PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

tedcase
August 6th, 2007, 13:03
Anyone else in this situation,
its summer time and the schools are for the most part out, but i come in everyday, monday-friday, and i have sweet FA to do! seriously, i have NOTHING!
if somebody gave me some work i would do it, if the textbooks wern't so shite i would study japanese.

im just sitting here getting fat.

what is everyone else doing?

dombay
August 6th, 2007, 13:04
Get good textbooks. Ditch anything from CLAIR straight away.

Try Genki.

Doomer
August 6th, 2007, 13:24
You could stare at a wall...

But seriously here are a few worthwhile timewasting sites...

www.nuklearpower.com
www.homestarrunner.com
www.somethingawful.com
www.fark.com
www.vgcats.com
www.wikipedia.org
www.tsoalr.com
www.ithinkimlost.com

Hope you find something interesting on one of them...

jacqui
August 6th, 2007, 13:26
itil and facebook take up a good deal of time.

i'm very glad i have my students here for speech contest practice, so that takes up a lot of time.

i still have to stick a bunch of stuff back up on the LL wall, cuz it fell down.

study loads of japanese. i'm currently going through and reviewing all the kanji i know.

thestoryofjune
August 6th, 2007, 14:08
You could try writing poetry, or a novel...

Or an encyclopedia...

tedcase
August 6th, 2007, 14:09
no

jacqui
August 6th, 2007, 14:21
i'm starting a webcomic. :P

geek R i. :P

tedcase
August 6th, 2007, 15:01
sitting here with nothing to do is just making me lethargic.

now, i just cant be arsed to do anything like that.

wattiewatson
August 6th, 2007, 15:49
My friendly little grasshopper......

you are a cultural ambassador, go forth and spread you seed.

mteacher80
August 6th, 2007, 16:01
My friendly little grasshopper......

you are a cultural ambassador, go forth and spread you seed.

...but bring a tissue...

tedcase
August 6th, 2007, 17:02
yeah, thats not a bad idea, wanders off to frighten the natives.

kiwimusume
August 6th, 2007, 18:42
I'm studying my ass off for the 1kyuu. Nothing kills 6 weeks of no work like an exam that you stand shit-all chance of passing unless you spend most of your free time studying for it.

August 7th, 2007, 10:33
Set your self one goal and work toward it. Write a blog, study Japanese etc. You will feel way better if you have done something worthwhile. Try leave your office as often as possible, even if its a 5 min walk every half hour to the loo.
Take a nap

Saben
August 7th, 2007, 15:45
Going to the loo every 30 minutes? I hear there's something called incontinence pads.

augustine
August 7th, 2007, 15:49
Read the new Harry Potter, duh.

August 7th, 2007, 16:00
Going to the loo every 30 minutes? I hear there's something called incontinence pads.

Not to really use the loo, nitwit! Okay "going to the loo" every 30 minutes. In other words taking a walk with a pretense of purpose

augustine
August 7th, 2007, 16:04

Not to really use the loo, nitwit! Okay "going to the loo" every 30 minutes. In other words taking a walk with a pretense of purpose

I do this same thing so I can sneak around the back of the building and smoke.

p.s. - I haven't had to do something like that since I was 16. (I'm not really complaining.)

tedcase
August 7th, 2007, 16:05

thats a cigarrette break.

August 7th, 2007, 16:12

thats a cigarrette break.

Oh for heavens sake people :roll: Well considering I don't smoke, and don't encourage it, I will go take a "little walk" every 30 mins

dombay
August 7th, 2007, 17:05
Its not a cigarette break unless your actually taking a break from something.

augustine
August 8th, 2007, 09:09
Its not a cigarette break unless your actually taking a break from something.

It's a break from ITIL/facebook.

Speaking of which, this post was tiring.

BRB.

dombay
August 8th, 2007, 12:50
Facebook - Stalkertastic?

I mean I have enough little old ladies following me around my town to see what i buy at the supermarket (what do gaijin EAT?) I don't need need a world-wide stalkerbase.

August 8th, 2007, 13:25
Only my friends can access my Facebook page

augustine
August 8th, 2007, 13:27
Facebook - Stalkertastic?

I mean I have enough little old ladies following me around my town to see what i buy at the supermarket (what do gaijin EAT?) I don't need need a world-wide stalkerbase.

As far as I know, I've never been stalked via facebook.

Of course, it's one click to make your profile visible only to friends.

