asking for a bit of a wrist slap, if you ask me...

kiwimusume
July 27th, 2007, 10:22

Well, from any angle you look at it she has one of the very best placements on the whole programme.

To waltz in here and talk about it with indifference is asking for a bit of a wrist slap, if you ask me...

How do you know? Do you know every aspect of her placement? And "best" is so relative anyway. It may be best for someone who loves cities, but if someone hates cities then it's obviously not going to be the best for them, is it?

As for the indifference, it sounds like she genuinely didn't care whether she got city or country. Didn't she say she lived in the country all her life?

I think this is more a case of people's green-eyed monster than any genuine obnoxiousness on aj's part.

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 10:29
[Kyoto city (and thus Kansai) + inexpensive housing + walk to school] > 95% of Jet placements

Kyoto is hardly the screaming metropolis that is Osaka, so even if someone hates cities, it's still not too bad. (Plus, if she wants to stay veggie she's going to be WAY thankful she's in a decent sized city.)

Besides, all I was saying is that for her to talk so flippantly about such a highly prized placement warranted a slap on the wrist. Not like I said I hated her or anything.

:roll:

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 10:33
Besides, all I was saying is that for her to talk so flippantly about such a highly prized placement warranted a slap on the wrist. Not like I said I hated her or anything.

:roll:

I find it amusing that you think *anything* warrants you giving *anybody* a 'slap on the wrist' around here. Or at all. Full of ourselves, much?

Alex_X
July 27th, 2007, 10:44

I agree.

Oh people, don't take it so seriously! I am sure we are all happy for that person getting what sounds like a great placement. If we tease by saying "no, I don't think you really would have been just as happy with an inaka placement because your place sounds like teh shite", it is all in good fun. No biggie.

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 10:50
Good grief!

Perhaps I used an insufficient number of emoticons to convey my aimed-for light tone, but I rather thought 'slap on the wrist' had the right level of levity to begin with.

:wink: :D :lol: :smt006 :smt008

As to your point about *anything* warranting action - well clearly there are LOTS of things that could be typed here that would be deserving of rebuke.

abbajen's comments were, I felt (and so evidently, did a bunch of other people) , ever so slightly crass, so I thought an ever so gentle remark involving wrist slapping would be in order.

And yes, I'm plenty full of myself. And with good reason. :smt019

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 10:55
Feh, whatever. If you guys wanna go around with 'holier than thou' attitudes delivering 'wrist slaps' to happy new JETs, you go for it. Let me know how your liver is doing when you start replacing people with alcohol, after they stop calling you up to do shit for fear of being admonished over simple pleasures. :P

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 11:58
'holier than thou'

:smt006

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 12:04
:kaosotnpflowerhat1:

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 12:24
Im a veggie in the inaka B.limey! It can be done.

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 12:37

I didn't know you were a fellow veggie!

While I don't deny it can be done, I'm betting it's an enormous pain in the arse!

It's certainly arse-pain enough in a city!

kiwimusume
July 27th, 2007, 12:43
Besides, all I was saying is that for her to talk so flippantly about such a highly prized placement warranted a slap on the wrist.

I don't really understand this. How was she supposed to talk about it? Was she supposed to go "Oh wowz look at me, I have teh awesomest placement in teh whole of Japan!!!" Or was she supposed to, like, apologise for having it better than most other JETs in terms of where she is living?

And Alex, I know you and C-dub_PDX were saying it in fun, so don't worry, I wasn't having a go at you guys. :)

occidental_xiaojie
July 27th, 2007, 12:46
Well, I didn't mean to be seem mean. I felt the :smt006 modified the 'we hate you' remark to a sort of joking. I don't mean it to come off as a personal attack, I'm just being honest. I think it really is best to not be too flip about how great your placement is when it really is great. She's lucky, good for her, she really doesn't have to worry about the things I mentioned.

I clearly also should have included some kind of smily emoticons I guess, so that I too could convey a certain lightness...

Abbajen, I hope you didn't take any ill will personally - it's true, we are nearly neighbors and please know you are welcome at my place anytime. I have plenty of inaka for you...

Anyway, I think it's worth noting that there are other people on this thread who really do live in the inaka who do not seem to think my remarks were totally off-track. I think that says something right there.

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 12:50
Or was she supposed to, like, apologise for having it better than most other JETs in terms of where she is living?

Heh - that would be the british thing to do... :wink:

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 12:53

While I don't deny it can be done, I'm betting it's an enormous pain in the arse!

It's certainly arse-pain enough in a city!

