PDA

View Full Version : okinawans - info please

wicket
August 1st, 2007, 13:55
I'll be flying into Naha at the end of the month. Hubby and his mate are off to the islands way down south, but they have a week, and I have 4 days.
I like photography, hiking, snorkeling, swimming, drinking and reading (not necessarily in that order).
Someone who knows the place, what's the island off to the west of Naha called? I heard it's only about an hour on a ferry. And is there good swimming/snorkeling there or anywhere else not too far from Naha.
Any advice much appreciated.

frostkaiser
August 1st, 2007, 14:16
Are you talking about Tokashiki-shima? I hear there is great snorkeling there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokashiki,_Okinawa

kakusei
August 1st, 2007, 14:35
its tokashiki-jima... there are two others that are a close 1-2 hour ferry ride away, but i was told that tokashiki jima was the best - and it certainly lived up to the hype... the beaches were absolutely gorgeous... water was so blue.

if you go, make sure to keep an eye on the bus schedules (they run a free bus service from the port to where the beaches are).... they don't run too often and if you dont make the bus back in time for the ferry(like i did) ur stuck on the island overnight.

jacqui
August 1st, 2007, 23:18
tokashiki is really really gorgeous! the new jets get taken there for a night every year.

you can do swimming and snorkelling on the mainland easily, but the amazing snorkelling beaches are crap for sunbathing on (cuz there are no beaches - usually just cliff drops into the ocean), and the really nice beaches are crap for snorkelling cuz they're roped off and usually quite crowded.

one good little island is called komaka - you can get a ferry from azama san san beach on the mainland (it's a wee way down south). the ferry leaves every half hour, and it takes about 20 minutes to get there. it's a really really tiny island, about 200m long, with nothing on it but a beach and a set of toilets. but the beach is gorgeous, and the snorkelling is absolutely incredible. best water, and most fish i've ever seen here!

jerico2k
August 9th, 2007, 09:17
tokashiki is really really gorgeous! the new jets get taken there for a night every year.

you can do swimming and snorkelling on the mainland easily, but the amazing snorkelling beaches are crap for sunbathing on (cuz there are no beaches - usually just cliff drops into the ocean), and the really nice beaches are crap for snorkelling cuz they're roped off and usually quite crowded.

That sounds awesome, I'm still amazed at how beautiful it is here. I'm really looking forward to tokashiki and partying w/ all the group A JETs again. Its going to be nice to relax and just speak some English, this week has been cultural overload. The only problem for me though is that I'm going to have to tack on an extra day each way for ferry travel. Do any okinawan JETs know of some decent Hotels that are kinda cheap? Or if any mainlanders want to take me in for the night, I'll make sure you get a free meal and a beer out of it :)

jacqui
August 9th, 2007, 13:12
you'd be welcome to stay at my place, but i have no idea how i'm getting there and back in the first place. my place is also quite far away from naha, so a pain in the arse. if you're content with that, then welcome in. :D

definitely looking forward to next weekend. we took the group B people out last night. they were really cool. yay tokashiki and beer dome!! :D

jerico2k
August 9th, 2007, 16:50
Thanks, Jacqui but it looks like I'll have to take a rain check. Apparently my supervisor worked something out w/ another JET who I'll stay the night with in Higashi, which is in the opposite direction from Naha. He didn't explain it that well though so I hope thats the case and I'm not homeless for the night.

Glad to hear that Group B is cool, can't wait to party w/ them!

Ahh and I totally forgot about beer dome! Woot!

August 10th, 2007, 11:27
hey jeriko, im becky, also an okinawa alt, hmmm, just thought id let you know that higashi is about a two hour drive from naha so it would be pretty incovenient for you to stay up there to get the 9am ferry to tokashikki from naha! buuuut, if you go to beerdome - everyone just gets totally merry and ends up crashing anywhere - i live right in central naha and 4 people stayed at my place unexpectadly last year - were all a super laid back bunch so therell deffo be somewhere you can stay! if you think your gonna get strandard - seek me out though, im one of the blondie ones and ill most probably be with jacqui and the other blondie ones!

jacqui
August 10th, 2007, 11:35
sent my details so you can call if there's a problem.

but yeh, don't worry. it's all really chilled!

i'll probably take a futon to becky's place next week, then there'll probably be around 5 or 6 of us staying there. :P

Doomer
August 13th, 2007, 09:57
I just got back from Okinawa! It was all killer except for the damn typhoon that rolled in the day after we got there...stayed at the Laguna Garden hotel...pool had a freaking water slide!!! anyways was tons of fun, consulate took the wifes immigration paperwork so a most excellent trip over all!

jacqui
August 13th, 2007, 10:34
the rain's been really strange. it definitely wasn't a typhoon, but it was very odd indeed!!

it very much sucked having to walk around in it too. :P

loads of the pools here have waterslides (if you can find a pool). wickedness. :D

jerico2k
August 13th, 2007, 14:34
The only pool I know of is the community one next door. Its really cool! Though, i couldn't find a slide :smt009

Thanks for all the support Becky and Jacqui. Still not sure whats going on w/ the ferry though. Seems tomorrow might be the last one for a week or something, so I might have to get on that one and go two days early if I'm to go at all.

