PDA

View Full Version : Reverse key money?

Trivial
August 1st, 2007, 16:35
I'm still in Shinjuku because I'm a Tokyo JET, and the superintendent of schools handed me a fat envelope with 150,000 円 in it, and told me that it was "Key Money." When I explained to him that I didn't have to pay any key money because my rent was already paid for, he said "Well, then spend it however you want." Funny, because none of the Tokyo JETs have to pay key money at all. Is it common practice to get a fat stack of cash as an up-front bonus from their prefecture, or did I win the JET lottery again?

Omega037
August 1st, 2007, 18:03
I wouldn't go spending it just yet. I have gotten "extra money" and then asked for it back before...

wicket
August 1st, 2007, 20:14
Yeah, settle down, tiger.
You will probably find that they will expect you to pay for the Keio Plaza, luggage transport and transport to your apartment - how much is that, anyway? - out of that money.
Definitely check before you start whooping it up!

dombay
August 1st, 2007, 21:26
I doubt it.

I wouldn't spend it just yet but i very much doubt they'll ask for it back.

Its definitely not unheard of to get unofficial bonuses on JET.

Boundless
August 2nd, 2007, 01:58
Save it for a few weeks unless you're starving or something. A little caution can save you a lot of trouble.

kotatsu-sama
August 2nd, 2007, 03:16
Yah, it would probably be best to hold on to it for at least 2 weeks or so. Then, if they still don't ask for it back, spend away!

Trivial, when are you leaving Shinjuku and going to your island? It's got to be nice to have an extra day or two in the big city.

MostHolyPorcine
August 2nd, 2007, 03:54
Does anyone else find themselves really, really hating Trivial?

I mean, christ, does your apartment have blowjobs on call, too?

I kid, I kid!

Trivial
August 2nd, 2007, 07:55
Yeah, I do have to pay for my hotel, but I'm not in the Keio Plaza -- I moved out to the Star Hotel, which is just one step up from a love hotel. The superintendent, a truly awesome guy, spoke flawless English, and told me to keep all of my receipts for my hotel (they've already booked me on a ferry with their money), because travel expenses and whatnot are being taken care of courtesy of the good people of Tokyo. I asked in many ways if he was absolutely sure that we were going to be able to keep it and not have to pay it back later, and he said "Yes, all Tokyo JETs receive a 150,000 円 bonus at the beginning in addition to your monthly renumeration. We want our JETs to stay as long as possible."

Plus, I wasn't planning on spending any of it soon anyways. You can't even really buy anything on my island (though I might invest in some dive gear soon.)

Does anyone else find themselves really, really hating Trivial?

I mean, christ, does your apartment have blowjobs on call, too?

I kid, I kid!

Well, I was flipping through guest services this morning for my hotel, and found this.
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5631/img0158ag7.jpg
I mean, there's nothing wrong with an in-room massage at a sketchy hotel at 2 am. Right?

b.limey
August 2nd, 2007, 08:21
Wait, Tokyo jet?

Is there such a thing?

(Apart from the guys sent to those tiny islands that are technically part of Tokyo?)

Also - it used to be fairly common for Jets to be given settling in money. That's probably what it is.

If you're not fictional, I mean.

yourpalrachel
August 2nd, 2007, 09:22
"tokyo jet" is a bit of a misnomer. there's about 5 of us headed to the izu islands, poor me being the farthest from the mainland. hopefully i'll get a startup bonus, too. that'll make the 11 hour boat ride a little easier to take. :)

leene
August 3rd, 2007, 22:07
AH! You keep getting everything! I'm still jealous of your placement (you met me at pre-orientation) but I'm enjoying mine so I can't complain too much. =P Good luck figuring out if you can keep the money.

Baine
August 9th, 2007, 18:35
Last year, I also got start-up key money and my supervisor said that whatever was left over was to be used for other start-up expenses.

The thing is this. Your school allots a certain amount of money for each event. For example, when you have a mid-year prefectural conference, you'll get a set amount of money. There might be money left; if so, keep it. They don't want it back. It's already coming out of their budget and so it's yours. It's the Japanese way of thinking, so hey, just embrace it. ^_^