I'm a fake vegetarian. I eat fish. I get most of my nutrients from hard liquor though. If you'd seen my town you'd understand.

occidental_xiaojie
July 27th, 2007, 12:57
I'm a fish-eating vegetarian too. Sadly, I am only inaka enough to very occasionally have farm veggies given to me and certainly not city enough (as we have established) to have Options.

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 13:04
I love the free veges.

Plus being Okayama we get super tasty peaches at the moment in the staffroom and in winterish time we get mikan too.

My town as a sushi restaurant and that's it. Its apparently award winning sushi though? I am going to go and find out tonight.

Marrissey
July 27th, 2007, 13:40
Taane loves sushi...

kiwimusume
July 27th, 2007, 14:35
Taane loves sushi...

Let us know if the sushi in your town is unspeakable, dombay! :P

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 14:51
Who is taane?

occidental_xiaojie
July 27th, 2007, 16:14
I love the free veges.

Plus being Okayama we get super tasty peaches at the moment in the staffroom and in winterish time we get mikan too.

My town as a sushi restaurant and that's it. Its apparently award winning sushi though? I am going to go and find out tonight.

We don't have any kind of fruit here. : ( I've just received a few things when I've been out to the superinaka schools. I am kind of in the mountains so until I get out to some of the schools I'm not really in an agricultural area.

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 16:28
I live in a tiny little bit of land between the moutains and the sea but we still get it.

Its because we have to import teachers from around the ken. I'm the only one who actually lives here. They bring stuff :D

kiwimusume
July 27th, 2007, 16:41
Who is taane?

Unspeakable Man from the JET video.

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 16:48
Oh i stopped watchign that after wetting myself with Jeremy from Auckland.

kiwimusume
July 27th, 2007, 17:03
Oh i stopped watchign that after wetting myself with Jeremy from Auckland.

So did I, but people's comments about Taane sounded too good to resist.

dobharrison
July 28th, 2007, 00:37

Neither of you are real veggies, though. :x

killtheotaku
July 28th, 2007, 00:51
what is the draw?

sex?

Phil
July 28th, 2007, 01:06
sex can be had anywhere

dombay
July 28th, 2007, 10:55
The sushi was unspeakable.

Also Dob, I thought you had left us?

dobharrison
July 28th, 2007, 13:46
The sushi was unspeakable.

Also Dob, I thought you had left us?

I did, but I just can't stay away. :(

dombay
July 28th, 2007, 13:51
Yea you've got to be careful of this 'getting a life' caper or 'having work to do at work' - that can get pretty messy.

dobharrison
July 28th, 2007, 16:28
Yea you've got to be careful of this 'getting a life' caper or 'having work to do at work' - that can get pretty messy.

There's never been much chance of me getting a life, Dombay, so you're safe there. I do actually have work to do, though!

dombay
July 28th, 2007, 22:03
Even during summer?

I managed to make this summer not too bad with a combination of work trips and nenkyuu.

Otherwise I sit at work and study till my brain hurts then stare at the wall a bit interspersed with BD when it's working.

b.limey
July 30th, 2007, 08:42

Neither of you are real veggies, though. :x

I would be if it wasn't so fucking inconvenient in this country!

:evil:

dobharrison
July 30th, 2007, 15:34

Heh! Tell me about it! Okonomiyaki sauce is where I slip up...

occidental_xiaojie
July 30th, 2007, 17:27

Heh! Tell me about it! Okonomiyaki sauce is where I slip up...

Why, what's in Okonomiyaki sauce? Oh man, I bet I don't want to know.

dobharrison
July 30th, 2007, 22:41
Just the ever-present fish stock.

frankdux
August 13th, 2007, 11:44
to the original poster, i believe those of you placed in inaka that perhaps didn't want inaka but are now stuck in the middle of nowhere are finding ways to look on the positive side. but to go so far as to complain about how "horrible" it would be to get a city placement is just ridiculous. i got placed in a city of about 350,000 people with trains and the bullet train and quick access to tokyo. i teach in two inaka towns on opposite sides of the city i live in. so i get to live in somewhat of a real city and commute to inaka and i gotta say that living in the inaka towns would not be very fun. i smell cow crap right when i get off the train, and the heat and humidity somehow feels worse out there than in the city. also there are very few places to go and things to do.

i like my living arrangements a lot and my city is an actual city, and i don't mind commuting to my schools, but if i had to live in one of those small towns i'd be very miserable right now.

kiwimusume
August 13th, 2007, 12:14
to the original poster, i believe those of you placed in inaka that perhaps didn't want inaka but are now stuck in the middle of nowhere are finding ways to look on the positive side. but to go so far as to complain about how "horrible" it would be to get a city placement is just ridiculous.