Also, do 3 typhoons usually appear all at once, or is this just the apocalypse?

jacqui
August 13th, 2007, 15:38
as i said, this one's not a typhoon. :P

very strange weather, but not enough wind to be a typhoon.

there is a typhoon heading towards taiwan at the moment though, so the resulting waves and winds may be hitting us soon.

that's rather odd about the ferry. this site http://www.pref.okinawa.jp/summit/kanko/facts6.htm says that there're one or two ferries a day. is that because of the waves, then?

there's a wicked spa up in onna (about 40km north of naha) that has a bunch of different spa pools, a big swimming pool, a sauna and a waterslide. rocking. :D

August 13th, 2007, 15:46
i think he means the last one this week cos of the weather going crazy!

And everyone here says that the weather here has been caused by a typhoon, one in the area though not a direct hit. rain is forecast for tokashikki guys, and there is a typhoon predicted so it could be cancelled - boo hoo! x

jacqui
August 13th, 2007, 15:52
yeh, i know what he meant.

it was rainy and stormy, but it wasn't a typhoon, according to the japan meteorological agency. :P

it does indeed look like it's going to piss it down at tokashiki this weekend. :(

as i said, the rain and waves and crap that's coming up is probably going to be caused by the one heading to taiwan. it maaay hit ishigaki. again. :P

jerico2k
August 13th, 2007, 16:11
I meant the one thats coming this week. Everybody here doesn't think there ferry will run on wed. or for a week after even. They say theres a chance that it might not run tomorrow, and that I'll have to jump boat to Izena and hop a ferry from there to mainland.

Gah that would suck about tokashiki, are there any Naha backup plans? I loves me some partying :D

jacqui
August 13th, 2007, 16:43
eish bru. good luck with the travelling!

no back up plans as far as we know, but i'm sure someone will think of something and tell everyone at the beer dome or the conference.

August 14th, 2007, 10:19
Sorry Wicket, we totally derailed your thread! i would say rent a car and just go exploring - there is loads to see here and its all pretty much outdoors so get out there and explore! most of the good snorkelling is in the south, there is a beach called suicides which is best for surfing but a few miles from there is a great snorkelling beach, i just cant remember its name!

There are also some awesome cafes and restraunts you should check out in the south. Mibaru cafe, on mibaru beach is amazing, last time i went it had been totally typhooned but im pretty sure its running again now, mibaru beach is beatiful and totally peaceful. Also, go to kurukuma restraunt in the south - its thai food and pretty amazing - the view is spectacular, one of my friends, a jet in nagasaki said it was the best food shed eaten in Japan. But yeah, deffo rent a car - if you need any directions, numbers etc, just pm, i would be happy to help! x

wicket
August 14th, 2007, 10:25
Thanks Becky - I knew someone would get back on thread!
I'm not coming til Aug 29th, so hopefully the weather will be better by then.
I won't be able to rent a car coz my IDL has run out and I'm waiting on my Japanese licence; what's hitching like down in Okinawa?

jacqui
August 14th, 2007, 10:28
i second bex's notion of renting a car.

most of the cool stuff to see or do is either down south or up north, and both are a bitch to get to without a car. :)

August 14th, 2007, 10:29
hmmm, im a hitchhiking virgin im afraid! shame about the car, if your fit, id suggest renting a bike but there are some killer hills, i consider myself pretty fit but not sure if id want to bike around all day in this heat - az does it however!

Definitely check out the monorail and the busses then if you cant rent a car! ill see if there are any festivals on at that time and get back to ya, the festivals are pretty uique here and unlike the ones on the mainland. xx

edit: orion beer festival is on while you are here! its fab, lots and lots of beer and craziness and okinawa dancing and orion beer and what not - was super fun last year - youll get to see how laid back okinawans are!

http://www.ocvb.or.jp/card/en/0140000158.html

(orion beer is the beer made in okinawa - in the song - orion beeru - hai kampai!)

jacqui
August 14th, 2007, 10:37
ahhh damn.

yeh, idunno about hitchhiking. big problem i can see is that most cars going to the cool spots go on the expressway, where no pedestrians are allowed.

you know quite a lot of japanese though, so i reckon you could just go to the naha bus terminal and have a looksee what buses go where there.

what's taking your IDL so long? don't aussies usually get it same day?

jerico2k
August 14th, 2007, 11:13
The local Okinawans' all-time favorite beer company expresses its gratitude to all by serving fresh Orion Beer at a discounted price.

I know when my next mainland trip will be.