Also, thanks to the new Sorting Hat application I now know that I would be placed in Ravenclaw, which is integral to the lesson plan I'm working on.

wicket
August 8th, 2007, 16:02
Visit kids doing club and take photos.
Make an English board or info about you or your country board.
Create an English newsletter for your JTEs.
Study Japanese or whatever you were studying before JET.
Read a newspaper or book.
Make a seating chart for your staffroom and ask teachers to write their name and subject in the correct place.
Use the school swimming pool or gym.
Clean your language lab (if you have one); and redecorate the walls with posters and/or student work.
Make teaching materials (e.g. a boardgame, flashcards).
Help the gardener pull weeds.
Buy a pack of postcards of your area and write to people back home (email is all well and good but everyone loves something in their letter box).
If you just arrived, get a teacher's book and student lists and learn their names.
Find someone to play go or shoji with (ask them to teach you if you don't know how - most staffrooms have boards for both).
Make slideshows or DVDs on various themes that you can use in the classroom.
Make English manga on your computer, leaving some of the diaologue boxes blank for students.
Create competitions for students.

dombay
August 8th, 2007, 16:30
Study!

Go down to Maruzen this weekend and buy yourself a textbook. If you're a beginner get Genki and if you're not a beginner there is so many interesting textbooks you can get. Or start studying for the JLPT! Beginners can easily get to 4Q level or even 3Q if you really study hard.

if you're post beginner read the news or something in Japanese .. there's a site called furigana megane or something somehwhere or Rikai that can furigana it for it you.

This is an awesome way to get into Kyoto sensei and your JTEs goodbooks too and you'll never have a better opportunity than this to learn J. You have so many potential tutors around you if you don't understand and you are being paid to study.

kiwimusume
August 8th, 2007, 19:20
This is an awesome way to get into Kyoto sensei and your JTEs goodbooks too

Oh shit yeah! My BOE sup practically had an orgasm when I told her what I was going to spend my summer holidays studying for the JLPT.

dombay
August 8th, 2007, 20:04
This is an awesome way to get into Kyoto sensei and your JTEs goodbooks too

Oh shit yeah! My BOE sup practically had an orgasm when I told her what I was going to spend my summer holidays studying for the JLPT.

Yea i felt really guilty when i got here and was getting paid to study.

But no, they'll love you for it. They'll crack a shit when you use your new japanese on them too. They really like that. Even if it doesn't make sense.

They just get excited that someone's taking an interest in their culture - because their young people certainly aren't i suppose ...

dorovar
August 9th, 2007, 11:47
Study!

Go down to Maruzen this weekend and buy yourself a textbook. If you're a beginner get Genki and if you're not a beginner there is so many interesting textbooks you can get. Or start studying for the JLPT! Beginners can easily get to 4Q level or even 3Q if you really study hard.

if you're post beginner read the news or something in Japanese .. there's a site called furigana megane or something somehwhere or Rikai that can furigana it for it you.

This is an awesome way to get into Kyoto sensei and your JTEs goodbooks too and you'll never have a better opportunity than this to learn J. You have so many potential tutors around you if you don't understand and you are being paid to study.

Is there a Maruzen in Okayama-shi? I'd really like to pick up Genki.

augustine
August 9th, 2007, 13:07
Study!

I've used three different sets of Japanese textbooks at three different schools, and I fully agree with Dombay that Genki is the way to go.

dombay
August 9th, 2007, 17:39
Study!

Dorovar, yes, there is.

If you get the tram a few stops up from Okayama station to the Symphony Hall building just before it turns off the main road there's a covered shopping strip. English books are in Maruzen about 2 doors down and the Japanese language books as well as English novels and this and that are on the floor you walk in on, just after after and to the right of the escalators.

Genki is good but the CDs are quite hard to come buy and sort of expensive. However you should definitely get them because they help a lot. I realised this week how much my Japanese listening sucks because ive never put enough effort into it and noone in Okayama speaks standard Japanese - they all speak funny bens so the CDs are good.

Failing Maruzen there is also Kinokuniya in the Cred Building, you walk along that same covered shopping trip for a couple of intersections till you get to Kencho Dori which is a big cross street with Tomato Bank, Tenmaya, etc on it, walk right there till you get to a tall building and go up until you find the higher level of the book store. There's a good little English/Japanese study section up the back.

And while your there you can pick up a copy of the JLPT application form. It's a big test that we all do though its tough as nails. Excellently they are holding a test site in Okayama this year! No more overnighting in Hiroshima for us lucky Okayamans then? Expensiveo though. The form itself costs 500 yen then i think its another 5500 in application fees after that. I cannot work out why we all still do it? It's making me tear my hair out at the moment.