PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition information in Japan

Boundless
July 26th, 2007, 11:54
I certain dietary concerns - mainly lactose intollerance - and I'm wondering about nutrition labels in Japan on their food. Is it mandatory like in the US? I'd assume it's mainly written in Japanese...but correct me if I'm wrong. I'll just have to find the Japanese name for lactic acid and MSG, etc.

I thought about this when looking at packages of Udon in my grocery - they had lactic acid in them, but I know that it can be made with only wheat flour, salt, and water - and I would assume that in restaurants it would be made that way (hopefully). But at least for groceries in Japan, I'd like to be able to know what I'm getting.

Thanks

b.limey
July 26th, 2007, 11:57
Pretty much everything has a label, yeah.

Prepare to become very very good at food kanji!

:?

Boundless
July 26th, 2007, 12:38
Thanks for the response. I have a while till I'll be a Jet..but my Kanji is going slowly..

Alex_X
July 26th, 2007, 12:54
I don't think they do have mandatory food labels like in the US. There doesn't seem to be a uniform label but many food products do have them.

skyboat
July 26th, 2007, 13:34
You're going to die and then ants will eat your body. No one will notice your absence until it comes time for you to pay residency tax. They will bill your parents.

Boundless
July 26th, 2007, 14:53
You're going to die and then ants will eat your body. No one will notice your absence until it comes time for you to pay residency tax. They will bill your parents.

:roll:

occidental_xiaojie
July 26th, 2007, 20:24
I don't think they do have mandatory food labels like in the US. There doesn't seem to be a uniform label but many food products do have them.

Yeah, what are the rules about this stuff? I'd really like to know. Sometimes, if the info isn't on the package, you can find it on the company's website.

abbajen
July 27th, 2007, 04:26

Yeah, what are the rules about this stuff? I'd really like to know. Sometimes, if the info isn't on the package, you can find it on the company's website.

I think it has to be available to the consumer - whether it's on the package, available through mail or a website doesn't matter. But, all the food products I've seen (and considering I used to work in a store, that's a lot!) there's really only 2 types of labels I've seen, and they're very uniform.

josy
July 27th, 2007, 11:00

sometimes it's nicer not to know that everything has sugar listed as the second or third ingredient!!

Boundless
July 27th, 2007, 11:04

sometimes it's nicer not to know that everything has sugar listed as the second or third ingredient!!

...Unless you have diabetes...

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 11:59

An excellent incentive to get those radicals memorised...

:wink:

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 12:37

You seem like a bit of a humorless cunt. Let me guess you like anime right? Moving along to some real advice, if you suffer some sort of disability and are unable to eat certain foods AND decide to move to a country where you dont speak the lingo and cant read the labels, well then, you pretty much deserve whatever comes your way.

Grow the fuck up and take your idiotic questions elsewhere as whatever's next on your list of need to know gibberish is not welcome here or anywhere else on the internet, maybe you should stick to checking with your anime club members who at the very least might be able to give you a convoluted and, more likely than not, very incorrect answer...

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 13:07
Holy crap skyboat, what the fuck crawled into your shorts and died?

Alex_X
July 27th, 2007, 13:20

Skyboat has always been like that. A very welcome addition to ITIL :smt006

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 13:33

I'm fine thankyou and you?

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 14:39

:lol: Rispec'.

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 15:13

:lol: Rispec'.

I just looked at your profile and it says your 23 but you look a lot older in the photo attached. Why is that? A bad pic? Lying about your age? Cancer of my eyes that only allows me to read numbers and not see photos clearly or vice versa? You age badly? Which is it?

P.S. I would still do you after a few drinks...even if you had been dead for a week, put on 400lb and stank of garlic...In sweet like that.

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 15:25
That's pretty lame conduct coming from a maths geek who doesn't have the balls to put his own pic online, eh skyboat?

:x

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 15:30
I think it's a combo of a not-great pic, along with the fact I'm 45 inside.

Sigh.

Ah well, at least my avatar isn't gaggingly emo.

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 15:38
That's pretty lame conduct coming from a maths geek who doesn't have the balls to put his own pic online, eh skyboat?

What are you talking about? Ive posted my picture numerous times.

For the record this is a tiny (cropped from a larger photo) picture of me;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/skyboat/9a48pe.jpg

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 15:40
I think it's a combo of a not-great pic, along with the fact I'm 45 inside.

Were you sexually abused as a child?

Ah well, at least my avatar isn't gaggingly emo.

Ummm have you looked at it lately?

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 15:43

What are you talking about? Ive posted my picture numerous times.

For the record this is a tiny (cropped from a larger photo) picture of me;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/skyboat/9a48pe.jpg

Actually thats a lie, and a pic of one of my emo mates. This is really the cropped picture;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/skyboat/Picture1-1.png

b.limey
July 27th, 2007, 15:49
I'm sceptical that that's really you.

Plus, I thought you'd be thinner somehow.

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 16:13
Oofta, skyboat, just save it. You're trying so hard and it's...just making me feel kinda bad.

Like, in a pity kind of way.

...in case that wasn't clear enough.

Yeah.

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 16:20
I'm sceptical that that's really you.

Plus, I thought you'd be thinner somehow.

Ummm why would you think I would be thinner? Im pretty sure that Ive mentioned in the past that I was a competitive powerlifter who lifted at 110kg (242lb)

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 16:21
Oofta, skyboat, just save it. You're trying so hard and it's...just making me feel kinda bad.

Like, in a pity kind of way.

...in case that wasn't clear enough.

Yeah.

So youre categorically stating as fact that you have never been sexually abused?

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 16:26
... oof ... ta?

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 16:31
... oof ... ta?

Its a racial slur. I demand that someone bans the monster!!!!

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 16:59
Yer damn right it's a racial slur.

I hate those effing oompaloompas.

And skyboat: yes, yes I am.

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 17:05
Yer damn right it's a racial slur.

I hate those effing oompaloompas.

And skyboat: yes, yes I am.

Victims of abuse often suppress memories...

KateW
July 27th, 2007, 17:08
:lol: Oh piss off you emo little shit-disturber.

skyboat
July 27th, 2007, 17:10
:lol: Oh piss off you emo little shit-disturber.

Was it your uncle?