I kind of got the impression some people were doing that, too. I know some people genuinely like their placement (and there are good inaka placements - I've got one) and/or prefer inaka, but some just seemed to me to be bashing city placements to make themselves feel better.

dombay
August 13th, 2007, 18:48
Some people are happier in cities some people are happier in the inaka.

Some city placements suck balls. A lot of them do. A lot of inaka placements suck balls.

Why do you assume that that for some people living in a city would or wouldn't suck, Frank? Your attitude really pisses me off because I live in the inaka and I like it here.

Your attitude suggests that because I live in the inaka I must be having a really shitty time here. I'm not.

Can you see how that would be insulting to a lot of people?

Edit: Kiwi and Frank, it works both ways. A lot of people have really shitty city placements in really shitty cities, but make themselves feel better by saying 'well at least I live in a city' - the logic is supremely retarded BOTH ways.

kiwimusume
August 14th, 2007, 10:47
Edit: Kiwi and Frank, it works both ways. A lot of people have really shitty city placements in really shitty cities, but make themselves feel better by saying 'well at least I live in a city' - the logic is supremely retarded BOTH ways.

It bugs me more when inaka people do it, though, because, on here at least, it seems more OK to bash cities than it is to bash the country. If someone started a post called "What's so great about the inaka?" saying "What is the draw? Do you consider having lots of pretty nature an acceptable tradeoff for having everything you need within walking distance and living near people your own age?" they'd be clubbed to death. And yet if it's the other way round then it seems to be OK, or more OK anyway. It's a bit of a double standard, and it kind of bugs me.

frankdux
August 14th, 2007, 14:34
Why do you assume that that for some people living in a city would or wouldn't suck, Frank? Your attitude really pisses me off because I live in the inaka and I like it here.

Your attitude suggests that because I live in the inaka I must be having a really shitty time here. I'm not.

I never assumed it would or wouldnt suck for anyone but MYSELF. I never said anyone else living in the inaka must be having a really shitty time. notice my use of the word 'I' in my original post.

to the original poster, i believe those of you placed in inaka that perhaps didn't want inaka but are now stuck in the middle of nowhere are finding ways to look on the positive side. but to go so far as to complain about how "horrible" it would be to get a city placement is just ridiculous. i got placed in a city of about 350,000 people with trains and the bullet train and quick access to tokyo. i teach in two inaka towns on opposite sides of the city i live in. so i get to live in somewhat of a real city and commute to inaka and i gotta say that living in the inaka towns would not be very fun. i smell cow crap right when i get off the train, and the heat and humidity somehow feels worse out there than in the city. also there are very few places to go and things to do.

i like my living arrangements a lot and my city is an actual city, and i don't mind commuting to my schools, but if i had to live in one of those small towns i'd be very miserable right now.

Timoshi
August 14th, 2007, 15:00
Ahem if I may...

I never assumed it would or wouldnt suck for anyone but MYSELF. I never said anyone else living in the inaka must be having a really shitty time. notice my use of the word 'I' in my original post.

to the original poster, i believe those of you placed in inaka that perhaps didn't want inaka but are now stuck in the middle of nowhere are finding ways to look on the positive side. but to go so far as to complain about how "horrible" it would be to get a city placement is just ridiculous . i got placed in a city of about 350,000 people with trains and the bullet train and quick access to tokyo. i teach in two inaka towns on opposite sides of the city i live in. so i get to live in somewhat of a real city and commute to inaka and i gotta say that living in the inaka towns would not be very fun. i smell cow crap right when i get off the train, and the heat and humidity somehow feels worse out there than in the city. also there are very few places to go and things to do .

As for the charge of making sweeping generalising statements I find you guilty as charged (by Dombay).

Speaking for myself, my inaka placement is great. It's in a traditional and pretty area and yet I can still go to the city on the weekends... so I get the best of both worlds.

keekers
August 14th, 2007, 15:20
My inaka town isn't so bad, it's close enough to Sapporo and some other cities so that I can get out on the weekends if I want to, but I think I'd still rather live in a city. Maybe I only feel that way because I'm used to city life though, and maybe in time the inaka will grow on me?

dorovar
August 14th, 2007, 15:54
Speaking for myself, my inaka placement is great. It's in a traditional and pretty area and yet I can still go to the city on the weekends... so I get the best of both worlds.

That's a +1 right there. I happen to like my new inaka placement, and living directly next to a bus stop that takes me directly to a station where the Shinkansen runs through is a sweet bonus.