PDA

View Full Version : Goddam Travelex!!! My worst nightmare

musasabi
July 26th, 2007, 23:06
I'm on the edge. Under duress, after calling 13 different banks, agreed to order yen online form AAA/Travelex. I ordered it overnights shipping, then they lost the order. I screamed at them yesterday, they apologized, and re-placed the order guaranteeing that it would be at my door before 10am this morning. Now it's 10am, no delivery, I call back and they say that "The courier did not get your cash to the delivery courier in time, so it has been sent back to the secret magical land of where yen cash is actually goddam stored." These FUCKERS charged my debit card days ago, took my $1500 cash instantly, and have produced nothing. I have to drive to the airport over an hour away to see off my sister in law being deployed to Iraq for 1 1/2 years, then come back home to finish packing, then drive the 5 hours out to NYC for orientation and subsequent departure, all with NO YEN and NO CASH left in my checking account. Is this a sign? Am I not meant to get on that flight to Japan? Man...the last 2 weeks have been shit. Ok, rant over. Yes I know there is a rants page, but I thought this might be useful to departing JETS ording money online. I knew that was a dumbass idea.

Boundless
July 27th, 2007, 00:50
That IS terrible. I hope things work out for you - and thanks for the warning.

abbajen
July 27th, 2007, 04:24
That blows. Why didn't you order through your bank? Mine (PNC Bank) can get it in 3 days - I had to order it twice cause I was unable to get traveler's checks in yen. Is there a way to get your money back and order through the bank at this point?

D-Lux
July 27th, 2007, 05:59
Why didn't you order through your bank?

after calling 13 different banks

Zee
July 27th, 2007, 06:37
Ugh, that majorly sucks! I hope you can find some resolution. :( Maybe ask to speak to one of their supervisors and go at it with them, though you may have already done that.

Just in case, would your parents mind spotting you some money that you can put in your checking and then you could withdraw from a postal atm? Or, as a last resort, cash advance on one of your credit cards once in Japan?

Kurara and I did well with Wells Fargo's online order (I think she did by phone while I did online) and you don't need to be a member- not that that helps you at the moment, but for others who are limited for options in their area.

Marrissey
July 27th, 2007, 07:31
Dude - I'm going through hell with banks and currency shops too. Still have no money either :(

Can only sympathise.

dombay
July 27th, 2007, 07:37
Wait wati, why would a bank not have yen?

Actually changing money at Travelex the other day in Hong Kong I asked for Yen and they said 'Chinese or Japanese' - they didn't understand why I laughed.

Anyway why don't you just get it here. There's yen everywhere here and theyll take pretty much any currency off your hands in exchange for it. You can even do it at the keio.

amagaeru
July 27th, 2007, 08:51
if you have time to make a quick stop today, go to Travelex (there might even be one in the airport where you're seeing your sis off) and ask them to return your 1500 dollars in USD traveler's checks. then change the traveler's checks to yen in the Keio Plaza hotel.

LaurenRox
July 27th, 2007, 10:10
No banks in California had yen either, except for Wells Fargo, which denied me entrance because I'm not a member.

Plenty of places have pesos, though! :-D

Hyakuman
July 28th, 2007, 02:46
thank god i live in canada where you can go to any of the 5 big banks and get yen in a matter of days... but what's even better is that we have a gazillion foreign exchange centres that will give you the money on the spot with 'haggleable' rates.

where did the states go wrong?! :?

C-dub_PDX
July 28th, 2007, 04:11
where did the states go wrong?! :?

I can't say for sure, but November 2000 is a good place to start.

abbajen
July 28th, 2007, 05:45

Oops - sorry bout that. :D

But really - what's up with all these banks not having yen? I can order any currency through my bank, and it's a small branch!

kiwimusume
July 28th, 2007, 09:12

Oops - sorry bout that. :D

But really - what's up with all these banks not having yen? I can order any currency through my bank, and it's a small branch!

I know!! My bank didn't have $2000 worth of yen lying around, but they ordered it for me and it was there in two days. What is WRONG with these banks?!

mteacher80
July 28th, 2007, 11:27
yeah i am from the mid west and went to my little podunk bank and asked for yen they got it to me in a week....california seems like it would have a lot of places that you could do it......weird

Zan
July 28th, 2007, 11:40
All the banks I went to class yen as 'exotic currency' so needed to order it in (which is why I ended up getting in online). Given how many currencies they no longer have to deal with because of the Euro, I say not stocking yen is just lazy :^_^:

skyboat
July 28th, 2007, 14:56
You sound like a right proper spastic who is getting exactly what you deserve...why not not come to Japan fucko, we already have enough of your kind here...

kakusei
July 28th, 2007, 16:41
for the yanks... use Chase... theyll get it to you next day, even if you are in Duluth, Minnesota.